v18 HDR High Dynamic Range
(2018-03-16, 17:36)afedchin Wrote:
(2018-03-16, 17:05)Warner306 Wrote: madshi is using the private AMD/Nvidia APIs to turn HDR on
this is an unacceptable solution. We are trying to keep Kodi codebase independent of hw and private APIs.

Then you may have to wait a long time for a universal Windows solution. As I don’t think one exists.
(2018-03-16, 19:09)Warner306 Wrote: Then you may have to wait a long time for a universal Windows solution. As I don’t think one exists.
OK then. Why we should support private vendor APIs only because vendors don't want to properly implement common API - DirectX?
(2018-03-17, 10:56)afedchin Wrote:
(2018-03-16, 19:09)Warner306 Wrote: Then you may have to wait a long time for a universal Windows solution. As I don’t think one exists.
OK then. Why we should support private vendor APIs only because vendors don't want to properly implement common API - DirectX? 
 It's not the vendors that are the issue, it's Microsoft. The windows 10 creators update implemented HDR, and it's my understanding that they began requiring implementing their HDR API support from vendors in the WDM 2.2 driver standard. However, their implementation was/is terrible (google windows 10 nvidia hdr) and is actually why many started using old nvidia drivers from before WDM 2.2 -- to fix their HDR support. Likewise, this is why solutions like MadVR implemented the nvidia private APIs which ONLY work with those older driver versions, because to many it's the only way HDR works at all. The reason I know this is because it broke for me too after I updated windows and tried toggling the fancy windows-supplied HDR on my HDR-compliant hardware, twas broken sir! Googling ran me down the same rabbit hole as many others. I don't remember a lot of the details, but it had to do with a poor implementation/support of color spaces on windows part and weirdness they did with conversion making it only work in very-specific setups.

So it's like the other user said, doing it the one official way (which, mind, is still only valid for directx/windows...windows 10 creators update+ at that) is the commonly-held belief that thats usually the best way. But don't get your hopes up as the official way sucks turds right now until (Microsoft!) fixes it.
same story I heard for stereo 3D but some vendors implemented it properly and it works but some don't
I think MS attention is for HDR gaming.  The official MS Movies & TV app sort of shows how much they are concerned about playing back movie video.  Imo, there is nothing worse although they recently added a couple of video playback enhancements in the general settings menu but it still looks like something only a 4 year old would tolerate.  No high bitrate audios either.  I assume MS has little interest because the niche is already consumed by devices like a Shield.  Imo, KODI shouldn't implement HDR via the O/S but rather NVidia and AMD private API's to engage HDR mode at display level because they work.  Maybe it would encourage Intel to follow suit for NUC application.  It would be advantageous since hardware decoding could be implemented too.  As it stands, the software decoding under development is only going to work under specific conditions too so, specific API's doesn't seem out of line.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
WHO will support all this private APIs shit? May be you? I don't see a queue of those who wish to help in support windows platform.
We already have a lot of pain with different video acceleration APIs on linux I don't want the same on windows.
(2018-03-17, 23:31)afedchin Wrote: We already have a lot of pain with different video acceleration APIs on linux I don't want the same on windows.
Same old story. Too few win developers and many that work on linux. There's little we users can do. Sad
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
If I understand correctly, I should switch from windows to linux to run Kodi? On linux the bugs/problems are fixed and on windows maybe not?!
(2018-03-18, 08:10)moravec Wrote: If I understand correctly, I should switch from windows to linux to run Kodi? On linux the bugs/problems are fixed and on windows maybe not?!
 No one said that. Do you know how to run Linux? That would be a prerequisite. Most users are more comfortable with Windows.
(2018-03-18, 17:50)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-03-18, 08:10)moravec Wrote: If I understand correctly, I should switch from windows to linux to run Kodi? On linux the bugs/problems are fixed and on windows maybe not?!
 No one said that. Do you know how to run Linux? That would be a prerequisite. Most users are more comfortable with Windows. 
Most Windows users are comfortable with Windows, but knowing "how to run Linux" is not a pre-requisite when things like LibreElec exist.
(2018-03-17, 23:46)ashlar Wrote:
(2018-03-17, 23:31)afedchin Wrote: We already have a lot of pain with different video acceleration APIs on linux I don't want the same on windows.
Same old story. Too few win developers and many that work on linux. There's little we users can do. Sad 
I picked up an Nvidia Shield to run an Android build of Leia and a MINIX U9-H to run LibreElec. I realize not everyone is in the same position, but it might be time to shift away from Windows as cheaper hardware alternatives are providing HDR10 capable Hardware with Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=325077
(2018-03-18, 18:10)drpizznock Wrote:
(2018-03-17, 23:46)ashlar Wrote:
I picked up an Nvidia Shield to run an Android build of Leia and a MINIX U9-H to run LibreElec. I realize not everyone is in the same position, but it might be time to shift away from Windows as cheaper hardware alternatives are providing HDR10 capable Hardware with Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=325077

Great link. Thanks.

Kodi DSPlayer does all of this with no limitations, but it’s not Kodi. It is by far the best at color space conversions due to madVR.
(2018-03-19, 00:51)Warner306 Wrote: Great link. Thanks.

Kodi DSPlayer does all of this with no limitations, but it’s not Kodi. It is by far the best at color space conversions due to madVR. 
 Agreed, but getting DSPlayer stabilized with the right config and having Nvidia screw up their drivers between releases was not fun though.
(2018-03-19, 05:07)drpizznock Wrote:
(2018-03-19, 00:51)Warner306 Wrote: Great link. Thanks.

Agreed, but getting DSPlayer stabilized with the right config and having Nvidia screw up their drivers between releases was not fun though. 
 The new drivers are sorted out. And there are always external players for 4K UHD content alone.
FYI, this is what madshi had to say about HDR support in Windows just after the Nvidia private API became available:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p...ost1810891

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR High Dynamic Range2