GSoC 2018 - Better Profile Support
Hi
I'm Ibrahim Fathy, Computer and Systems Engineering student, Ain Shams University, Egypt.
Regarding to these questions in the link  328448 (thread)

1. Tell us about the computer(s) and devices you have available for working on your SoC project?
I have a laptop(Intel Core i5-5200U CPU 2.2GHz * 2) with 8 GB RAM. And a PC (Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz × 2) and 2 GB of RAM

2. When did you first start programming?
In 2014 to be exact, it was in C language

3. Are you a user of Kodi? When did you first start using it?
Well, frankly no, I’m not a user of Kodi, my first experience with it was two days ago. But I really find it interesting and remarkable.

4. Have you contributed to other Open Source projects? If so, which projects and can we see some of your code?
No, I haven’t contributed to other Open Source projects, this will be my first time.

5. What sorts of programming projects have you done on your own time?
Yes, I have been working on solving Big C++ reference’s problems and exercises, please have a look: https://github.com/IbrahimFathy19/Big-C

6. How much time do you have available, and how would you plan to use it?
In summer, starting from the end of June, i.e. after exams. I will be having all day free. It will be divided into self-study and project’s work.

--

I'm interested in this idea but there are somethings that are not clear yet:
1- What is meant by this "Being able to easily add more profile features is the big ultimate goal"?
Will I add more profile features OR make the code more flexible to accept something like that?

2- When talking about "as we want to support profiles for kids that automatically hide media that's not for them. Just as an example"
Will this includes Machine learning to analyse the videos -perhaps using OpenCV-? OR just let the "adult" user to specify whether or not these videos are not valid for the kids?

3- If I will add more features, I think I may add interests for each profile, and then the program should filters the data (Movies, TV shows, Music, ..., etc) upon the given interests. Something like what YouTube does. What do you think?
Hey, nice to have you here Smile

1. I would expect that the profile work is enough to fill the whole summer, but I might be wrong. In that case you could do some small features. But the important part is to have a solid groundwork.

2. My idea would have been to have the age/birthdate on a profile and then use the age restriction data from a media provider. Which I realize has it's onw problems looking at https://developers.themoviedb.org/3/cert...ifications some are helpful others are not.

3. Filtering sounds so hard, as in you will never see media that the algorithm thinks you don't like. A dedicated list might be a solution, as in I can say "I want to see what you recommend me Kodi". On that thought, there is another gsoc idea which is improved recommendations. So this will conflict if we accept any student for that.
Sorry for late answer, I was having some exams.
I double checked the profile codes and it doesn't seem that I understand what will I be working on ..
So would you explain to me what exactly needed to be done?
Frankly I don't know what to write in the proposal, little help will be very appreciated.

By the way, I was trying to build Kodi on my Ubuntu system and I keep getting the following errors: 
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148 (message):
  Could NOT find Lzo2 (missing: LZO2_LIBRARY LZO2_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:388 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  cmake/modules/FindLzo2.cmake:22 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  tools/depends/native/TexturePacker/CMakeLists.txt:7 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
I used the command: $ cmake xbmc/
xbmc directory contains the repo
(2018-03-23, 21:37)IbrahimFathy Wrote: Sorry for late answer, I was having some exams.
I double checked the profile codes and it doesn't seem that I understand what will I be working on ..
So would you explain to me what exactly needed to be done?
Frankly I don't know what to write in the proposal, little help will be very appreciated.

By the way, I was trying to build Kodi on my Ubuntu system and I keep getting the following errors: 
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148 (message):
  Could NOT find Lzo2 (missing: LZO2_LIBRARY LZO2_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:388 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  cmake/modules/FindLzo2.cmake:22 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  tools/depends/native/TexturePacker/CMakeLists.txt:7 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
I used the command: $ cmake xbmc/
xbmc directory contains the repo
 Well the idea was to remove profiles code completely and rethink how to best do it, then implement it in that way. Which should also be future proof.

For that error, I really can't help you as I'm not really using linux, but join #kodi-dev on freenode and somebody might be able to help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GSoC 2018 - Better Profile Support0