Faster Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
(2018-03-26, 11:43)Vimes Wrote: Would I be right in assuming that the case doesn't allow you to see the LED's on the Pi3 or the newer + model...?
The "gen 2" case has addressed all the problems of the first case when using Pi3 (and now Pi3+): LEDs visible, SD Card accessible, 100% SOC coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1m36s&v=E4YuteuSEuA
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2018-03-21, 21:33)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2018-03-21, 19:43)Milhouse Wrote:
(2018-03-21, 10:45)Vimes Wrote: For those who have the new 3+ Pi and one of the Flirc cases does it fit ok with the older thermal pad being a little thicker than desirable.?

I had no issues installing a Pi3+ into a FLIRC gen1 case with the thicker thermal pad. Mind you, I had been using it with a Pi3 so the pad was a little squashed already. I just went easy on the screws when putting the case back together and didn't over-tighten them.

This original FLIRC case that I have also isn't optimal for the Pi3/Pi3+ as the heatsink lug isn't entirely centred over the SOC - the original case is designed for the Pi2 and the Pi2 SOC is in a slightly different position to the Pi3, but the latest "gen 2" FLIRC case now fully covers the Pi3 SOC (and presumably Pi3+) so case temps might be even better than what I observed.  
I recently had to buy a tube of thermal paste to reseat the heat sink on an Intel Atom.  Would that be an alternative to the thermal pad? 
I have read that someone else just used thermal paste and it worked a treat.

Good luck.
(2018-03-26, 12:09)Milhouse Wrote:
(2018-03-26, 11:43)Vimes Wrote: Would I be right in assuming that the case doesn't allow you to see the LED's on the Pi3 or the newer + model...?
The "gen 2" case has addressed all the problems of the first case when using Pi3 (and now Pi3+): LEDs visible, SD Card accessible, 100% SOC coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1m36s&v=E4YuteuSEuA 
Many thanks Smile

I had read lots of blurb and still doing so but simply could not find that.

I have ordered the case....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Q...UTF8&psc=1

I now know it is a Gen 2 due to its looks.

I have also ordered the Pi3+ and they will both be with me tomorrow.

Again thanks for being prompt with your reply.

Hopefully it will not be as toasty as the Pi 3 was when using Kodi, especially with 720p HEVC material or just when summer arrives, hopefully it will this year...!
(2018-03-26, 12:09)Vimes Wrote:
(2018-03-21, 21:33)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2018-03-21, 19:43)Milhouse Wrote: I had no issues installing a Pi3+ into a FLIRC gen1 case with the thicker thermal pad. Mind you, I had been using it with a Pi3 so the pad was a little squashed already. I just went easy on the screws when putting the case back together and didn't over-tighten them.

This original FLIRC case that I have also isn't optimal for the Pi3/Pi3+ as the heatsink lug isn't entirely centred over the SOC - the original case is designed for the Pi2 and the Pi2 SOC is in a slightly different position to the Pi3, but the latest "gen 2" FLIRC case now fully covers the Pi3 SOC (and presumably Pi3+) so case temps might be even better than what I observed.  
I recently had to buy a tube of thermal paste to reseat the heat sink on an Intel Atom.  Would that be an alternative to the thermal pad?  
I have read that someone else just used thermal paste and it worked a treat.

Good luck. 
 Yeah.  Someone on Reddit said that they used Arctic Silver and it worked a treat.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
After two weeks in Florida I have finally managed to get my RPI3+.  I used a Rev 3 FLIRC case (apparantly the Rev 4 will ship with a 0.4mm thermal pad) and a drop of Arctic Silver on the CPU and watching a 1080p H264 video I am getting 37C.  I had to remove the insulators from the GPIO leads for my ambilight and reinsulate them with heatshrink sleeving to get them to fit.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Faster Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+0