Solved Kodi 18.0a1 crashing on video playback with hardware acceleration enabled
I'm using an Arch based OS called LinHES 8.5.1 for a home theater PC.  It is packaged with Kodi 16, so I compiled Kodi 17.6 which has been working reliably.  However, I was interested in testing out some of the new DRM capable addons that are available with Kodi 18, so I compiled the alpha version from source.  I am using a Geforce 210 video card and found that if I try to play videos with Hardware Acceleration (VDPAU) enabled that kodi segfaults.  If I play without hardware acceleration it appears to play okay, but obviously puts a larger burden on the CPU.  The first time I compiled it normally with built-in ffmpeg.  I also tried compiling it without the built-in ffmpeg, but saw the same symptoms.  I have the crashlog for the 2nd build with debugging turned on available here:
https://pastebin.com/kY9AgEtW
While the symptoms are the same, I understand that the cause could be different, so if it would be helpful to post a debug log for the build with built-in ffmpeg, I could reinstall it and post it here.

Other (potentially) useful command line output is as follows:
Code:
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
Can't load /etc/samba/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
/usr/bin/kodi: line 208:  6168 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ${KODI_BINARY} $SAVED_ARGS

I basically tried videos from Food Network, Cooking Channel, as well as recorded videos on the pvr.mythtv addon.

I am glad to provide any additional information to help troubleshoot this.  For the time being I have reverted to Kodi 17.6, but I could bounce back and forth if necessary.
Please install gdb, so that we can get a backtrace.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
You are not using our version of ffmpeg, which is the only supported one.
I installed gdb and installed kodi 18 with the built-in ffmpeg. As I mentioned earlier, the behavior is the same with this kodi install, but here is the crash log this time:
https://pastebin.com/JPqaYEcj

The stack trace looks empty.  Is there something more that I need to do?
If you can run kodi directly in gdb, e.g. gdb /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin afterwards get us the thread apply all bt
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I found directions for the gdb logging from another post here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223935

Here is my output:
https://pastebin.com/wCaUhUf0

Let me know if there is anything else that I can provide.
Crash is deep down in nvidia driver. Can you try version 304 instead?
Fritsch,

First of all, I haven't said thanks yet, so I want to thank you for your responsiveness to my posts.  I'm sure that you're inundated with support requests and you're going above and beyond.

In answer to your question, I wonder if you meant to try the 340 NVidia driver?  I'm not expecting you to read this post, but I wanted to link to it for completeness anyway, and then I will summarize:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329670

I have a Geforce 210 and primarily run mythtv on it.  In an update to the OS a few months ago, the driver was updated from 304 to 340, which are both legacy Nvidia drivers that support the Geforce 210.  However, the 340 would cause mythfrontend lockups, so I reverted back to 304 and have not been experiencing the lockups.

If you think it could be driver related and that it would be beneficial to the community, I could temporarily upgrade to the 340 driver to see if it works, but I don't think that would be a long-term solution for my particular situation.  I understand that both the 304 and 340 drivers are legacy and that the support for this card has been dropped in later drivers, so it may not be productive for you to continue supporting them, in which case I would look at "upgrading" to a newer inexpensive nvidia card, like the GT 710 which is supported with newer drivers.

In any case, can you let me know if I am interpreting your request correctly that you would like me to test Kodi 8 with the 340 Nvidia driver and presumably if it crashes, post another backtrace?
Yeah, sorry I misread that in the morning:

Quote:
  1. #0  0x000000004007fe57 in ?? ()
  2. #1  0x0000000040000000 in ?? ()
  3. #2  0x00007fffcd96444c in ?? ()
  4. #3  0x0000000000000006 in ?? ()
  5. #4  0x0000000040000000 in ?? ()
  6. #5  0x00007fffedc77d1a in ?? () from /usr/lib/nvidia/libnvidia-glcore.so.304.137
  7. #6  0x00007fffedc7f680 in ?? () from /usr/lib/nvidia/libnvidia-glcore.so.304.137
  8. #7  0x00007fffed92f914 in ?? () from /usr/lib/nvidia/libnvidia-glcore.so.304.137
It's fully in the driver - I have no idea what could prevent that.
Thanks for the response @fritsch
For thoroughness, I will try to see what happens with Nvidia driver 340 over the weekend.

To play the devil's advocate, the same video plays fine with this Nvidia driver in Kodi 17.6, so something must be handled slightly differently before calling the Nvidia driver, so it appears to have been introduced in Kodi 18.

I will keep you in the loop with what I find.
As long as you use gentoo with absolutely unsupported libraries, I play devil's advocat -> blame gentoo's stack.
(2018-03-21, 08:02)fritsch Wrote: As long as you use gentoo with absolutely unsupported libraries, I play devil's advocat -> blame gentoo's stack.
 I take your point, but it is actually an arch distro  Blush

Closing the loop on this, hardware acceleration appears to work fine with the Nvidia 340 driver.  However, since mythtv does not play as nice with that driver with this card, I will be downgrading back to nvidia 304 and kodi 17.6 and considering replacing the Geforce 210 with something newer like a GT 710 in the future, so that I can continue testing Kodi 18.  Hopefully the information we have gathered will be helpful for others.  Thanks for all of the help @fritsch
Marking this as solved.  It only did not work with the geforce 210 with 304 series drivers.  It worked with geforce 210 and 340 series drivers as well as GT 710 with driver series 387.22.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18.0a1 crashing on video playback with hardware acceleration enabled0