OS X MariaDB setup on OSX
Hey guys,

I've followed the great https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=157572 but wanting to setup with MariaDB as the Kodi team appear to be migrating to this in the short term.  I keep hitting problems setting this up on OS X High Sierra and wondered when/if there was a guide for MariaDB specifically.

Following the guide, it misses starting/setting up Apache, permissions, editing CONF files, then setting up phpMyAdmin to try and make it easy on myself, but now I seem to be stuck at a simple user/pass Sad
(2018-03-19, 20:56)phreedumb Wrote: Hey guys,

I've followed the great https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=157572 but wanting to setup with MariaDB as the Kodi team appear to be migrating to this in the short term.  I keep hitting problems setting this up on OS X High Sierra and wondered when/if there was a guide for MariaDB specifically.

Following the guide, it misses starting/setting up Apache, permissions, editing CONF files, then setting up phpMyAdmin to try and make it easy on myself, but now I seem to be stuck at a simple user/pass Sad

If you are referring to the wiki guide for OS X, it doesn't miss Apache/phpmyadmin, instead it sets it up through commands in terminal. Once those are completed you really don't need phpMyAdmin as managing the DB can be done from Sequel Pro app (or similar).
I ran A MySQL DB from a mac mini for years without issue, but once Sierra was released, Apple changed permissions for /usr/local or something because my DB install stopped working and I could not get it back after removing/reinstalling etc. I kept hitting the same wall with trying to start the DB so I could create the user/pass. I finally gave up and moved to a Qnap, washing my hands of OS X and MySQL. 
Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did, I don't want to discourage you. I wish I could give you a guide for this but best I can offer is a poor experience with MySQL on OS X.
Thanks for the reply!  I'm trying to avoid additional hardware but it may be necessary to minimize the pain.  After seeing that it has a Sonarr and Radarr I might have to invest, then move my shared storage to that, instead of via my router.
(2018-03-22, 05:01)phreedumb Wrote: Thanks for the reply!  I'm trying to avoid additional hardware but it may be necessary to minimize the pain.  After seeing that it has a Sonarr and Radarr I might have to invest, then move my shared storage to that, instead of via my router.

Make sure you exhaust all avenues before pulling out your wallet. You may want to try a few google searches for "high sierra + mysql/mariadb". A quick search brought me to this one that was not available at the time I was having issues. Either way, good luck!
I did some searching and didn't see this one, will give it a try, else I love an excuse for new toys Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MariaDB setup on OSX0