kodiBuntu? Few other basic questions
I have a NUC box that has no OS on it.  I am thinking about using it for just Kodi. I have never done anything with Linux but think Linux may work for me in this case.  I clicked on the Download link for the Linux version of Kodi and it mentioned that I should look at KodiBuntu instead.  This installs a very basic version of Linux and then Kodi.  The Wiki for this has not been updated since June 2017. 
1) Is this dead? 
2) Is it going to be dead soon?

My current setup is on a Nvidia Shield TV.  Currently I have an external HDD that stays attached to this that I transfer files to via a 2nd portable drive.  I use an app called File X-plore.  A wireless transfer over my home network is too slow.
3) If I install KodiBuntu is there a similarly easy way to transfer files from one drive to another by attaching both to the box?

If I choose to install Unbuntu or Mint can someone point me in the direction for relatively easy Kodi installation onto this OS?
Generally Kodibuntu isn't supported anymore at all.

If you want to use this box for Kodi only, I would take a look at LibreELEC. LibreELEC (LE) is based on Linux as well and it's installation is pretty easy. You don't need to have any Linux knowledge at all to use that. Only thing what should be mentioned is, that LibreELEC is a read-only system. That means it doesn't have a package manager like other Linux distros and (beside Add-ons and Docker) you can't install anything additional onto that OS. If you don't need anything else than Kodi, then that would be the ways to go.

If you want to use other software beside Kodi on that NUC, then I wouldn't recommend Mint. Ubuntu might be the best OS to use as Kodi has it's own repository where you are easily able to install Kodi from.

We will love to help you with the distro of your choice. Which distro you will choose is up to you Wink. So let us know what your decision will be that we could provide specific help.

For the use of a filemanager and  moving files, you can use both systems. Ubuntu has a real file-explorer which you might already know from Windows-like systems. You are also able to move files while only using Kodi and its filemanager. That might look a bit different but it will also work. That would be the case then, if you choose to use LibreELEC.

To make a long story short...the tasks you mentioned can be done with both (Ubuntu and LE). It just have to be done differently. So if you don't need additional software beside Kodi I would use LE, in case you need something else, take Ubuntu.
My plan is not have anything else on the box other than Kodi. This is assuming that I can still use the Kodi add-ons such as the scrapers and subtitles.  Along maybe a few other add-ons. 
Should I be concerned at all about drivers and the like?  I just learned no bluetooth ability but does have wifi.   I am thinking of buying one of these bluetooth dongels. Will they work if I install LibreELEC.  If not, can I add a USB Hub and put a wireless mouse/keyboard combination on it?
LibreELEC is file-wise basically one readonly big blob as a system. You cannot install additional drivers in case you need a fix. However, LibreELEC is using a pretty uptodate Linux kernel, so hardware support should be quite good. Yet, there is always *THAT* possibility... Smile

You can testdrive LibreELEC on a USB stick if you like, no installation on HDD/SSD required (but recommended when you decide to use it permanently).
I tried to reply via mobile but it looks like that didn't work. 

I think if install it on a USB drive I can't very test whether the dongle works.  I think I may just install libreELEC and see what happens.  If it doesn't work, can I install Ubuntu right away or do I need to uninstall libreELEC first?
I am thinking if the bluetooth won't work I can either my Ipazz wireless controller or a wireless mouse/keyboard set up.  Both have their own wireless dongles that (I hope) will work.
Sorry for the series of replies but I was looking into LibreELEC and it brought up another question.
I have a Kodi box I purchased from Amazon a while back that I do not use.  It has been sitting around doing nothing.  This is an andriod box.  It has a GPU: Mali-450, Octo-Core GPU, Chipset: Amlogic S812 Quad-Core Cortex A9 2.0GHz. It has 2GB of Ram and 8GB of storage.   Can I install LibreELEC on this?  As in if I set up a bootable USB drive will it install?
What format should I format my external hard drive that I'm going to be storing the media on? the drive I plan on using is currently attached to eat Nvidia Shield TV and formatted for internal storage so I have to reformat it once I disconnected from The Shield TV and put it on my box.
LibreELEC will read nearly any format on external storages. To keep things simple, I would choose NTFS. NTFS might not work on the shield probably, but will work on LibreELEC and Windows,

S812 devices have community support at LibreELEC forums. That means it's not officially supported but some LE-Team members are providing builds for those. Mostly those in some kind of dual-boot system where LE is installed on the SD-card. It also could be installed internally on NAND. But you will loose the android installation then.

not sure about thouse BT devices you own. the LibreELEC forum might be a better place to ask at in relation to specific hardware support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodiBuntu? Few other basic questions0