Solved Add additional categories / Separate different content type
My Server has the following drives:

P: =\\server\music
T:=\\server\TV Shows
U:=\\server\movies
V:=\\server\Documentaries
W:=\\server\Photos
Z:=\\server\Stand Up Comedy.

T: is made up of 3 physical hard disks with folders accessed through symlinks. U:\ is made up of 5 physical disks also accessed via symlinks. This is because there are only 26 letters in the alphabet. I realize I could simply add the drives as additional folders in the source, but this is a mixed environment where Windows Explorer is also used to access content.

Initially Documentaries and Stand Up Comedy were part of the Movies source.

I've been asked to split them out, as they make the library bloated, and I am about the only person in the family who watches that stuff.

I had a read of this thread.. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=89678 but I'm not sure it applies to my situation. I'm also using Rapier and not the Transparency skin.

I would like to add Comedy and Documentary (Is that too long for the skin?), onto the menu where Movies, System, General, etc... are located.

What is the best way to achieve this?

thank you.
I know Gade can provide a more comprehensive answer for Rapier skin, but I just wanted to quickly jump in and point you to the wiki page... https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_Home_Items

Also a link to Rapier instructions at the bottom.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-03-22, 22:42)Karellen Wrote: I know Gade can provide a more comprehensive answer for Rapier skin, but I just wanted to quickly jump in and point you to the wiki page... https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_Home_Items

Also a link to Rapier instructions at the bottom.
Thanks for that. I had actually read that page, and I've read the rapier wiki several times.

Clearly I'm a complete noob because I haven't been able to get it to work.
Hi Yanta.

Are your Comedy and Documentary sources set up in Kodi?
Are they added to your library or do you use them as video content?
(2018-03-23, 14:58)Gade Wrote: Hi Yanta.

Are your Comedy and Documentary sources set up in Kodi?
Are they added to your library or do you use them as video content?
 Yes sources are set up
Yes they are added to library
I see them all in the movies category.
Most of them are incorrectly named or missing details as I haven't created the NFOs for them yet.
I would filter out Comedy and Documentaries from your regular movies and create seperate home screen categories for each of them.

• Go to Videos > Click up or left to go to the top options menu bar > Click the toggle button (number 3 button from left) to see the extra options > Click Edit Nodes
  • If you haven't installed library node editor, you'll be prompted to install.
  • Once the addon's started, you can edit all library nodes.
  • Edit your movies library node and click Add Rule
  • I would create something like "Path does not contain V:\" and "Path does not contain Z:\"
  • You can browse to enter the correct path.

Create your new library nodes:
  • Go back and create a new parent node
  • Enter the name Documentaries
  • Create a rule that fits. I would create something like "Path contains V:\"
  • You can browse to enter the correct path.

Do the same for Stand Up Comedy.
Right click both your new nodes to bring up the context menu and add them as Favourites.

Go to Skin Settings > Home > Change Category Actions
Find Movies and click it.
It will probably say that "Title" is default. Change it to "Library Nodes: Title".

Now create your custom categories.
  • Skin Settings > Home > Add more categories
  • Activate Custom 1
  • Type: Favourite
  • Path: Find your new Documentaries node
  • Name: Documentary or whatever
  • Add icons, widgets or backgrounds if you wish.

Do the same for Stand Up Comedy and use Custom 2.
Hi, sorry for the delay in responding. Have been unwell.

Anyway, thanks for the solution. Where I went wrong was adding the node to my favorites. This solution works perfectly. I decided to move the documentaries to the TV node.

Down to the last few minor problems now...
Sounds great.

So you got everything regarding the home screen categories up and working?

Let me know if you have sny other questions or suggestions.

I'll mark this thread as solved.
Yes I did.

I have a couple of big jobs ahead - creating a script to create the NFO files. I'm not going to do that by hand.
I've written a script to create the stub files which takes about 2 seconds to run. I should have done that in the early days instead of creating them by hand.

I do have more questions, but I don't think they are skin related so I'll post in a different sub-forum
Sounds really cool and much easier creating your own script!

Cheers
Sorry to necro this thread but I also want to do something like this.  I'm using the Rapier skin so I my simple question (before I jump in and make a mess) is, are the instructions still valid or am I going to trip over changes in kodi and the skin made in the last 4 years?

Thanks,
Hi @leng

I just read through the thread and all instructions still seem very valid.

If you follow them you should be fine.

Please let me know if you have any issues doing this. Wink
Thanks @Gade 

I'll give it a go next week.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add additional categories / Separate different content type0