iOS ff-h264-vtb (HW) vs ff-h264 (SW) Decoding
(2018-03-29, 19:42)FernetMenta Wrote: this should fix it: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13711
 Thanks for the quick patch.  Unfortunately, the fix didn't work.  My previous false positive interlace video failed to play.  It hangs and keeps saying "Working..." and playback never starts.  I've also tested on a real H.264 interlaced video and it also failed.  This time I can hear the sound from the movie, but no video.

BTW, I don't know if Memphiz has already sent you a test clip.  If you don't have it, let me know your email address and I'll send it to you to test.
vtb on my Macbook fails to decode this sample.
FYI, when I applied the interlace fix that I posted above on the latest Kodi source code 18.0, I only got a red screen when playing my test clip.  However, with my same interlace fix on Kodi 17.6 source tree, vtb played back the test clip perfectly.  I also got various problems with Kodi 18.0 on other video files which worked perfectly fine with Kodi 17.6.  Thus, I believe the problem is with the latest 18.0 Kodi source tree.
The last change brought another issue to surface I just submited a patch for: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13712

But this does not change the fact, that we can't assume that vtb can decode your sample.
If vtb can't decode my sample, why vtb on Kodi 17.6 can decode my sample perfectly?  Are you saying the problem is the hardware vtb decoder incompatible with my test clip?
I said that we can't assume that vtb on every system can decode it. If I allow vtb on my MacBook to decode your sample, I get a green screen.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Are you able to test the vtb decode with Kodi 17.6 on your Macbook?
I haven't compiled v17 in more than a year. Why don't you test with v18?
I don't have a real Mac to test.  I do the Kodi source code compilation via a Hackintosh and it's not capable of using hardware decode.  From your testing with  Kodi 18 resulting in green screen on the test clip.  I've a similar experience with iPad Air running Kodi 18 on the same test clip and got a red screen.  However, Kodi 17.6 plays the clip perfectly with vtb.  I believe the culprit is very likely to be Kodi 18.
(2018-03-30, 16:20)phantom8 Wrote:   I believe the culprit is very likely to be Kodi 18.
 There is very little change in vtb related code between v17 and v18. More likely that it broke in ffmpeg.
It's not a problem for me.  I'll just stay on v17.6 as it plays all my H.264 videos with my little interlace patch.  Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look into the issue.
I now have access to a real Mac.  Just for the sake of completeness, I have done additional testing.  With Kodi 17.6 running on Mac, my sample clip plays fine with VTB.  As for Kodi 18 on Mac, I got a green screen.  Thus, I can now conclude my sample clips works fine with VTB.  It's just Kodi 18 (or the libraries that it uses) is having issues with some of the video files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ff-h264-vtb (HW) vs ff-h264 (SW) Decoding0