GSoC 2018 - Interested in the "Better Profile Support" project
Hi! I'm Javier Ballesteros, a 20 years old Computer Engineering student in the University of Extremadura (Spain). I'm currently on my 3rd year of the degree.
I'm interested on this project because I think it matches my skills the best because I love C++ (plus I have never written Python code, so I can't find other Kodi projects suitable for me).
  • What would I do?
I've taken a look at the source code on the Git Hub, also I've tested the lock functionalities on the application.
I think that profile settings should allow more customization (all done by the Master User, of course) and not only the lock settings. 

A tag filter might be a good solution for hiding content to some users. This has also a problem because the Master User might have to block plenty of tags, so I propose adding predefined filters which would already be configured and could be customized by the Master User.

Filters could also have extra options in order to have a more precise control of the locked content if needed, such as "Show only media tagged with xxxxxx" or "Hide media tagged with xxxxxx"

This of course could be expanded with more functionalities if required Smile
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:  Working with tags may add more features, like a list which shows related content with the same tags as the media content the user has watched. This content will be chosen from the filtered list to avoid unfiltered content.

Filter profiles can also be saved, just like user profiles. This helps in the way that the Master User can create his own filter profiles (or customize the existing ones), save them and apply them into another profile.

Timeline:
          -First Evaluation: This is the toughest one because I will have exams until the 12th of June, but I will still have free time to work. I will implement at least a functional filtered list.
          -Second Evaluation: With the filtered list previously implemented, the other tasks seem easier to do. Predefined profiles and extra filtering options will be implemented for the second evaluation
          -Last Evaluation: Related content lists and own filter profiles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Tell us about the computer(s) and devices you have available for working on your SoC project?
I only have a desktop pc.
Specs:    AMD Ryzen 7 1700X with 16GB RAM and a Radeon R9 390 GPU
  • When did you first start programming?
I started programming three years ago with C++. Currently I can write code in C/ C++, java, VHDL and assembly, but I'm willing to learn more languages if needed
  • Are you a user of Kodi? When did you first start using it?
Yes! I use Kodi as Mecia Center on my Raspberry Pi. I also use Kodi on Amazon Fire Strike TV.
  • What do you primarily use Kodi for?
I use Kodi because I like to have all the media accesible with just one app. Plugins also help by allowing me to link accounts from sites like Youtube or Crunchyroll
  • Have you contributed to other Open Source projects? If so, which projects and can we see some of your code?
No. This would be my first collaboration.
  • What sorts of programming projects have you done on your own time?
When I program in my own time I do small things, such as a small program which changes colors to images (I'm really bad with photoshop, so I had to make a program which did it for me).
I'm also learning C# in order to program videogames in Unity.
Also, I've participated in a parallel programming contest in C++ which took place this month in my University and won the first prize.
  • How much time do you have available, and how would you plan to use it?
In summer I will be having all the days free. I plan to work as much time as this project needs. 
  • Do you plan to have a job or study during the summer in conjunction with Summer of Code?
No.

UPDATE: I have now uploaded projects to a GitHub account, so you can take a look Smile
  • If you have not contributed to open source projects, do you have other code we can look at?
Yes! https://github.com/BlazeNeko
Hello there and welcome Smile
Don't forget the proposals are always open to different ideas, if you are a C programmer then you could literally do anything on the project Wink

Nice to see you like Assembly language! Sounds like you have some good skills there Smile
Thanks! I'll try to do my best Big Grin
I've edited my post, adding more ideas and a possible timeline
UPDATE: Projects uploaded to a GitHub repository, so you can take a look Smile
There was a previous GSOC project accepted to provide better profile support however the student had to drop out very early on due to personal issues arising preventing any work on it being done, so I don't believe any coding got underway but in case there's anything useful in the discussions regarding ideas for what might be required see:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222006
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220295
I really like the idea of an independent watched state for each profile. I could implement that too Smile
Addons separated per profile is another awesome idea, but other student has already suggested it this year.
An improved framework is something that I would implement with my modifications. I like having a well structured code.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GSoC 2018 - Interested in the "Better Profile Support" project0