GSoC 2018 - Interested in "Better Profile Suppor" and "Addon submissions" projects
2018 - Interested in "Better Profile Suppor" and "Addon submissions" projects

Hi! My name is Carlos Muñoz, I’m 20 years old and I’m studying Computer Engineering at University of Extremadura, in Spain. I’m on my 6th semester at university (3rd year).
I’m interested on two ideas:

=Better Profile Support:=

I’m interested in that idea because can be done fully by one of my well-known languages, C++.

I have some ideas here to make profiles system more attractive to users.
First, it should be easy and comfortable to use profile system. The second part is as important as the first ones. Humans are lazy, especially when we are sitting in front of our PC thinking on doing exactly what we want to do, and no one extra thing.

For that reason, I think that would be nice if users can switch profiles easily without entering in settings menu. Usually users that enter in settings menu are locking for a change of something in the program, but when you want to change your profile is cause you want to start using the program, so this change should improve user experience.

I would put this improvement on a small button in the main Kodi menu. This button would be in a discreet place of the main menu, as it could be in some of the corners of the bottom of the main menu. This button would show the avatar of the profile and when pressed, would show a simple menu with entries as a list, in which each entry would be a different profile (with its name and avatar). It would also show a "+" to be able to add profiles quickly, and a gear that would lead directly to the menu entry dedicated to the profiles.
I leave you an example here: https://ibb.co/cWyJFS

About the task of hiding unappropriated content for children, I think that It can be done by implementing a tag system. This tag system would mark content and we just have to put filters that hide unappropriated content. For that, we can make a new entry in profiles menu where u can mark a profile as “Protected from unappropriated content”, making this profile suitable for children.
We can take advantage of the tags system to restrict a profile, so that the content referred to in the tags appears. For example, you could have a profile only for horror content, and therefore want to see only content with the terror tag.

=Addon submissions:=

I’m interested in that idea because it can be done by my other well-known language, Java.

I’m thinking about the solution and the side about user experience, that should be very good, is no problem. I know too much the bad feeling that a person can get when he/she faces with bad apps that are anti-intuitive, ugly or so complex that make you want to cry or scream “what was his creator thinking when he made this?”.
I love photography, something that gives me a little knowledge of what beauty is, I suppose, and I hate people who do things fast and bad, without worrying about details and leaving things ugly.
By the side of what the app should do, there should be no problem if Java is able to do this (connecting to GitHub, logging in, submitting the addon, etc.)

Something about me:
  • Tell us about the computer(s) and devices you have available for working on your SoC project?
I have a laptop MSI GE62 6QD Apache Pro.

Specifications:
  Intel Core i7-6700HQ
  16 GB RAM
  NVIDIA GTX 960M
I leave here a link if you need more info: https://es.msi.com/Laptop/GE62-6QD-Apache-Pro.html

I have others PC in my home, so I can taste things twice or more in different machines (and platforms if needed)

• When did you first start programming?
My real first time was six years ago. A friend who knows Visual Basic starts teaching me. I stop learning soon because I didn’t like the way he teaches me (he just leave me code, tutorials and I had to solve my own problems).
Later, I got into university and I started learning C++. Teachers were politer with me, so I got a good experience and that made me to continue learning.

Now I know C/C++ (and OpenMP library, so I can parallelize code), Assembly, Java and VHDL. (and I know too the importance of a good maintenance in code)

• Are you a user of Kodi? When did you first start using it?
Yes. I discovered Kodi few weeks ago by a friend who recommended it to me. I was so surprised when I discovered Kodi because I didn’t know any software that would allow all the multimedia elements to be put together in a single program and to do it in an attractive way (which is very important).
I’m exploring Kodi functions and services fast to know well what I can do with Kodi. Is amazing that Kodi was an Opensource Software. I found potential here and I’m getting much ideas to improve Kodi

• What do you primarily use Kodi for?
I used Kodi for photography. I was looking for good looking app for viewing my photos, but soon I discovered an app for doing much things like music, movies, TV and radio, etc. so I grouped all my media here.

• Have you contributed to other Open Source projects? If so, which projects and can we see some of your code?
No. This is my first time so don’t be rude pls. :3

• What sorts of programming projects have you done on your own time?
Normally I make programs that teachers put to us (student) as exercises. Out of that, I use to make little programs for testing new knowledge I acquire at university.

• How much time do you have available, and how would you plan to use it?
I will be free like a firefly at summer, so I have time enough to work.

• Do you plan to have a job or study during the summer in conjunction with Summer of Code?
No. As I said, I’ll be free at summer, so I can say that “GSoC will be my work at summer”.
Hey and welcome Smile

Well you will have to choose one project and write a throughout proposal for that.
Ok. Then, my final proposal looks like this:

2018 - Interested in "Addon submissions" projects

Hi! My name is Carlos Muñoz, I’m 20 years old and I’m studying Computer Engineering at University of Extremadura, in Spain. I’m on my 6th semester at university (3rd year).

Addon submissions:

I’m interested in that idea because it can be done by one of my well-known languages, Java.

I’m thinking about the solution and the side about user experience, that should be very good, is no problem. I know too much the bad feeling that a person can get when he/she faces with bad apps that are anti-intuitive, ugly or so complex that make you want to cry or scream “what was his creator thinking when he made this?”.
I love photography, something that gives me a little knowledge of what beauty is, I suppose, and I hate people who do things fast and bad, without worrying about details and leaving things ugly.
By the side of what the app should do, there should be no problem if Java is able to do this (connecting to GitHub, logging in, submitting the addon, etc.)
I can use Java GUI api, JavaDoc, and good Java practices (like Hierarchy, Polimorfism, Upcasting, Downcasting, use of patterns, etc.)

Something about me:
Tell us about the computer(s) and devices you have available for working on your SoC project?

Specifications:
Intel Core i7-6700HQ
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 960M
I leave here a link if you need more info: https://es.msi.com/Laptop/GE62-6QD-Apache-Pro.html

I have others PC in my home, so I can taste things twice or more in different machines (and platforms if needed)

When did you first start programming?
My real first time was six years ago. A friend who knows Visual Basic starts teaching me. I stop learning soon because I didn’t like the way he teaches me (he just leave me code, tutorials and I had to solve my own problems).
Later, I got into university and I started learning C++. Teachers were politer with me, so I got a good experience and that made me to continue learning.

Now I know C/C++ (and OpenMP library, so I can parallelize code), Assembly, Java and VHDL. (and I know too the importance of a good maintenance in code)

Are you a user of Kodi? When did you first start using it?
Yes. I discovered Kodi few weeks ago by a friend who recommended it to me. I was so surprised when I discovered Kodi because I didn’t know any software that would allow all the multimedia elements to be put together in a single program and to do it in an attractive way (which is very important).
I’m exploring Kodi functions and services fast to know well what I can do with Kodi. Is amazing that Kodi was an Opensource Software. I found potential here and I’m getting much ideas to improve Kodi

What do you primarily use Kodi for?
I used Kodi for photography. I was looking for good looking app for viewing my photos, but soon I discovered an app for doing much things like music, movies, TV and radio, etc. so I grouped all my media here.

Have you contributed to other Open Source projects? If so, which projects and can we see some of your code?

What sorts of programming projects have you done on your own time?
Normally I make programs that teachers put to us (student) as exercises. Out of that, I use to make little programs for testing new knowledge I acquire at university.

How much time do you have available, and how would you plan to use it?

Do you plan to have a job or study during the summer in conjunction with Summer of Code?
No. As I said, I’ll be free at summer, so I can say that “GSoC will be my work at summer”.
Should I make a new post with the new corrected proposal or shall I leave it here (like I did) ?
Leave it in this topic please Smile
Okay, then, my FINAL propose is here:
(I promise that is the last one Rofl )

2018 - Interested in "Addon submissions" projects

Addon submissions:

I’m interested in that idea because it can be done by one of my well-known languages, Java.

By the side of what the app should do, there will be no problem if Java is able to do this (connecting to GitHub, logging in, submitting the addon, etc. By using GitHub API)
And, about the addons checker in the client Im thinking on implement an algorithm with a little database with common addon errors and a way to detect this errors in before uploading addons.
I can use Java GUI api, JavaDoc, and good Java practices (like Hierarchy, Polimorfism, Upcasting, Downcasting, use of patterns, etc.)
I know Software Engineering methods too, so first I would do is to use UML diagrams for design the app, appearance and functionality as any natural engineering process. Wink

Something about me:
Tell us about the computer(s) and devices you have available for working on your SoC project?

Specifications:
Intel Core i7-6700HQ
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 960M

When did you first start programming?

Are you a user of Kodi? When did you first start using it?

What do you primarily use Kodi for?

Have you contributed to other Open Source projects? If so, which projects and can we see some of your code?

What sorts of programming projects have you done on your own time?

How much time do you have available, and how would you plan to use it?

Do you plan to have a job or study during the summer in conjunction with Summer of Code?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GSoC 2018 - Interested in "Better Profile Suppor" and "Addon submissions" projects0