Creating a new playlist menu viewtype
Hello all,

I'm new to posting but I've been using Kodi for about 6 months. I decided to dig into the skin code to see if I could make some tweaks. I've already dug around and figured out how to combine certain elements I like from various skins to put them into my own custom skin but I've had an idea I can't seem to find enough information about.

What I have is a folder of playlists I've made for various things like MCU movies and DCEU and Harry Potter etc. I can access this folder of playlists from one screen and then select a playlist and view it on another screen. What I've trying to figure out is if I can have a screen divided in 3 panels, the first being the folder list of playlists that I can scroll up and down through. When a playlist is highlighted the middle panel shows the contents of the highlighted playlist. I would then select "right arrow" and move to the center panel to scroll up and down through that list. The third panel would draw information from the highlighted selection in the second panel (or first item if control is in the first panel) and basically pull just the poster art and some basic file data info with a possible custom banner above the poster frame.

I'm not sure what sort of menu I'd have to create if this is possible to work because I can't seem to figure out how the settings menus work. Like once you go into settings and select Media you get another screen with a list on the left side that changes what's in the list on the right side. If that makes sense. Thinkinf if I can figure this out my idea should be easy?

For an example.

Panel 1                                                    Panel 2                                                               Panel 3

Marvel Cinematic Universe                    Iron Man                                                              MARVEL STUDIOS BANNER
DC Extended Universe                              The Incredible Hulk                                               Captain America Poster
Pixar Movies                                            Iron Man 2
Disney Animated Movies                           Thor
Best Picture Winners                                Captain America: The First Avenger
                                                             The Avengers
                                                             Iron Man 3                                                           Movie file data, year, rating, etc.
Is this not possible or have I asked in the wrong forum? Still trying to feel my way around here.
Nearly 300 views. Can anyone here help figure out some skinning ideas?
There is a skin that was modded to show 3 panels as you described above, but it was for Music. Maybe you can get some inspiration from it as it sounds like you know your way around skinning.

Unfortunately I can't find that thread but I have a suspicion that it was either @scott967 or @docwra that discussed it. Possibly even implemented into the mod by @scott967. Hopefully they can point you in the right direction.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thank you for these leads. I will dig further
Yep check this thread for details, should work with videos in the same way as music has been done.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=314969
I have been doing lots of reading and researching and tinkering but I'm stuck trying to understand some things when it comes to skinning. Hoping there's some skilled skinners out there willing to "teach a man to fish".

First, I am having a difficult time understanding how to get a new view type into an existing skin. Even simply duplicating an already existing and working viewtype and trying to rename it isn't leading me to success. That's half of my problem.

Second, I've read through the double and even triple lists view for music thread and looked at the only working skin viewtype that I've seen posted but I can not decipher how it works and how I might be able to adjust to work in the manner I am attempting.

I am attempting to create a single viewtype that will be directed from the home menu to a subfolder in the in-skin playlists folder and populate the first list with the contents (various playlists) of that folder. The second list will show the results of the focused first list item and the third pane pulls results of the focused item in the second list. For the music skin mod this seems to work but uses built-in pulls from the library. Plus I'm not able to figure out how to add that new viewtype into my modded skin anyways, if even possible.

I am running Kodi 17 and won't be looking to upgrade to 18 or beyond if MVC 3D support isn't carried over. I believe there are some changes to skinning between 17 and 18 but I don't think they are that overly drastic to greatly affect what I'm hoping to accomplish.

Is there anyone out there willing to offer some tips and help? Always greatly appreciated.
Can someone explain how to have a skin populate a list with “files” from a specified directory of playlists and then in focus show the results of the playlist in a second list? I’ve delved into skin views that show multiple lists but the calls and results are not simple to recognize with what I’m sure are a few advanced deep knowledge coding shorthand’s I do not understand.
Thanks to Angelinas I've answered almost all the questions I've had on this topic. The 2 list 1 view thread has a couple of small questions still going so anyone looking for more information should check that thread out.

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Creating a new playlist menu viewtype0