Multichannel HD audio with USB sound card
Is it possible to software decode HD audio in Kodi, and output it using USB sound card analog outputs ? Without using a receiver one could use powered speakers and powered subwoofer to get good 5.1 sound without spending a fortune. I am sure it's not possible to software decode "object audio" but anything except that ?

Does anybody use this kind of setup ? Is there a list of recommended sound cards working well both in Android and Libreelec ?
Regarding output - looks like Android has some issues with multichannel audio. The support was implemented in Android 6.0 but not much information is available at the moment.
And the app itself should support this configuration - e.g. even if Kodi supports it there's no guarantee it will work e.g. in Netflix app.
In LE it might work ootb because it's just ordinary linux audio stack.
Dunno about android, but this is certainly possible in linux. However if you want relatively cheap 5.1 I would look at the Logitech range. I have a Z5500 which is magnificent. [1] The current model is the z906. Optical and coax inputs.

[1] The reviewer I saw annoyed his stone deaf neighbour with it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think with Android such configuration (usb sound card w/ analog outputs) would bring lots of trouble. Nowadays everything seems to be optimized for HDMI/optical sound. I decided it's better to save money in different ways (buying a used receiver, etc). Can't say I'm happy to pay for lots of stuff I don't need (they put things in receivers your TV box already does a lot better) but we have what we have Sad

I'm not sure about Logitech sound. Right now I am using Edifier stereo bookshelf speakers and they sound wonderful to my ears - maybe not hifi quality but very close, and I'm picky about sound quality. Got these for $70 and I thought I could just buy 2 sets plus active subwoofer with crossover to get very cheap 5.1 (or more like 4.1 ?) with decent sound. Edifier has 5.1 set something like 760D but it's not available in my country.
MiniDSP U-DAC8

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-aud...ace/u-dac8
(2018-04-10, 16:49)Jdiesel Wrote: MiniDSP U-DAC8

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-aud...ace/u-dac8
For $255 I can buy a whole receiver which will not only decode audio, but also amplify the signal and make me coffee.
And I have checked also cheap HDMI splitters/dacs - they don't support decoding of HD audio
What you are asking for is a niche market, multichannel DACS are not common and other than the MiniDSP you need to starting looking at Pro Audio options. If you want to use your powered monitors you could also go the preamp/processor route but even more $$$.
Yep I know I did some research. HDMI devices other than receivers are not an option. The only affordable solution is to use an USB sound card and software decode everything inside the TV/media box, hence my question here...I have an Android box (Minix U9-H) and it's not an option for me because of bad Android support

Of course there's an option to use a 5.1 set, but that option is not very flexible (unless it's a receiver + speakers) and most likely would provide inferior sound quality in music.
Ahh if you already have 2 decent speakers then the Logitech might not be a good choice, as you've already paid for 2 of the 6 speakers needed!

You will really need a centre, that is where all the talking comes from. Can you buy single powered speakers?

Yes your idea will work, on linux at least.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The Logitech Z5500 is a LEGENDARY system from back int he day that cost several hundred when it came out and costs far more today since its out of production. The Z906 does NOT come close to the Z5500 is sound quality.  Logitech speakers have honestly gotten worse over the years and it would be better to just get a 5.1 soundbar like a Vizio if you want cheap 5.1.
I see, I didn't realise the successor was inferior. Thanks for the info.

I have a Vizio soundbar too, it is great. Rocks the bedroom. The wireless woofer and rears make it much easier - particularly as the TV is on a trolley. (Any solution where the view from our bedroom window was permanently blocked had no WAF, or me AF for that matter).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multichannel HD audio with USB sound card0