Simply done - NFS Share on Windows
This is a simple way of sharing your media on a Windows computer using NFS.
I have this running on my Windows 10 computer for a few weeks, should work on any Windows version.
There are too many posts about this and people not understanding how this is done, here is a simple way of doing it.
You need two applications that are a single file each, nssm.exe and WinNFSd.exe.

NSSM - the Non-Sucking Service Manager, download here: https://nssm.cc/ci/nssm-2.24-101-g897c7ad.zip
WinNFS, download here: https://github.com/winnfsd/winnfsd/relea...inNFSd.exe
Create a folder on your windows machine C:\PortableApps\WinNFSd and place both files in that folder.

Open a command prompt as administrator and paste something like this:
Code:
C:\PortableApps\WinNFSd\nssm.exe install Media-NFS C:\PortableApps\WinNFSd\WinNFSd.exe E:\Media /media
This creates a windows service named Media-NFS that shares the folder E:\Media as NFS and sharename is media.
Start the service and in Kodi on your Xbox point to it like you would any other NFS share.

If you place the files in another folder you need to replace the path to each file, if you have spaces in your path you need to add "" around the path like this:
Code:
"C:\My cool PortableApps\WinNFSd\nssm.exe" install Media-NFS "C:\My cool PortableApps\WinNFSd\WinNFSd.exe" "E:\My cool Media" /media

If you want to share multiple folders using NFS you will need multiple services, one for each folder share, like this:
Code:
C:\PortableApps\WinNFSd\nssm.exe install OtherMedia-NFS C:\PortableApps\WinNFSd\WinNFSd.exe E:\OtherMedia /othermedia

I hope this helps.
Great manual! Thanks.
Hi, I also wrote a guide about winnfsd here, in my implementation I'm using windows's startup folder (didn't know of such services as nssm - thanks).
I also use the exports.txt method for multiple paths sharing, so I don't have to use multiple services.
However (as you can read further on that thread) winnfsd comes with a big shortcoming, it doesn't support non-latin characters, so paths/files in non-latin won't work.
Thanks for this - unfortunately it does not seem to work for me. I'm using a Windows 7 machine. I'm not getting any errors... but I can't seem to find the NFS share either. Is there any way to test that the share was successfully set up from the machine you're sharing from? Thanks.
Sure, just open a command Window and run the WinDFSd.exe part and you will get output in the command window, and go to the folder where you placed the files (cd\PortableApps\WinNFSd) and run it like this: WinNFSd.exe E:\Media /media
The first part of the commands above is just making it a service so it runs always and you don't have to start it manually every time.

You can also try the solution by host505 as he linked to above in his post.
(2018-03-28, 11:11)fredfred Wrote: I have this running on my Windows 10 computer for a few weeks, should work on any Windows version.
Moving this thread to the general Windows section.
Nice TUT.  Thank you for sharing info like this.  In the event I decide to share NFS again, I have an option for what I used to use, Hanewin.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Greetings from Prague! 

I have followed, word for word, the instructions posted on this thread, unfortunately it did not work.

I just bought a new laptop, its running Win 10 version 1803, and despite me spending the better half of this evening trying to set-up a shared folder, following instructions on this forum and Kodi wiki pages, I just haven't managed to. Mind you, on my old laptop, I have somewhat managed to setup a SMB shared folder years ago, tried to do that again on this new one, but...to no avail.

Any help/tips will be highly appreciated! 
Many thanks in advance.
The only reason to share something using NFS on Windows is IF you cannot use SMB, so my guess is that you cant?
This tutorial only covers creating the share, it does not cover the whole networking setup and firewall config (if any) and blah blah blah...
I do have this exact config running on a Win10 1803 patched with every last patch so fully up to date, this is not the problem.
My guess is the problem you are having is related to something else and not just creating the share, something more related to generic network issue.
Since you do have two laptops I would start with just testing the connection between the two computers before getting in to sharing anything.
Best of luck Smile
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Indeed, as mentioned, while trying to setup the new laptop, to connect to the Xiaomi Mibox 3, in the same manner as my older laptop, it simply does not work, I tried to follow steps/instructions, but still does not fix.

Any idea where I could find a more comprehensive tutorial that might cover the other aspects that you mention might be the cause for SMB share not to work?
If you want to share something over the network at home there are a number of things that can go wrong.
Do you do name resolution or do use use IP addresses to access your devices? If you are, are these static or can they change?
That is just one of the things and I have no idea what you are doing... and none of it is really related to Kodi.

So my suggestion is this, share a folder on your new computer and try to access it from the old computer.
Search online using your favorite search engine and select a how to guide and try to follow it, when you get that working.
Try to config you box the also access that folder on your new laptop.
This way you will learn about networking, user accounts and permission - all vital to sharing data between computers and devices.
I'm sorry I cannot be more specific, but there are thousands of great guides explaining this that I found by just doing a simple google search like this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+share+a+fol...+computers
What it all comes down to, and nobody has all the knowledge ready the first time, is that things are all so easy once you know how to do them. This seems to apply especially when it comes to sharing files over a computer network.

If you truly want to use an NFS server, get yourself a simple (2nd hand?) PC computer and install Ubuntu Linux (server). You can have your full server up and running in under 15-20 minutes. If you know what you are doing...
  • Install Ubuntu Linux (server), on a small HDD or a quality USB stick of 4-8 GB.
  • Install the latest Ubuntu updates
  • Install NFS-server
  • Install OpenSSH-server for remote access & maintenance
  • Mount your media drive(s) via /etc/fstab
  • Create the NFS share(s) via the /etc/exports file
  • Restart the NFS-server service
  • Set up the UFW firewall
Done.
(2018-03-28, 11:11)fredfred Wrote: This is a simple way of sharing your media on a Windows computer using NFS.
I have this running on my Windows 10 computer for a few weeks, should work on any Windows version.
There are too many posts about this and people not understanding how this is done, here is a simple way of doing it.
You need two applications that are a single file each, nssm.exe and WinNFSd.exe.

NSSM - the Non-Sucking Service Manager, download here: https://nssm.cc/ci/nssm-2.24-101-g897c7ad.zip
WinNFS, download here: https://github.com/winnfsd/winnfsd/relea...inNFSd.exe
Create a folder on your windows machine C:\PortableApps\WinNFSd and place both files in that folder.

Open a command prompt as administrator and paste something like this:
Code:
C:\PortableApps\WinNFSd\nssm.exe install Media-NFS C:\PortableApps\WinNFSd\WinNFSd.exe E:\Media /media
This creates a windows service named Media-NFS that shares the folder E:\Media as NFS and sharename is media.
Start the service and in Kodi on your Xbox point to it like you would any other NFS share.

If you place the files in another folder you need to replace the path to each file, if you have spaces in your path you need to add "" around the path like this:
Code:
"C:\My cool PortableApps\WinNFSd\nssm.exe" install Media-NFS "C:\My cool PortableApps\WinNFSd\WinNFSd.exe" "E:\My cool Media" /media

If you want to share multiple folders using NFS you will need multiple services, one for each folder share, like this:
Code:
C:\PortableApps\WinNFSd\nssm.exe install OtherMedia-NFS C:\PortableApps\WinNFSd\WinNFSd.exe E:\OtherMedia /othermedia

I hope this helps.
 Hi. I made an account on this forum to thank you for this post. Turning on command prompt everey single time i wanted to stream soomething in the other room was becoming very tedious!

thanks again
(2018-07-17, 00:11)lawrence38 Wrote: Greetings from Prague! 

I have followed, word for word, the instructions posted on this thread, unfortunately it did not work.

I just bought a new laptop, its running Win 10 version 1803, and despite me spending the better half of this evening trying to set-up a shared folder, following instructions on this forum and Kodi wiki pages, I just haven't managed to. Mind you, on my old laptop, I have somewhat managed to setup a SMB shared folder years ago, tried to do that again on this new one, but...to no avail.

Any help/tips will be highly appreciated! 
Many thanks in advance.
When MS removed Homegroup from Windows v1803 that caused problems for networking.

I had lots of issues with my PCs not seeing each other on my home network after the latest updates and not being able to browse shares I knew were there.
But this has worked for me :-) and made all my PCs visible to each other again.

You have to do this on all your PCs. If you have both wired/wireless NICs do steps 1 & 2 on both cards.
  1. ​​​​​On the Network card properties Untick IPv6 protocol (unless you really need it).

2. ​​​​​​​On this IPv4 properties under "advanced" select the WINs tab and ensure you change the "NetBios setting" to "Enable NetBios over TPiP"

3. To get you PC's & shares visible again under File Explorer network section then most important part is to start some required services.

Push Win Key and type "Services", locate those services, start them and set Start type to Automatic. 

Services are:

- Function Discovery Provider Host

- Function Discovery Resource Publication

- SSDP Discovery

- UPnP Device Host
Hope this works for you too :-)
how do you remove services with this method? nvm i figured out it is remove instead of install

however i can not get both of the two folders i made services for to show up at the same time to kodion my xbox one, its only the last succesfull folder share installed

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Simply done - NFS Share on Windows0