Coffee Lake
Brick 
Hi All.
I'm Building A PC (Actually An HTPC) And I Should Probably Be Using The KODI Forums, But They're All Into Gemini Lake.
Anyway My Main Application For This Build Is 4K 10Bit HEVC Hardware Decoding, Initially All I Needed Was The i3-7100 Kaby Lake, I Then Stumbled Upon The i3-8100 And Further Down The Rabbit Hole I Found Myself With A Choice Between A 4 Core/4 Thread 8MB [i3-3850K; Which I'm Learning "K" Is Overclockable] And A 6 Core/6 Thread 9MB [i5-8400; Which Has Intel Turbo Boost] Which Basically/Technically Leaves Them Both 4Ghz Capable.
My Questions Are:
Which Is Better?
Also I Will Need A Z370
6 Fan Header Motherboard; For Cooler Master MF120L + RGB LED Fans - Which I'm Sure Will Aid Turbo Boost or Overclocking, Currently My Only Option Is The MSI Z370 Gaming M5 (Let Me Know My Options Please, 6 Fans, Assuming All Z370's Have RGB Fusion/Mystic Lights etc) Will Also Be Using An 8GB Vengeance Lpx [With Plans To Use Dual Channel, With A 2nd 8GB As There Will Also Be XMP [2.0] To Aid My Noob Self In Maxing my Build] Also M2 Optane Memory Probably Just The 16GB Variant..
Could Ya'll Help Me Decide Which Would Be My Buzz Word Worthy Budget Build CPU?
Also With Optane Memory As A Cache I Doubt 8MB/9MB Cache Would Matter Much Just Like The 1MB Difference, Plus I've Read L3 Are Generally Slower.
I Know This May Be Inappropriate, But Help, I'm Sure This Will Aid Many As HEVC Is The Future (Even In Broadcast, And Soon These Chips Will Be Old, Budget & Entry Level.. Also I Plan On Using The UHD 630 On Board Graphic Drivers So HDMI On Suggested Motherboards Will Help Also I Saw A Gigabyte With OnBoard HDMI 2.0 But Only 2 Fan Headers, I Will Get A GPU When HEVC Decoding Is More Wide Spread, That Could Be Now, I'm Not Sure As It Seems Only 1080's & 1080Ti's Are Noteworthy These Days...
Assistance Will Be Valued & Much Appreciated..
Thanks.
Hello @TEMSQUARED

(2018-03-30, 00:28)TEMSQUARED Wrote: And I Should Probably Be Using The KODI Forums,
Ummm, you are using the Kodi forums. This is the only Official Kodi forum.

I'll move your post to Hardware, where some of the hardware gurus can help out
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Video 
Thanks, Its A Copy From My Post On TomsHardware With Plenty i3 Vs i5 8th Gen Questions With No Real Answers, I Figured A Little Gaming Could Be On The Cards.. But HEVC is My Main (10) Focus, I Currently Own An Intel Laptop 'HD 3000' i3-2328M, And It Struggles. It May Be Because I Am Also Running A Custom Resolution, Maxing The Bandwidth At 3840 * 2160p 28Hz [29 & 30 Hz Exceeds The Maximum Bandwidth] - The TV Makes It 30Hz, It's Also Only HDMI 1.X [The TV.. & The Laptop, Obviously] So It's The Max Res Too, Though Z370 Motherboards Boast 4094 * 2160p At 24/30Hz on HDMI 1.4 OnBoard Interfaces So The Standard Surely Has A Little More Room For Colour [Gamut] - 4:4:4; 4:2:0; etc - Also It Was Necessary To Use "CVT-RB Timing Standard' Or Else Di-Interlacing Would Have Been Compulsory To Allow The 3480 * 2160 Resolution.. I Spent Some Time 21:9 Resolutions 3440 * 1440, etc Anyway I Wanna Be Ready For Marvel Universe So HEVC Is Necessary
Please type properly. Using a capital letter for every word makes it awfully hard to read.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thumbs Up 
Alright, I will from now on..
Okay Nevermind I'm Just Gonna Get A X96 Mini 16GB Android TV Media Box

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Coffee Lake0