Raspberry Pi 3 - Kodi 17.3 - 1080p videos cause intermittent black screen
Hi all,

I just recently moved into a new house and one of the first things I had to unpack was my TV and raspberry pi w/Kodi to keep my kids entertained while we unpack and to have something to wind down with after a long day. I set everything up and to my surprise began to notice that playing any video with 1080p quality causes the screen to go black and audio to cut out, about every minute or so the video appears for 1-2 seconds, along with sound before cutting out once again. The TVs menu is accessible, and volume control still works, but the TV shows a message saying no input found for the HDMI port. I've tried this with several different movies/shows and all have shown the same behavior. 720p videos play normally.

The only difference in my setup from before I moved is that for right now I don't have Internet access over wifi, so my raspberry has wifi access but no outside Internet. Could that possibly somehow cause this? I'm currently using my phone as a hotspot until I can't get my ISP setup at my house. I'm using the plexkodiconnect addon to allow my plex media to show up within my kodi library. I've tried playing around with its settings a little bit but nothing changed. I've ensured that my GPU memory is allocated at 256MB. I'm attaching debug logs, I glanced through them and didn't see any glaring errors as far as I can tell, but the plex messages seem to be very verbose. Memory/CPU didn't spike either.

Please let me know if any further information is needed to help troubleshoot this issue. Thanks in advance!

My current configuration:
Raspberry Pi 3
Raspbian Linux - kernel 4.9.24-v7+
Screen Resolution: [email protected]
Kodi 17.3 Git:20170525-1789806-dirty

Debug Logs: https://pastebin.com/3niCyGUk
Well....

Outdated Kodi version, used on a debian-based system (where they mostly change things) in combination with using a 3rd party addon and not to forget, that you seem to have a plex server running somewhere:

15:39:47.237 T:1945572000  NOTICE: VideoPlayer: Opening: https://192.168.1.100:32400

Port 32400 is reserved for Plex.

So what device is running the Plex Server? And which device implements that in your LAN? You said, that you use your Smartphone as your Hotspot. Does this smartphone also act as a switch to connect the RPi and the Plex server? Are both devices (the RPi and the Plex server) connected to the smartphone to "see" each other? If so, and if I see all the other messages in the log (Plex Alexa and such) I could imagine, that the smartphone isn't meant as a device for handling all your local network traffic.

Use some router as a local DHCP server (if you don't have your own) or a switch while using static IPs and let this handle the network traffic.
Try a different hdmi cable.
I'm using a router, bot Kodi and the Plex server are connected to it, not the smartphone. I'm using the smartphone as a hotspot for myself, but it's not setup to provide WAN access to the router. No Internet access is available to either device for the moment. 192.168.1.100 is the plex server, on the same subnet as the rpi.

I wasn't aware that using raspbian was discouraged, it's been working fine for me up until I moved, and I was under the impression it was quite common. I like it better than Libreelec since I also run RetroPie and Hyperion alongside Kodi. 

I did find a temporary work around by lowering Kodi's resolution, now 1080p videos will at least play, but there is about a 1.5" black bar across the edge of the kodi interface, including when I play videos. But it's fine for now, my kid's don't care. I just thought it was little weird that configuration wise, nothing changed since I moved, with the exception of outside Internet access. 

Once I get my ISP installed I'll just install a new image for the pi and update Kodi, and I'll also try reaching out to the devs of the addon or looking for help from the Plex team, maybe they do require Internet access. Thanks!
As rascas says, try a different hdmi cable. Some (e.g. the $1 ones from ebay) are very lossy and can cause audio/video dropouts (especially at higher resolutions/framerates).

You can also boost the hdmi signal. Add config_hdmi_boost=7 to config.txt and reboot and try? If that doesn't fix it the setting can go up to 11.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 3 - Kodi 17.3 - 1080p videos cause intermittent black screen0