Android Could V18 Support Dolby Vision Decode?
I hope Kodi V18 support Dolby Vision decoding, as of now, the Alpha version did not.
(2018-03-31, 06:43)ypsilonn Wrote: I hope Kodi V18 support Dolby Vision decoding, as of now, the Alpha version did not.
 No plans. Contributions are welcome. It seems you have the hardware and the content, so the whole community would love it if you could contribute.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Very sorry to hear that. I downloaded some content from P2P sites, but they are ISO or folder style files. My TV can play single-file remux style files but not ISO and folder style. I know Kodi can play ISO and v18 alpha may play folder style files, and of course Kodi already support HDR. Is it copyright issue makes Kodi not support Dolby Vision?
(2018-03-31, 12:38)ypsilonn Wrote: Very sorry to hear that. I downloaded some content from P2P sites, but they are ISO or folder style files. My TV can play single-file remux style files but not ISO and folder style. I know Kodi can play ISO and v18 alpha may play folder style files, and of course Kodi already support HDR. Is it copyright issue makes Kodi not support Dolby Vision?

Sorry for poor English.
 Kodi is able to play 12 bit content. So it might actually work. But there is much more to that .... the chain from content up to the TV. I really wonder how your PC alone would be able to output 12 bits precission and the 10000 nits dolby vision is able to do.

So I say: it's lack of hardware, lack of hw decoding support and after that obviously a problem of passing it through properly.

What happens when you press playback? Don't try on android it might be too slow to sw decode such content anyways.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I use Kodi on my TV. My TV is Sony X93E, which hardware support Dolby Vision. And the GPU Mali-860 may have enough alility to deal with decoding Dolby Vision video. 

I know the monitor of PC is not enough to support DV, but now and after more and more TV will support DV, so Kodi android version's supporting of DV may be more necessary.
I tried to play two LG's Dolby Vision short videos on my TV,  they were recognized correctly and played smoothly.
If the "LG Dolby Vision short video" is something like the "LG Dolby Trailer 4K Demo.ts" that file appears to be DV profile 4, meaning if you decode the base layer it is SDR: BT.1886, ITU-R BT.709, YCbCr 4:2:0 according to MediaInfo so I am not surprised it plays.

I question if there is a lot of value in trying to decode DV in Kodi until HDMI 2.1 is out.  In the current environment, HDMI 2.0a/2.0b can only pass directly the so-called "static" metadata of HDR10 and HLG formats.  HDMI 2.1 would allow passing DV, HDR10+, and SL-HD2 "dynamic" metadata.  As it is, my understanding is that to fit within the HDMI 2.0 format parameters, a DV player combines the base and enhancement HEVC Main10 layers into a 12-bit Y'CbCr 4:2:2 picture, and then through some trickery encodes the metadata into the LSB of each chroma component.  The resulting pictures are then sent over HDMI as RGB (4:4:4) to get around the HDMI format and bandwidth limitations.

Holding off to HDMI 2.1 should also allow for alternative color space ICtCp (constant intensity) representations.  Another benefit is that it seems more aligned with ATSC 3.0 standards.

Corrections to my tech understanding welcome.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2018-03-31, 13:32)ypsilonn Wrote:  
(2018-03-31, 23:06)scott967 Wrote: If the "LG Dolby Vision short video" is something like the "LG Dolby Trailer 4K Demo.ts" that file appears to be DV profile 4, meaning if you decode the base layer it is SDR: BT.1886, ITU-R BT.709, YCbCr 4:2:0 according to MediaInfo so I am not surprised it plays.

I question if there is a lot of value in trying to decode DV in Kodi until HDMI 2.1 is out.  In the current environment, HDMI 2.0a/2.0b can only pass directly the so-called "static" metadata of HDR10 and HLG formats.  HDMI 2.1 would allow passing DV, HDR10+, and SL-HD2 "dynamic" metadata.  As it is, my understanding is that to fit within the HDMI 2.0 format parameters, a DV player combines the base and enhancement HEVC Main10 layers into a 12-bit Y'CbCr 4:2:2 picture, and then through some trickery encodes the metadata into the LSB of each chroma component.  The resulting pictures are then sent over HDMI as RGB (4:4:4) to get around the HDMI format and bandwidth limitations.

Holding off to HDMI 2.1 should also allow for alternative color space ICtCp (constant intensity) representations.  Another benefit is that it seems more aligned with ATSC 3.0 standards.

Corrections to my tech understanding welcome.

scott s.
 Thanks for your answer.

The "two LG's Dolby Vision short videos" I refered to are not the trailer.ts. The trailer when played on my TV didn't display Dolby Vision tag, only HDR tag. The videos I refered to can display Dolby Vision tag and auto configure the parameters.

Here are the two videos:
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1__y1ZmX3SSvtf2H4cCis1A
passcode:6j4i

and here is the Mediainfo:
General
Complete name                      : E:\Dolby Vision\2017_OLED_Dolby Vision_NASA_4K.mp4
Format                                  : MPEG-4
Format profile                        : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                                 : mp42 (mp42/dby1/isom)
File size                                : 510 MiB
Duration                                 : 2 min 23 s
Overall bit rate                         : 29.9 Mb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-04-13 22:51:30
Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-04-13 22:51:30

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main [email protected]@main
Dolby Vision                             : 1.0, dvhe.stn@uhd60, BL+RPU
Codec ID                                 : dvhe
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Duration                                 : 2 min 23 s
Bit rate                                 : 29.3 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.059
Stream size                              : 499 MiB (98%)
Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-04-13 22:51:30
Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-04-13 22:51:30
dvhe.stn is DV profile 5, a single layer streaming format.  The base layer uses the same parameters as HDR10 video, but without processing the DV dynamic metadata I'm not sure how good just rendering the base layer looks.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2018-04-02, 12:26)scott967 Wrote: dvhe.stn is DV profile 5, a single layer streaming format.  The base layer uses the same parameters as HDR10 video, but without processing the DV dynamic metadata I'm not sure how good just rendering the base layer looks.

scott s.
 It looks much better than ordinary HDR10, I think it's brilliant and amazing.

I haven't found any software can decode dvhe except Sony TV's andriod player.  I hope Kodi will do that.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10ytWD1...FpEzIISjaU
Please check this file in dolby vision enable TV or BD players and tell me that DV data trigger or not. It is a m2ts file. one friend reply that it working on apple TV but i want check on multiple devices. Thanks in advance.
(2018-05-17, 20:38)VirenRawal Wrote: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10ytWD1...FpEzIISjaU
Please check this file in dolby vision enable TV or BD players and tell me that DV data trigger or not. It is a m2ts file. one friend reply that it working on apple TV but i want check on multiple devices. Thanks in advance.
 I can confirm this file works in doldy vison on a SONY BRAVIA TV (2018) XE93
(2018-07-21, 22:52)ycla Wrote:  I can confirm this file works in doldy vison on a SONY BRAVIA TV (2018) XE93

Not inside Kodi though. This file plays with wrong colors/luminance. The stock Video player triggers the DV picture mode though. Unlike with HDR10 and HLG, where you just need to pass the video stream on to the HW decoder, DV playback seems to require some special app treatment. The reason for that might be that Sony is not in control of the HW decoder. MediaTek is. And since Sony chose to implement DV independent from the SoC...

BTW, the stock Video app on Sony only works for DV single-layer, not for dual-layer.
Quote:dvhe.stn is DV profile 5, a single layer streaming format.  The base layer uses the same parameters as HDR10 video, but without processing the DV dynamic metadata I'm not sure how good just rendering the base layer looks.

That's just wrong. Only supporting single/base means that the implementation can't handle SDR compatible dual layer as found on Ultra HD Blu-ray. A Sony TV only supporting single layer therefore can't play those rips as HDR (this of course does not apply when using an external UHD BD player in which case the player handles the decoding of dual layer DV). Single layer DV is HDR-only and of course has DV metadata.

The Sony has the following decoder:
txt:
OMX.dolby.vision.dvhe.stn.decoder        video/dolby-vision

Kodi would probably have to send the DV-enabled HEVC stream to this decoder...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Could V18 Support Dolby Vision Decode?0