Poster does not work correct
Hey at all,

I am using Kodi since a long time for my audio collection. Now I want to do the same for my video collection. Therefore I ripped some of my DVDs to ISO and one, two of them I also transformed them to mkv. Every ISO or MKV is in its own folder which have the same names as the incuded video file.
Because I had some problems with scrapping (no poster picture, no description (or wrong language), ...) (Name of folder and file is the title of the dvd, but what is the right title for example for: "Cinderella III - Wahre Liebe siegt"? Must it be in english? Should I use 3 instead of III? Maybe without "subtitle"? Where can I find the correct year? Is it the year of the video itself or the year of the dvd itself?), I decided to use nfo-Files and told Kodi (version 17.6 for windows) it should use the local nfo-files. I generated these files using tinyMediaManager.
It works quite fine but I have some problems with the cover/title picture/poster used for the overview screens in Kodi and so on. In every folder I have a file named poster.jpg which contains the cover (poster file is not mentioned in the nfo file). Sometimes it works, I can see my picture in Kodi (I think it is my picture) (ISO image), sometimes there is no picture at all (ISO image) and sometimes there is totally another picture (MKV file). Why that? Do I have to configure something else in Kodi? Is the naming wrong (I found some hints in Kodi Wiki that poster.jpg is the recommend name for the cover file)?

Thanks alot, Szdnez
You don't need any poster files or anything on your hard drive. You just need correctly named video files and Kodi will scrape the rest from whatever scraper site you set up.

The default is tmdb.org, so look up that site and it will tell you what name and year for the movie. There are a lot of Cinderella movies listed there, but I will assume you mean this one https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/16119-c...st-in-time, I would name it:

moviesfolder/Cinderella III A Twist In Time/Cinderella III A Twist In Time.mkv

I am unsure about how to handle other languages, the beauty of being an English speaker is that I don't usually have to bother with such problems. However I do note that in this case, on tmdb, the "III" is not in the name - see https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/16119-c...uage=de-DE - so I would leave it out if you are naming in German.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hey,

thanks for your help. I will test it this evening. And what would be the best way to organize all the films? For example I have a lot of films for kids  and the rest. I want to have a "view", were I only can see the kids films. Therefore I added a "special" genre in the nfo description so I have the possibility to filter all films with that special genre. If I use online scrapping this way is not possible any more, or is it? What else could I do?

Thanks, Szdnez
Yes, Smart playlists can do this
https://kodi.wiki/view/smart_playlists
Individual Profiles (wiki) will keep Kids stuff in it's own library, or as noted by jools5000 'smart playlists'.

"Is the naming wrong," not quite, Kodi will use images in the folder first on a scrape, if it can't find something suitable or missing something, it grabs from the web. Try moviename-poster.jpg for the cover and moviename-fanart for the background.
Thanks for your help. Posters are working now. As you mentioned they have to be named "moviename-poster.jpg". It is not working if you name the picture files only "poster.jpg", although it is mentioned in Kodi Wiki that "poster.jpg" should work.
To do the filtering I use tags now. "Smart playlists": Do you mean the filter options in the left side menu or is it something else?
(2018-04-12, 21:52)Szdnez12 Wrote: although it is mentioned in Kodi Wiki that "poster.jpg" should work.
Yes, and I can confirm they do work. This is a search for "Posters" in one of my sources. All my posters are named posters.jpg

What is your folder structure?

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hey,

every movie is in its own folder with the same name like the movie file.

Thanks, Szdnez
Ok. A debug log might help. One that scrapes a movie that uses "poster.jpg". It might show something, or it might not.

In you Set Content settings for your Source, have you enabled Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title? https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources#Set_Content
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Poster does not work correct0