XBMC veteran testing Windows version - questions
Hey guys,

As the title implies, I've been using XBMC on XBox for years. I use it in my car and as a dedicated media center in the living room. I'm in the process of building an HTPC, ideally replacing my Xbox as the media center, and I just realized that there's been a lot of advancement on the Windows port. Is there a main page somewhere I'm missing that details where the port is now, what's working, and what's not?

Here are some of the main issues I'm having. So hopefully someone can chime in and give me the status or just point me to some information where I can read up myself. I just started browsing through this section of the forum the other day, but haven't found anything specific to my particular problems.

- Output to all speakers
On my Xbox I'm using an optical audio cable to my receiver, it detects the digital signal and when I enable the "output to all speakers" option it sends stereo over an AC3 stream. So regular MP3 files sound amazing through all the speakers. When I enable this in the Windows version, it does nothing. My receiver doesn't pick up any change in signal. Normally the Xbox will make the receiver switch from "Stereo" to "Dolby Digital". I'm using an ATI HD 3850 video card with DVI->HDMI adapter to my plasma HDTV. The ATI card sends 5.1 audio over the HDMI cable, which works great with DVDs...so it's not my hardware. Within XBMC for Windows, I can switch the audio hardware configuration from Analog to Digital, but I just don't see any difference. I haven't yet tried video files, but I'm not too concerned with that as I mainly use XBMC for music.

- CD/DVD drive access
When I go to add a source under music and I select my PC's CD/DVD drive, it gives me a message saying something like "Please insert disk". I don't recall the exact message, but it basically said there wasn't a disk in the drive. I had already popped in a music CD which Windows Media Player saw fine. Not sure why this isn't working.

- Adding music sources
I added a source pointing to a directory with ~1200 folders, each folder representing a single CD/album. At first it worked fine, started pulling in all the thumbnails. Now when I select that source it just locks up XBMC every time.

- Network functionality
It doesn't appear to be pulling the network information properly, but it seems like it's half working. RSS feeds work, Weather does not, and I can add Music sources using the M: drive on my PC which is mapped to another computer.

Those are the main issues I'm running into right now. TIA for your input.
Oh, and it might be helpful if you knew what build I was on Tongue

When I first did my testing I simply downloaded the latest T3CH build and installed it, and ran the XBMC_PC.bat file. It seemed like all functionality was broke in that, probably dependencies I was missing. Because yesterday I found this thread and used that installer. Now it seems like the program works like it should, aside so far from the issues stated above.
- Adding music sources
I added a source pointing to a directory with ~1200 folders, each folder representing a single CD/album. At first it worked fine, started pulling in all the thumbnails. Now when I select that source it just locks up XBMC every time.

for me xbmc doesnt lock up it closes, using the rev 12882 build.
was working fine with an older build before i formatted my pc.
not too sure what revision it was though.
You still have a Debug Log on the PC version - perhaps that'll give you some hints.

Output to all speakers is handled by the xbox hardware, so it's not something that's been enabled in any of the ports as yet.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC veteran testing Windows version - questions0