Play legal rented movies on Kodi, is it possible ?
Hi,

I often use the JustWatch web site to search on several VOD services, movies i want to watch.

I don't use SVOD service like Netflix, i'm talking about "one-time fee" renting on service like Google Play Movies or Microsoft Movies & TV.

What i would like is the ability to play these rented movies on Kodi : is it possible ?

I heard about PlayOn, but if i'm right, PlayOn authorize to download and play a movie available on SVOD services only.

Thanks
Depending on where you are located, I understand some Library systems offer streaming movies from their collections. Of course Kodi can play directly from a rented disk, and there are streaming add-on's available in our own repository. Most of the rental streaming services are wrapped up in a proprietary rental scheme that includes some DRM facilities that Kodi presently doesn't support.
As @PatK stated, it depends on the service. I have a working mockup for FandangoNow and one other VOD rental service.... "Just Watched" isn't ideal since 99% of those services have no associated Kodi Plugin.

Playon Browser is your best solution at the moment.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2018-04-06, 01:33)PatK Wrote: Depending on where you are located, I understand some Library systems offer streaming movies from their collections. Of course Kodi can play directly from a rented disk, and there are streaming add-on's available in our own repository. Most of the rental streaming services are wrapped up in a proprietary rental scheme that includes some DRM facilities that Kodi presently doesn't support.
 I'm from France. I'm talking of "streaming" rented movies, not "disk" (in the past i used rented disk).

"Most of the rental streaming servies" : all ? Wink

Quote:I have a working mockup for FandangoNow and one other VOD rental service....
Do you mean you work on it or you use it ? I visited the site but i have the message : "Sorry, FandangoNOW is not currently available in your region"
Quote: "Just Watched" isn't ideal since 99% of those services have no associated Kodi Plugin.
Sad
Quote:Playon Browser is your best solution at the moment.
Does it work with one-time rented movies or just with SVOD services ? If i'm right,  need to pay a suscription on Playon ?

In others therms, this is what i would like :

1-I rent a movie on a vod service at about 5 €.
2-I launch Kodi and a dedicated addon where i can play my movie rented (one tie only of course Wink )

If i need a subscription to a another service (like Playon), i don't want to pay too much for it; about 2 € max/month.

What it will be great : rent a movie straight from Kodi Wink

Thanks
Contact your VOD provider and ask them to support Kodi. We cannot (in general) cope with all the hoops they put you through without their help.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi,

Since Kodi 18 support DRM, is it possible now to rent a movie and play it in Kodi ?
I heard about Netflix and AMazon unofficial addons, but they are SVOD...

Thanks
(2019-03-12, 11:00)nonob Wrote: is it possible now to rent a movie and play it in Kodi ?
Just for my understanding, what's the difference between renting a movie online, and a SVOD?
Hi,
Quote:I don't use SVOD service like Netflix, i'm talking about "one-time fee" renting on service like Google Play Movies or Microsoft Movies & TV.
I would like to have the ability to buy or rent a movie or show only "when i want", without a "suscription" (the "S" in "S"VOD).

It is actually possible with services like Google Play Movies or Microsoft Movies & TV but i have to play content in their web player or apps. I would like to use Kodi to play these contents...
(2019-03-12, 11:00)nonob Wrote: Hi,

Since Kodi 18 support DRM, is it possible now to rent a movie and play it in Kodi ?
I heard about Netflix and AMazon unofficial addons, but they are SVOD...

Thanks
My understanding that it is technically possible now if the vendor supports the specific DRM schema Kodi does, but the vendor of the service would either need to write the addon themselves or have a publicly available API so someone else could do it.
Thanks for your reply.

I compared avalability of contents i want to watch recently on services which provide vod to rent or buy (not svod...) from my country (france) :

Movies : Apple Itune, Canal VOD, MyTF1vod, Orange VOD, Google Play, Playstation, YouTube.
TV Shows : Apple Itune, Orange VOD, Canal VOD, Google Play, Microsoft Store.

I discover that YouTube seems to have a good movie catalog that i can buy or rent. I use every day the YouTube Addon connected to my Google account on Kodi. Maybe it has or could have the ability to play rented or bought movie; it could be great Smile

For the rest; if someone know solutions for services listed above, let me know Smile
Hi,

I made some research and read about "Vudu" and "Movieanywhere" but it doesn't seem i can play content in Kodi...

But i found something interresting in the YouTube Addon topic :
Quote:I've updated post #2 with beta7
[chg] remove dash_support_addon and dash_support_builtin

[chg] only automatically remove temp folder at start-up

[fix] playback title encoding (introduced in v6 test versions)

[add] Purchases
don't buy/rent with the expectations that it will work

support is incomplete, wip

requires inputstream.adaptive >= 2.0.28

YouTube includes resolutions that are not available, currently to work around this;
set InputStream Adaptive -> Settings -> Stream selection -> manual

change video stream during playback to preferred working resolution

Android plays only first 5 minutes

huge thanks to peak3d
Hi,

I can confirm that YouTube addon can play purchased (and i hope rented) movies Smile . This function is recent and in beta state.

But i'm disappointed because it seems that i can only buy or rent "VF" (french version) movies and not VOST versions Sad

YouTube seems to be the best (only ?) solution actually to watch bought/rented movies in Kodi. It doesn't seem to exist solution for rented or bought TV Shows (SVOD is the only solution actually i think : Netflix or Amazon).

I'll be happy if you can share any news about that..

Bye
Hi nonob,

How did you manage to play a purchased movie on YouTube addon? I installed the InputStream Adaptive addon but it did not change the default configuration. When I try to play a purchased movie from the addon it looks like it is starting to play the movie (working message is displayed and background changes) but the YouTube addon doesn't play it. My Kodi log is the following:
Code:
2019-07-28 19:59:38.601 T:1486877552  NOTICE: [plugin.video.youtube] Running: YouTube (6.5.0) on Leia (Kodi-18.2) with Python 2.7.15
                                                Path: /channel/mine/playlist/ WL/
                                                Params: {}
2019-07-28 19:59:40.942 T:1486877552  NOTICE: [plugin.video.youtube] Running: YouTube (6.5.0) on Leia (Kodi-18.2) with Python 2.7.15
                                                Path: /play/
                                                Params: {'video_id': 'WEw3j7jWtm0'}
2019-07-28 19:59:44.193 T:1937545616  NOTICE: VideoPlayer::OpenFile: plugin://plugin.video.youtube/play/?video_id=WEw3j7jWtm0
2019-07-28 19:59:44.197 T:1470092144  NOTICE: Creating InputStream
2019-07-28 19:59:44.239 T:1470092144   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting /usr/lib/kodi/addons/inputstream.adaptive/
2019-07-28 19:59:44.642 T:1470092144   ERROR: AddOnLog: InputStream Adaptive: Unable to load widevine shared library (/storage/.kodi/cdm/libwidevinecdm.so)
2019-07-28 19:59:44.642 T:1470092144   ERROR: AddOnLog: InputStream Adaptive: OpenDRMSystem failed
2019-07-28 19:59:44.644 T:1470092144   ERROR: CVideoPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [plugin://plugin.video.youtube/play/?video_id=WEw3j7jWtm0]
2019-07-28 19:59:44.645 T:1470092144  NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::OnExit()
2019-07-28 19:59:45.036 T:1937545616  NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::CloseFile()
2019-07-28 19:59:45.037 T:1937545616  NOTICE: VideoPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
2019-07-28 19:59:45.037 T:1937545616  NOTICE: VideoPlayer: finished waiting
2019-07-28 20:02:19.038 T:1686537072  NOTICE: ES: Client  from ::ffff:192.168.1.75 timed out

Can you help me?
Hi,

Maybe you can check your add-ons versions : i'm on Windows with Kodi 18.3 and i have Inputstream adaptive add-on version 2.3.22 and Youtube add-on version 6.5.1.

Then you have to enable "MPEG-DASH" in YouTube add-on settings.

Bye
Hi,

Thank you for your answer. Finally, I was able to fix the error by downloading the appropriate version of widevine shared library file from the following url: https://www.matthuisman.nz/2018/05/kodi-...pport.html.

Bye

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play legal rented movies on Kodi, is it possible ?0