Solved Minix z83-4 opinions?
Hi,

I would like to switch my TV server to a more streamlined system, and use an external NAS for recording/storage. I am quite tied to MediaPortal as a backend, but would consider TvHeadend - I like to have options, so a Windows 10 system is essential.

I am considering a Minix z83-4 (4GB RAM) but there don't seem to be many people on here using it, which worries me a bit.

It will be running the Kodi frontend.

Opinions? Alternatives?

Best wishes,

Mark
Its packing a Intel Atom X5-Z8300 with Cherry Trail Graphics can only Hardware decode 8bit HEVC - which these days might be a bit dated if you come across any 10bit HEVC video content.

More info in these threads:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2680183

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2525901

You should however get great quality TV deinterlacing out of Intel microarchitecture.

I'm not sure what device is going to be your backend TvH server tho as it's unclear ?

Personally I would use the TvHeadend viewing client on a MINIX U9 running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton = smooth and fast and will play anything you throw at it with great hardware deinterlacing as well. Wink

(2018-04-06, 12:41)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm not sure what device is going to be your backend TvH server tho as it's unclear ?

This WILL be the backend server, running MediaPortal on Windows 10. I currently have a Gigabyte E350 system serving the same purpose, and it works fine, but it's bulky and noisy. This would be a quicker system, but would need to either have an external hard drive for recordings or save to my NAS - preferably saving to the NAS.

I don't tend to worry about 10 bit HEVC, so it should be enough for now.

Thanks for your comments.

Mark
Okay, I'll answer my own question. I bought a 4GB z83 Minix box (z8300 processor, not the faster z8350).

I had previously been using a Gigabyte E350 based mini ITX system as TV server running the MediaPortal TV server on Windows 10 Pro. In Geekbench tests, the Minix system is 2-3x as fast.

I've plugged in one dual and one single TV tuner, and I still have a free USB 3.0 port. It is timeshifting and recording to my NAS, and all my media is played from the NAS. There seems to be plenty of bandwidth for this.

It isn't getting too hot, and is basically great. Kodi runs absolutely fine!
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix z83-4 opinions?0