• 7(current)
Solved v18 - [Windows] Hardware accelerated playback is choppy unless an overlay is present
edited after i realised I never switched off Software decoding on the Nvidia system!

Well for me, the problem is solved on Intel GPU (NUC) but not on the 1080Ti system. I just tried DXVA2 with hw acceleration on that machine and it's still unwatchable.

It was only the NUCs I cared about when I started this thread as their poor little CPUs need all the help they can get but my 1080ti is paired with an 8700k so CPU decoding isn't exactly taxing. Might be worth starting a new thread for Nvidia specifically, assuming that's what you have.
Unfortunatly I'm using a GeForce 1050Ti and the issue is still present and I think I'm not the only one...

I'm wondering that KODI is in RC state which such a bug which still isn't tracked in GIT yet.

Can some KODI developer tell me if there is a change to fix this in one of the next releases?
As a possible workaround for users with NVidia-graphics card, Manage 3D-settings of NVidia-control panel has couple of options for Vertical Sync, the interesting setting here is the Fast-option. I happen to have also 1050Ti in my HTPC and with this Fast-setting I can prevent this annoying stuttering in Kodi 18, 17.x works nowadays without but had similar issue during beta phase . Some clarification about this particular option:

"FAST-SYNC - De-coupled rendering and monitor refresh. VSYNC OFF but the monitor will only render completely rendered frames, thus eliminating tearing (MINOR input lag but NO TEARING! ) also it is monitor agnostic so it will work with any screen. It is analogous to hardware triple buffering but does not back-pressure the render pipeline."

Not a final solution but as said, a working workaround at least in my case for time being, until devs (hopefully) can tackle this in a proper way. I recommend to make this setting a application specific for Kodi only, as a global setting this could mess up other apps.
(2018-12-28, 13:02)goodton Wrote: As a possible workaround for users with NVidia-graphics card, Manage 3D-settings of NVidia-control panel has couple of options for Vertical Sync, the interesting setting here is the Fast-option. I happen to have also 1050Ti in my HTPC and with this Fast-setting I can prevent this annoying stuttering in Kodi 18, 17.x works nowadays without but had similar issue during beta phase . Some clarification about this particular option:

"FAST-SYNC - De-coupled rendering and monitor refresh. VSYNC OFF but the monitor will only render completely rendered frames, thus eliminating tearing (MINOR input lag but NO TEARING! ) also it is monitor agnostic so it will work with any screen. It is analogous to hardware triple buffering but does not back-pressure the render pipeline."

Not a final solution but as said, a working workaround at least in my case for time being, until devs (hopefully) can tackle this in a proper way. I recommend to make this setting a application specific for Kodi only, as a global setting this could mess up other apps.
thx a lot for the info.
Trying this setting now on my two htpcs with 1030TI.

pOpY
Finally fixed in current nightly, see my working settings: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2810581
(2019-01-19, 17:00)popy Wrote: Finally fixed in current nightly, see my working settings: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2810581
 Did you try the test build here?  While the nightly contains a kind of fix, it doesn't address the root cause properly and according to afedchin, the 'proper' fix exists only in this test build currently.  It certainly works wonders on both my Win10 systems, one Nvidia and one Intel NUC.
no not tried yet because i want to stay on the master/nightly branch when final comes around the corner.
I am happy with the "workaround" in current master and also using "Fullscreen windowed" which seems to have an impact.
Running perfectly on my two wwindows HTPCs with nvidia 1030.

pOpY
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
v18 - [Windows] Hardware accelerated playback is choppy unless an overlay is present0