Automatically show plugged in usb devices?
I have a little problem with kodi Wink

Kodi is such a great media player, but I have a feeling that kodi is mainly interested in libraries with scraped movies. if I just want to watch a movie from an external storage (usb stick or hdd) and plug it in nothing happens as if the device is not there. I first have to go to videos-files and have to open it.

Would it be possible to get some kind of message like "usb device detected" --> open? Or maybe a new entry on the home screen where you can open your usb device?
Am I the only one with this "problem"? Wink
Which OS and Kodi version are you using?

Most of the usb stuff will be normally handled by the underlying operating system, but some (eg LibreElec on the Pi) already do pop up a notification message if you got plug in a usb device whilst it's running.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I use a shield TV with AndroidTV. If I plug in an usb stick the system asks if i want to expand the internal storage. Nothing more.
Looks like the problem is with the version of android OS and the interaction with the installed Kodi app.
My Android devices (tablet and phone) typically only show a prompt when using a file-handling app when such a device gets inserted.
Perhaps a question for the Android sub-forum?
Derek
@admin

Maybe you could move this thread to the android sub forum?
Moved to Android
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Seems nobody is interested in this.

Is there any other media player for android tv which can open an usb device simple and fast?
No, because you are dealing with folder structure not a library.  What ever you use you are always going to have to select the drive and then dive into the folders to get to what you want.

Android is not like a PC, it doesn't have default actions for when you plug in a drive.  And I'm not aware of any app that, when you plug in a drive, will ask what you want to do with it.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatically show plugged in usb devices?0