Solved Jerky Moments during Camera Panning
Notice that Kodi on Xbox is still not as smooth of the days of ARM Amlogic and Jarvis.  Kodi 18 Alpha (any version - now on Alpha 2) for Xbox One does have these "jerky/choppy" moments when a TV show or movie starts panning a scene, or when there's a sudden motion (i.e. someone's face moves quickly through the screen).  Not sure if this is because the hardware is not optimized or if it's the "videoplayer" used in Kodi, or if it will get improved.  If anyone knows why, it would be good to know.

I am talking purely about a video file played on a validated network of at least 800Mbps, from a Linux NFS server that at least has 240Mbps validated performance.  Same files play smooth on a hardware accelerated Jarvis version of Kodi on a ARM box across the same network.

I have tried playing with HQ scalers, as some historical Kodi posts mentioned - put that at 100% and even to 0%, no difference.  I have tried hardcoding DVXA as the renderer.  No difference.  I have tried to turn deinterlacing off - no difference.  I have tried to play with Display Sync (all the various options - and no difference).  Post processing is unwatchable - so nothing there.  Turning off hardware acceleration (DVXA) is also unwatchable.  Typical video files are 480p to 720p, H264... 

Does anyone have any ideas ?  Is it related to videoplayer or something else?

This is on the Xbox One, not S or X.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Are you talking about 24p content specifically? Is Kodi set to adjust the display's refresh rate, and is your display actually changing to the desired rate? (the latter might not be evident in the logs, so it's worth checking if you can). 24p, 50i, 60i, etc is all working properly for me.

If your TV is playing it as if it's 60 fps content and it isn't, there will be moments that look particularly bad.
(2018-04-08, 22:03)Klojum Wrote: Advanced Method

OK thanks.. will post soon
(2018-04-08, 23:15)elgarlic Wrote: Are you talking about 24p content specifically? Is Kodi set to adjust the display's refresh rate, and is your display actually changing to the desired rate? (the latter might not be evident in the logs, so it's worth checking if you can). 24p, 50i, 60i, etc is all working properly for me.

If your TV is playing it as if it's 60 fps content and it isn't, there will be moments that look particularly bad.
 It's 24p content.  I tried the adjust display and the sync display, neither have any affect.  Log files are not showing anything obvious when I went through them.  There's something in there about a colour profile not being accelerated but that was about it.  Just to again be clear, there's no issue playing the content and you can watch it... just that the motions have this jerkiness to them, that is very annoying.

One thing I should quickly mention, if I press the left key and go back about 5 seconds and watch where there was jerkiness, it's better.  That led me to believe it was some sort of caching issue, which I tried a those tweaks from a long time ago, but no difference.

I also disabled Auto-motion 120Hz on the LCD TV.  No difference.

Now - in the Kodi Video Settings, the Display is Greyed out at 1920x1080 and the refresh is greyed out at 59.94.  So that's what the TV is running at... the question is, should that make a difference?  Never had the issue with other Kodi platforms...  any tweaks in this area to try?
** SOLVED **

Thanks so much for giving me a hint.

In my Xbox settings I had 24Hz disabled.  Once I clicked allow Apps to run 24Hz and then ran Kodi and switched the display (that was greyed out) to 24p, the playback is smooth.

Appreciate the help!
Thread marked solved.
(2018-04-09, 03:29)Kataliyst Wrote: ** SOLVED **

Thanks so much for giving me a hint.

In my Xbox settings I had 24Hz disabled.  Once I clicked allow Apps to run 24Hz and then ran Kodi and switched the display (that was greyed out) to 24p, the playback is smooth.

Appreciate the help!
I'm glad you got it working. Just as a bit of a followup, the setting you found in the Kodi settings will, I believe, set the entire user interface to 24p. It's not necessary if you have refresh rate switching on. And if you don't have that on, you probably won't want to manually adjust the refresh rate when you want to watch 30p or 60i content.

In the recent builds, enabling "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" will work. You can leave the main kodi setting at 60/59.94 or whatever it is, and your display will switch to the correct rate when you select your media. Good call on the Xbox console settings, though. All the modes need to be enabled there as well!
(2018-04-09, 16:51)elgarlic Wrote: I'm glad you got it working. Just as a bit of a followup, the setting you found in the Kodi settings will, I believe, set the entire user interface to 24p. It's not necessary if you have refresh rate switching on. And if you don't have that on, you probably won't want to manually adjust the refresh rate when you want to watch 30p or 60i content.

In the recent builds, enabling "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" will work. You can leave the main kodi setting at 60/59.94 or whatever it is, and your display will switch to the correct rate when you select your media. Good call on the Xbox console settings, though. All the modes need to be enabled there as well!

I'm sure that he meant a setting in the XBOX settings. The XBox has few settings which enable some special refresh rates including 24p. if some of them are disabled then Kodi will be not able to switch refresh rate to desired.
(2018-04-10, 15:27)afedchin Wrote:
(2018-04-09, 16:51)elgarlic Wrote: I'm glad you got it working. Just as a bit of a followup, the setting you found in the Kodi settings will, I believe, set the entire user interface to 24p. It's not necessary if you have refresh rate switching on. And if you don't have that on, you probably won't want to manually adjust the refresh rate when you want to watch 30p or 60i content.

I'm sure that he meant a setting in the XBOX settings. The XBox has few settings which enable some special refresh rates including 24p. if some of them are disabled then Kodi will be not able to switch refresh rate to desired.

Yes. He seems to be saying both. Enabled 24hz in Xbox settings and then switched to 24p in kodi settings. I was just clarifying that, if so, only the first is needed if auto switching is set up in kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jerky Moments during Camera Panning0