Linux Network shares as sources
I have a few network sources, such as a NAS and a USB off of my router, that I often use for media storage. I am using Ubuntu Linux. I access these drives often from my file manager and media players without any issues. But while in tMM, I am unable to do so with easy or reliability. While adding a source, I can browse local files easy enough and add without any issues. But I am unable to browse network drives and unable to see hidden files/folders (in Linux this means starting with a period) where I might be able to pull in from system.

Is there an easy and/or recommended way to do this? I am aware that I can make a CIFS mapping, but would prefer to avoid doing so as they are less reliable and there is no other need to do so.
I am using Linux for ages too and I discovered, that

a) using dynamic mounting of network shares (via file manager - nautilus/nemo) is being done by gvfs and is super slow/unstable
b) create mounts in /etc/fstab for my network shares bring the same comfort as dynamic mounting, but is extremely fast and stable

I have the following entries in my /etc/fstab for example:

Code:
//NAS/movies /media/movies cifs username=manuel,password=secret,_netdev,users,noauto 0 0
//NAS/tvshows /media/tvshows cifs username=manuel,password=secret,_netdev,users,noauto 0 0

with this entries the mount won't be auto mounted on startup, but any user is able to mount it from within nautilus/nemo. The only problem which I couldn't solve yet is, that forgetting to unmount it prior to suspend it makes some troubles Wink
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
Thanks for the reply and example of your mapping usage.
Quote:a) using dynamic mounting of network shares (via file manager - nautilus/nemo) is being done by gvfs and is super slow/unstable
Yes, done via gvfs, as you state. Unfortunately, I have also used the method you list here, via fstab, and find it unreliable as well, while also causing me more issues. Prior to this install, I used tMM with the CIFS mapping in fstab and had many issues, especially real slow scans and sometimes lockups. I do not experience the stability and speed you mention. In fact, both now and prior, I get the best performance whilst copying files using FTP. But FTP can only be used for few things and this is not one of them. Thus I really prefer to not use CIFS mapping if possible on this go around.

This is the line I use(d) in fstab:
Quote:/NAS/Movie/Movies/ /media/movie cifs credentials=/home/USER/.credential,iocharset=uft8,gid=1000,uid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
I can give your code a try and see if my results differ, but we are quite similar.
with gvfs I had occasional hangs and the network performance was between 30% and 60% of the mount via fstab (which uses cifs directly without gvfs)..

I use arch linux if that makes any difference - but I used ubuntu a few years ago where I discovered these problems
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
I decided to try again using CIFS. This is the code I am using, for reference:
 //NAS/Movie/Movies/ /media/movie cifs credentials=/home/USER/.mybookcredential,vers=1.0 0 0

Using Ubuntu 18.04, if I did not mention that prior. It sounds like this is the only way I can reasonably do it, so that has answered my question, as to what is the recommendation. But I do agree with what you have said. It is just a preference that I do not like having mapped drives/shares.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network shares as sources0