Questions about multi channel AAC
(2018-04-16, 20:26)wesk05 Wrote: The MiBox doesn't support mulichannel LPCM output. You will have to transcode AAC 5.1 to Dolby Digital 5.1.
Wrong.
I had multichannel PCM from MiBox. 5.1, 7.1. It worked. But it was enough to upgrade Kodi and it messed up some settings and multichannel PCM is gone.. :/
(2019-02-24, 02:47)Arand Wrote:
(2018-04-16, 20:26)wesk05 Wrote: The MiBox doesn't support mulichannel LPCM output. You will have to transcode AAC 5.1 to Dolby Digital 5.1.
Wrong.
I had multichannel PCM from MiBox. 5.1, 7.1. It worked. But it was enough to upgrade Kodi and it messed up some settings and multichannel PCM is gone.. :/

Check the date of the post. The firmware at that time didn't support multichannel LPCM output. It was introduced in the the Oreo firmware.
(2019-02-24, 18:44)wesk05 Wrote:
(2019-02-24, 02:47)Arand Wrote:
Wrong.

Check the date of the post. The firmware at that time didn't support multichannel LPCM output. It was introduced in the the Oreo firmware. 
 sorry, my bad Sad
however  multichannel is not working again, so back to original Smile
(2018-04-10, 06:26)nickr Wrote: Don't try and pass it through, there is no AMP that anyone has ever found that deals with AAC audio directly.

If it is being converted to DD it is because that is how you have Kodi set up.

Best you just have it converted to multichannel PCM.

Actually all Japanese domestic model AV Receivers support AAC surround formats. I live in Japan and used to own a 12 year old Onkyo receiver that worked just fine with the AAC surround soundtracks that cable and digital TV here in Japan use. I recently bought a US domestic model Marantz amp and it cannot decode these same AAC tracks. Interestingly(or rather disappointingly) the user manuals of the Marantz receivers sold here in Japan state that AAC surround is supported but this isn’t the case looking through the US models.
(2019-04-06, 19:16)FijiDee Wrote:
(2018-04-10, 06:26)nickr Wrote: Don't try and pass it through, there is no AMP that anyone has ever found that deals with AAC audio directly.

If it is being converted to DD it is because that is how you have Kodi set up.

Best you just have it converted to multichannel PCM.

Actually all Japanese domestic model AV Receivers support AAC surround formats. I live in Japan and used to own a 12 year old Onkyo receiver that worked just fine with the AAC surround soundtracks that cable and digital TV here in Japan use. I recently bought a US domestic model Marantz amp and it cannot decode these same AAC tracks. Interestingly(or rather disappointingly) the user manuals of the Marantz receivers sold here in Japan state that AAC surround is supported but this isn’t the case looking through the US models.  

Yes - there were always rumblings that somewhere in the world, bitstreamed AAC-over-HDMI was more widespread (as it is included in the HDMI standard).

In the UK our DVB-T2 terrestrial TV system also uses 2.0/5.1 AAC (not AC3/Dolby Digital) for audio, but when configured for surround output this is always output either as PCM 5.1 or transcoded to Dolby Digital 5.1 (either by TVs or set-top boxes), rather than output as 5.1 AAC-over-HDMI - as support for that is relatively unknown in Europe AIUI.
Sounds like a snipe hunt Smile
(2018-04-10, 06:26)nickr Wrote: Best you just have it converted to multichannel PCM.
How can this be done? [/quote]Turn passthrough and conversion to DD off, set speakers at 7.1
[/quote]

same problem here (or at least similar)
audio source is aac 5 1 6 channel.
avr is a marantz 7.1
intel kaby lake based htpc.

passthrough is enabled for everything the avr understands

avr reports unknown signal and plays the front channels center and surround are ignored so no dialogues.

turning off pass through doesn't change anything.

it helps to set the speaker setup to stereo to get the center signal on the fronts. avr reports pcm then.

I don't see an option to select dd or pcm
Dolby Digital / AC3 transcode options only appear when you configure the main audio output for 2.0 (i.e. tell Kodi you only have PCM 2.0 output - which means legacy SPDIF formats like DD and DTS are the only solutions for 5.1 output)

If you configure Kodi for 5.1/7.1 then that means Kodi believes you have PCM 5.1/7.1 support, so there is no reason to offer DD/AC3 transcode, and Kodi doesn't offer this.

However your Marantz AVR is 7.1 - which suggests it should support 5.1/7.1 PCM output.  What is your Kodi platform?
(2019-04-12, 11:13)noggin Wrote: Dolby Digital / AC3 transcode options only appear when you configure the main audio output for 2.0 (i.e. tell Kodi you only have PCM 2.0 output - which means legacy SPDIF formats like DD and DTS are the only solutions for 5.1 output)

If you configure Kodi for 5.1/7.1 then that means Kodi believes you have PCM 5.1/7.1 support, so there is no reason to offer DD/AC3 transcode, and Kodi doesn't offer this.

However your Marantz AVR is 7.1 - which suggests it should support 5.1/7.1 PCM output.  What is your Kodi platform?

I think it does support multichannel PCM. however, kodi sends out multichannel AAC and this does not work save for the 2 front channels.

hardware is a cubi siltent 3s with an intel i5 (kaby lake) cpu. the AVR is connected via a hdmi cable.

how can I get kodi to transcode AAC7.1 to anything the AVR understands?
I don't care if it's PCM7.1, some 8channel DTS or Dolby format or even downmix to DD5.1 oder classic DTS
I think this has been fixed somewhere on the way to version 18.6 git:20200411
my 2 test cases with multi channel AAC audio are sent to the AVR as multi channel PCM via hdmi.
output is configured to 7.1 like the setup on the AVR actually is.
everything is fine..

except for the audio quality of AAC. one test case has AAC7.1 and some 8 channel DTS stuff. the audible artefacts in AAC are a pain in the ears. and I hope people will stop using this.
(yes, this isn't something kodi can fix ;-) )
Perhaps it is, if we constantly underrun :-) (or inject zeroes, we cannot™ underrun) -> Debug Log will tell.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-05-28, 18:45)fritsch Wrote: Perhaps it is, if we constantly underrun :-) (or inject zeroes, we cannot™ underrun) -> Debug Log will tell.

no worries. it's just that one test case with a DTS-X and an AAC7.1 audio track so switching and comparing is easy and directly compared this one AAC example does not sound as  good as this one DTS track. so there is no actual problem to be fixed. just my personal disliking of using multichannel AAC instead of these fancy DTS and Dolby object based standards. I just like the idea of transporting the information of which sound is where compared to the listener instead of transporting a fixed number of channels that is able to recreate the sound stage if all the speakers are in a perfect position. I will have to deal with it.
Isnt AAC an apple thing?
(2020-06-03, 00:39)ozkhan1 Wrote: Isnt AAC an apple thing?

It's a standard audio codec used on digital TV in the UK and other countries.  Our HD DVB-T2 (Freeview HD) broadcasts use it here for both 5.1 and 2.0 audio, rather than MP2 or AC3/E-AC3.
(2020-06-03, 00:39)ozkhan1 Wrote: Isnt AAC an apple thing?

Apple was just a user and had nothing to do with the development:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding
they just thought it was cool to transcode MP3 to AAC or something like that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions about multi channel AAC0