PVR on Kodi/RPi3?
I am currently running Kodi 17.6 (OSMC) on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Passport 1.5 TB HD for local media storage.  I have a Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD tuner (Model 955D) that I have used to watch live TV & record on my Dell laptop when I travel.

I want to use the Hauppage to add Live TV/PVR capability to Kodi.  I want the backend on the RPi as well.  I am a vet with a family living on a VA disability, so I don't really have extra money to buy any additional hardware.

I have only found a couple of "tutorials" for this on google and I can't get any of them to work.  Lots of command line line stuff thru putty and it seems that some of the commands no longer work the way they are written in the tutorials.

Can someone point me at a CURRENT and fairly straightforward "how-to" for a Hauppauge PVR setup in KodiHuh
Kodi itself do not have a pvr, but tvheadend is availible on OSMC.
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/anyone-using...mc/23092/7

I would sugest you head on over to their community and I'm sure you will find and get all the help you need over there Smile
https://discourse.osmc.tv/
You can install TVHeadend by going to My OSMC -> App Store.
You can then log in to the interface at http://IP-OF-KODI:9981 using osmc as both username and password.
Same is also available on LibreElec from their repo and works fine (although mine is fed by my Hdhomerun).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Imagine you will stick with osmc as your OS as its already installed on yor rpi3 but be aware an alternative is LibreELEC which you could install on rpi3 and then use one of available PVR,s from LibreELEC repository. i.e. TVHeadened

Here is their pvs subforum https://forum.libreelec.tv/board/15-pvr-dvb-support/

As mentioned in other posts once the "Tvheadend pvr service" backend and for example "Tvheadend HTSP Client" frontend are loaded and enabled in LibreELEC, you then open a webpage from a pc on network to setup your Tuner/Channels from webpage.
(Assuming your particular dual tuner card is actually supported on rpi3 by selected OS and one or both its tuners recognised correctly by tvheadend etc??)

Did a quick search on internet for a potential recent example tutorial that may help (you can select particular section of interest to improve understanding before perfoming your own setup) http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/disp...-tvheadend
Note in header of page howto it mentions use of HDHomeRun but actually howto appears to use Tvheadend as the pvr frontend.  (I would concentrate your understanding review on sections H & K and dont worry about setting username and password in tvheadend)

---edit for additional thoughts/comments--- Note assuming your card is supported with rpi3 and latest versions of osmc and/or Libreelec OS (May need crazycat or similar drivers included to provide required support?) then you may/will also require a powered USB Hub (connecting your usb tuner to powered hub, connected to rpi3) in order to provide sufficienty power to the Tuner.
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver
(2018-04-12, 18:10)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: You can install TVHeadend by going to My OSMC -> App Store.
You can then log in to the interface at http://IP-OF-KODI:9981 using osmc as both username and password.
Sam, thanks for the heads-up.  Smile

HOWEVER...

When I go to My OSMC -> App Store -> TVHeadend Server -> Install -> Apply

I get a pop-up window labelled "OSMC Error"  With the message: "Error installing: armv7-tvheadend-app-osmc (4.2.4-3)  Please report this on the OSMC forum."

I'm going over to the OSMC forum now to report it.  Sad
(2018-04-12, 19:16)DarrenHill Wrote: Same is also available on LibreElec from their repo and works fine (although mine is fed by my Hdhomerun).
 Darren,

I actually tried loading up a LibreElec installation on another SD card.  It would install to 93% on the SD card and then just crap out.  Sad

I don't know if it's a problem with the image, the installer, the SD card, or that I'm just a technically-challenged idiot.  But I strongly suspect that it's the 4th possibility...  Tongue
If you're using the “LibreELEC USB-SD Creator” app available from their downloads page and that's failing I'd suspect a dodgy or damaged SD card?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I think it was a bad SD card (So, I'm NOT a technically-challenged idiot? Wink ).  I did a fresh install of OSMC on my RPi's current SD card and everything went fine.  I'm sticking with OSMC for now (Thanks Sam!), provided that I can figure out how to install the drivers for my Hauppauge tuner stick...
(2018-04-13, 20:56)Dennis_D Wrote: I think it was a bad SD card (So, I'm NOT a technically-challenged idiot? Wink ).  I did a fresh install of OSMC on my RPi's current SD card and everything went fine.  I'm sticking with OSMC for now (Thanks Sam!), provided that I can figure out how to install the drivers for my Hauppauge tuner stick...
 Hi,

As far as I know, the current Linux drivers only allow one tuner to work for this particular card. Drivers for dual tuner capability are coming, but not yet mainstream.

Regards,

Mark
(2018-04-14, 11:26)mcelliott Wrote:
(2018-04-13, 20:56)Dennis_D Wrote: I think it was a bad SD card (So, I'm NOT a technically-challenged idiot? Wink ).  I did a fresh install of OSMC on my RPi's current SD card and everything went fine.  I'm sticking with OSMC for now (Thanks Sam!), provided that I can figure out how to install the drivers for my Hauppauge tuner stick...
 Hi,

As far as I know, the current Linux drivers only allow one tuner to work for this particular card. Drivers for dual tuner capability are coming, but not yet mainstream.

Regards,

Mark 
Mark,

According to the Hauppauge support page, their tuners are supported in Linux.

http://hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_linux.html

I just can't figure out how to get it into Kodi.
@Dennis_D Ref your question about howto ensure you have right drivers installed for your Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD tuner (Model 955D) on version of LibreELEC you have installed on SD card for your rpi3.

You could/should ask your question to CvH in this LibreELEC thread Its an old thread from 2016, but 1st post in thread may hold some clues to your query with questions and supportive answers to users of which "[font][font]additional dvb drivers" to use[/font][/font] in thread which is still going strong today.

I also understand from other posters that there have been issues with rpi's having sufficient data transfer abilties to run operate both Tuners in tandem reliably.
(I only use rpi3 with a cheap single usb tuner which has been very reliable, I have no personal experience with dual tuner...been keeping an eye topic as considering to purchase a dual tuner card to partner with rpi3 B+)
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver
MikeKL,

I'm not running Kodi on LibreElec, I'm on OSMC.  I said that I tried installing LibreElec but that I found it more confusing, so I did a clean re-install of OSMC.  That got rid of a lot of garbage commands that I input trying to follow an old tutorial as well as some orphan files from 3rd party addons I had deleted a while back.  That seemed to get the TVHeadend Server working.  The tuners's drivers aren't setting up though.

I have found some info on the Hauppauge support page that claims their tuners are all supported in Linux.  I'm not techy enough to unravel all the details.  But to me it sounds like I should be able to load the drivers thru a PPA(?) that Hauppauge has developed.

It does look like I would have to set up each tuner independently in TVHeadend.  So couldn't I simply deactivate one of the tuners if there's too much demand on the RPi's data transfer capabilities?
What does dmesg say when you plug in the usb tuner?

what does ls /dev/dvb* show?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2018-04-15, 01:36)nickr Wrote: What does dmesg say when you plug in the usb tuner?

what does ls /dev/dvb* show?
usb 1-1.4: new high-speed device USB device number 7 using dwc_otg
usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=826d
usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
usb 1-1.4: Product: 955D
usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: HCW
usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 0014001506

ls: cannot access '/dev/dvb*': No such file or directory

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR on Kodi/RPi3?0