4k HDR Content washed out
Yes. I tried a BT2020 with 709 primaries. Kodi played this back and it looked great. It seems it did tone mapping automatically (kinda one size fits all but seems to work well for my 175 nits displays), even when color management was turned off. It did not do gamut mapping but since the file used 709 primaries, everything worked out fine.
(2018-04-28, 03:52)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2018-04-27, 22:03)Soli Wrote: I love you devs. Since Kodi 18 supports BT.2020 (and I presume, use the BT.2020 yuv2rgb coefficients), it's a simple matter of using the built-in 3DLut feature to properly convert to SDR. (At least for Linux, don't know if it's implemented properly for Windows yet).

It's not just about tone mapping (which will vary depending on what how many nits the SDR display is set to, also it's useless to tonemap 10000nits, since all current movies have a MaxCLL value between 1000 and 4000 nits), it's also needs gamut mapping (which again should actually not target the bt.2020 color space but D65/DCI-P3 inside a BT.2020 container), and black point and gamma compensation (if you use your display at say 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4 gamma). You need to use a 3DLut, you cannot fake this. I realize including a lot of big 3DLUT files is not very practical. The best would to mimic a proper on-the-fly conversion like madVR is able to, and use the 3DLUT for the ones that require the absolute best quality)

Here's a few 3DLuts you could try. These should work beautifully. Just use the one that looks best for your display. They target a gamma of 2.2.

https://mega.nz/#!5uQAEC5Y!_sfHlVBKsNs1t...j7zqEFFCKE

EDIT: have to take back some of things I wrote. It seems at least the Windows version applies some automatic color management when playing (some or all) HDR files.
 I was gonna say, I was trying these LUTs last night and while the made improvements, human skin tones could only be described as 'supremely orange'. 
 I just tried Leia A1 on Windows yesterday. It seems there is some non defeatable tone mapping built into Kodi. With a 3DLUT you are essentially applying tone mapping twice.
(2018-04-28, 11:50)Soli Wrote:
(2018-04-28, 03:52)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2018-04-27, 22:03)Soli Wrote: I love you devs. Since Kodi 18 supports BT.2020 (and I presume, use the BT.2020 yuv2rgb coefficients), it's a simple matter of using the built-in 3DLut feature to properly convert to SDR. (At least for Linux, don't know if it's implemented properly for Windows yet).

It's not just about tone mapping (which will vary depending on what how many nits the SDR display is set to, also it's useless to tonemap 10000nits, since all current movies have a MaxCLL value between 1000 and 4000 nits), it's also needs gamut mapping (which again should actually not target the bt.2020 color space but D65/DCI-P3 inside a BT.2020 container), and black point and gamma compensation (if you use your display at say 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4 gamma). You need to use a 3DLut, you cannot fake this. I realize including a lot of big 3DLUT files is not very practical. The best would to mimic a proper on-the-fly conversion like madVR is able to, and use the 3DLUT for the ones that require the absolute best quality)

Here's a few 3DLuts you could try. These should work beautifully. Just use the one that looks best for your display. They target a gamma of 2.2.

https://mega.nz/#!5uQAEC5Y!_sfHlVBKsNs1t...j7zqEFFCKE

EDIT: have to take back some of things I wrote. It seems at least the Windows version applies some automatic color management when playing (some or all) HDR files.
 I was gonna say, I was trying these LUTs last night and while the made improvements, human skin tones could only be described as 'supremely orange'.  
 I just tried Leia A1 on Windows yesterday. It seems there is some non defeatable tone mapping built into Kodi. With a 3DLUT you are essentially applying tone mapping twice. 
Yeah I kinda wonder. Kodi on Windows at least seems to do SOME fix on HDR video on my HTPC, it's not 'right' but it's def not 'super pale' like it was six months ago.  And with the LUT applied it goes right to 'Crazy Orange' on skin tones at the least.  So a 'doubling up' seems plausible.
I only use Kodi on Linux but I'm still on 17.x on that platform. For  general desktop use I use Windows, but all my experiences using Kodi on Windows is subject to just trying out Kodi now and then before I feel like a moron and uninstall it...so they must be taken with a grain of salt. That said, it seems that Kodi does have a NON defeatable HDR->SDR tonemapping (In my books, is a big no-no). But it seems it's only limited to tonemapping and does not do full/proper color management. For HDR clips that use REC.709 primaries, it looks quite good although you cannot tailor the tone mapping in regards to your SDR brightness. AFAIK REC.709 inside rec.2020 is very seldom used except for some demo clips. Most target the DCI-P3 primaries and in those cases the result is less than satisfying. My guess is that there's a bug (or rather a few) somewhere.
(2018-04-29, 03:32)Soli Wrote: That said, it seems that Kodi does have a NON defeatable HDR->SDR tonemapping (In my books, is a big no-no). But it seems it's only limited to tonemapping and does not do full/proper color management.
 I didn't look extensively through Kodi codes, but it looks like your assumption is correct. I couldn't find anything related to BT.2020 to BT.709 gamut mapping. I am assuming this is the tonemapping code: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/787a...0264901953 It looks like for tonemapping, it assumes the source gamma is 2.4 (I could be wrong here).

BTW, @madshi has shown some interest: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331394

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4k HDR Content washed out0