Installing Kodi on Samsung TV for dummies like me
As a preface, the jargon used on most other posts is incomprehensible to me.  I've done some research on this question and think I have the answer but before I buy anything I thought it wise to consult the experts. 

I know I can't install Kodi directly on a Samsung smart TV.  However, I think I can buy an "Android TV box", plug it into one of the HDMI ports on my TV and then connect the Android box to my router.  In my case I'd like to use an ethernet cable to keep the speed up.  As I understand Android TV boxes, they are a separate little box like this one:  https://www.tomtop.com/p-v3347eu.html.  In this case apparently Kodi is installed on the box, but if not I can somehow download it to the Android box.  If it's not on the box I wonder how I would get from the Samsung TV through the Android box to the internet to download Kodi.  I've been on the internet through the TV so I know how to do that.  Would the Android box show up before installing Kodi on "Source" list on the TV and allow me to access the internet that way?

Thanks for your answers and patience with an old fart trying to navigate in this electronic universe.
You need to connect the TV box to the internet separately. I suppose you have router? And TV is connected to the router via ethernet cable or Wifi. So you connect the Android box in the same way as the TV. So Android box can download Kodi directly from the net.... TV and android box are NOT connected via ethernet or anything but HDMI cable so the video from the TV box goes to the TV....
Knowing stuff like you can't install Kodi on a Samsung TV and the need for a box of some sort rather disqualifies you from dummy status ;-)

Have a look at the stickied threads at the top of our hardware section for some useful advice threads on the subject of such boxes.

Most recommended for Android is usually the Nvidia shield, but there are other options depending on what else you may want and what your budget is.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks for the response,  now I have another question.  My router connects to the cable modem via ethernet cable and it's been suggested that I use a splitter at the modem, which has a single RJ45 port, so that the KODI box can be connected directly into the modem along with the router cable.  The router, however, has 4 open RJ45 ports and so I could use one of them instead.  My provider is Spectrum (old Charter).  Is there a preference for the modem or the router?  Logic (at least based upon little knowledge) suggests connecting to the router but a friend who has some experience with KODI, suggests connecting to the modem would provide better speed.

Thanks.
do NOT plug the kodi box directly into the modem! That's what routers are for.
I am not aware there are splitters for the modem... there is only router Smile So Internet->modem->router->clients (kodi box)
(2018-04-26, 13:43)CliffPa Wrote: My provider is Spectrum (old Charter).  Is there a preference for the modem or the router? 
These days, modems and routers are one device. I'm sure your provider can pick a decent one.

(2018-04-26, 13:43)CliffPa Wrote: Logic (at least based upon little knowledge) suggests connecting to the router but a friend who has some experience with KODI, suggests connecting to the modem would provide better speed.
Your friend seems to have a peculiar type of logic, as a modem only will not get you a local/home network connection. The modem will only get your physical internet cable signal into your home. The router will make the actual internet connection to your Internet provider via that phone/tv cable coming into your home. The router then connects all your devices (PC, laptop, Android box, smartphone..) into your local network via IP addresses. Thus, you can simply plug in the Android box into the router via an ethernet cable. It may also have wireless network capabilities, but a cabled network is much more preferable.
Thanks to you all for your advice and explanations.  Connecting to the router it is.
(2018-04-26, 15:20)wsnipex Wrote: do NOT plug the kodi box directly into the modem! That's what routers are for.
Thanks For Advise. How about this Mxq pro 4k one
NO not that one
The operating system is android 5.1
installed with 3D graphics
a quad core 2 GHz process
high Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) of 1.4b plus CEC
Supports Audio Visuals (AV)
Mxq pro 4k Supports 3G
Local Area Network (LAN): 10/ 100M Ethernet
Inbuilt Wi-Fi Connectivity 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/shield/

specs to look for is Android 8.1 OS or better
https://www.amazon.com.au/Android-Amlogi...648986&psc=
H96 Max X2 Android 8.1 TV Box Set Top Box 4GB RAM 32GB ROM Amlogic Quad Core Smart TV Box with HDMI 2.0 Streaming Media Player Support BT,LAN,WiFi,Bluetooth,3D,H.265,Game Media Box 4K Ultra HD TV Player

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing Kodi on Samsung TV for dummies like me0