Req Feature request? Kodi Certified Add-on
While trying to debug my sister's system, I found it had some pirated content and plugins. I tried to clean out as much as I could to get her system clean again, but it's not intuitively obvious as to what plugins are considered verbotten and what are considered clean. Even just by looking at the list, it's not easy.

I'd love to see a "KODI Certification" for plugins, or add-ons. This would allow us to stay away from add-ons that should not be installed, and steer us to the ones the Kodi developers encourage. I'd like to see the Add-ons lists updated to allow easy identification of these plugins via a stamp/icon, check-mark or whatever. It would help those that want to dump the bad eggs, but leave their good plugins intact.

I know that there is a whole slew of add-ons on the Add-on page, but with "certification" and the ability to easily identify these in the actual program, it would make life MUCH easier for all I think.

Rather than try to maintain a list of "bad" plugins, which come and go all the time, it would seem to be easier to maintain a list of "approved" plugins. Anything not on the approved, aka certified list, is considered bad. 

I have no idea how a plugin would receive certification, or de-certification or keep the list updated, but I'd like to start the discussion.
Thoughts?
General rule of thumb is that everything in the official repository should safe to be used. Addons that are in the forum but not on the repository are probably okay. Anything you install from third party repos should be considered a risk being it piracy related or not. The Kodi certified is basically a synonim from "Kodi official repository".
There has to be an easier way to identify "Kodi official repository" and forum accepted addons, vs everything else.
By implementing a Kodi Certification program it helps the rest of the community know what is OK and what is not OK, at a glance. You could even charge a small fee for certification to help fund continued development.
The theory is a nice idea, but the problem would be it would be easy to work around, fake or hack.

There would probably be little we could do to prevent that (or it would become yet another arms race) and arguably 3rd party add-ons (especially dodgy ones) carrying their own faked mark would be even worse than no-one having them.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
If Kodi "called home" with CRC checks of approved plugins against a secure source and only added the logo if the crc checks out, the list could be vetted and updated on the fly. Obviously needs internet access, but a cached version might work as well. This would prevent that scenerio, yes?
Not really. Kodi is open source, so there would be little to stop a subtly forked version subverting it, or indeed a "build" either overriding it or just spoofing it so that the average user thinks they're using something approved when they aren't.

It all depends on how it would be implemented of course, but it would be more difficult than it may seem.

Plus such "calling home" could in itself be an issue, not to mention the load it would put on the servers.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2018-04-18, 17:34)enen92 Wrote: General rule of thumb is that everything in the official repository should safe to be used. Addons that are in the forum but not on the repository are probably okay. Anything you install from third party repos should be considered a risk being it piracy related or not. The Kodi certified is basically a synonim from "Kodi official repository".
 Safe to use... sure... working, that's a different story.
I really like this idea, surely it would be possible to add a badge or something to Add-ons that were installed from the official repository?
And, as said, easy enough to get around for other addons.

Just disable the installing of 3rd party addons and only use the official repo.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature request? Kodi Certified Add-on0