Can't change font or colors of MKV subtitiles
I like to use a small font and cyan color for my subtitles.  This works well for for external subtitles that I download. However if I play an MKV file that includes subtitles in the container, they are always the original white color and larger font than I like. There is no way I can change them. Or is there? Is this a bug? Or are we stuck using whatever font and color the subtitle is in the container? Couldn't find the answer through searching. Thank you
Internal subtitles can be of a different type just like external subtitles.

Some subtitles do have 'makeup', and will be displayed with such. It's not a bug.
The simplest way right now to avoid that is to either download the .SRT equivalent, or convert the internal subtitle into a .SRT variant.
Ok so you are saying if I'm using handbrake to encode I should import the SRT instead of using the original. Understood. Adds an extra step but I guess it can be done.
Actually that doesn't work. All MKVs play in white large subtitles no matter what even if encoded with downloaded SRT. Th only way is too download the SRT within Kodi. Kind of defeats the purpose of encoding in MKV format. Maybe this is something the developers could look into fixing. I would call it a bug.
There are tools to extract files/streams from an MKV file, including subtitle files.
After the conversion to SRT, you can re-mux them into the MKV file.
See MKVToolnix and MKVExtract.
Did that. But once they are back in the MKV, subtitles are back to being white and big again.
If the subtitle's color and size are still there, then either the old subtitle stream is still there or the white and big subtitles have been permanently burnt into the video stream.
So is SRT format subs that are now inside the MKV?

Run MediaInfo on the file to confirm exactly what it contains.
In case the subtitles are in .ass/.ssa format, there's a setting on Player/Language/Override ass/ssa subtitle fonts, which I guess if enabled it will override the color/font that the .ass/.ssa subtitle might have with whatever is set on Kodi.
In conclusion, what it comes down to is Kodi is unable to change fonts, font size or color of subtitles that are embedded (not burned into the video) in MKV files. This should be noted somewhere. Either in documentation or in the language/subtitles setting.
(2018-04-19, 15:46)yoyoma Wrote: This should be noted somewhere.
Did you check your "Player/Language/Override ASS/SSA subtitle fonts" settings?
Yes. It doesn't change anything.
(2018-04-19, 15:46)yoyoma Wrote: In conclusion, what it comes down to is Kodi is unable to change fonts, font size or color of subtitles that are embedded (not burned into the video) in MKV files. This should be noted somewhere. Either in documentation or in the language/subtitles setting.
You are simply wrong. I just tried it again (in case I had missed a change). Works fine (17.6, linux).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Same problem here!
On Sony Bravia Android tv Xbr-55805e

Files are MKV with packed subs (not burn, I CAN disable'em).

Subs show in large font in white and have some transparency.

Using the tv video app, they show plain white.Image
(2018-04-21, 04:52)ofesad Wrote: Files are MKV with packed subs (not burn, I CAN disable'em).
Can you get us a MediaInfo summery of that video, or some other video tool showing the streams in that MKV?

(2018-04-21, 04:52)ofesad Wrote: Subs show in large font in white and have some transparency.
Who knows which witchcraft is summoned in the ASS/SSA subtitle?
If you could extract that subtitle stream, things would become clear.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't change font or colors of MKV subtitiles0