v18 bug : End of recording not matching EPG duration
I think I've discovered a bug that has cropped up with Tvheadend and Kodi 18 when watching recordings. (I haven't thoroughly investigated this yet; at the moment this is mostly anecdotal, and I'm looking for confirmation among other users.)

I've noticed that with Kodi v18, the HTSP client now uses the EPG duration when playing back a recording, rather than the duration of the recorded file itself. For instance, I have a couple programs that I have created Autotimer rules for that have a post-recording duration of a couple minutes because they tend to get cut off: if their EPG duration is slated to be 60 minutes but I have a 3 minute post-recording padding, the recorded file should be 63 minutes. However, when I select the recording in Kodi, the duration displayed still only displays 60 minutes, even though the recorded file itself is 63 minutes long. (Under Kodi v17 this was not the case.) Likewise, if for some reason there was and error in the recording (or for some reason I've replaced an error-riddled recording with a downloaded copy from else and informed Tvheadend about the new file with a call to /api/dvr/entry/filemoved to inform it of the new location of the downloaded recording) and the new file is only 46 minutes long instead of 60 minutes, Kodi will still display the duration as being 60 minutes, even though the file it is playing is only 46 minutes long.

The problem isn't really with the playback of the file; for the most part that plays without issue. The problem is what happens when Kodi reaches the end the file. If I manually stop playback before the end of the file is reached (regardless of whether the actual file's duration is shorter or longer than the EPG duration of the recorded program), there is no problem. However, and without fail, if I allow Kodi to play the recorded file to the end for a recording which actual duration differs from the EPG duration, Kodi crashes. This happens irrespective of whether the recording is shorter or longer than the EPG duration.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just imagining a correlation between the crashes of Kodi and what is causing it? (I know this is alpha software, but in my experience this is pretty much the only time I really experience crashes.) Is there some odd reason why the HTSP client is only reporting the duration of a recorded program as the EPG duration, rather than the actual duration that was recorded?
(2018-04-19, 06:07)rpcameron Wrote: I think I've discovered a bug that has cropped up with Tvheadend and Kodi 18 when watching recordings. (I haven't thoroughly investigated this yet; at the moment this is mostly anecdotal, and I'm looking for confirmation among other users.)

I've noticed that with Kodi v18, the HTSP client now uses the EPG duration when playing back a recording, rather than the duration of the recorded file itself. For instance, I have a couple programs that I have created Autotimer rules for that have a post-recording duration of a couple minutes because they tend to get cut off: if their EPG duration is slated to be 60 minutes but I have a 3 minute post-recording padding, the recorded file should be 63 minutes. However, when I select the recording in Kodi, the duration displayed still only displays 60 minutes, even though the recorded file itself is 63 minutes long. (Under Kodi v17 this was not the case.) Likewise, if for some reason there was and error in the recording (or for some reason I've replaced an error-riddled recording with a downloaded copy from else and informed Tvheadend about the new file with a call to /api/dvr/entry/filemoved to inform it of the new location of the downloaded recording) and the new file is only 46 minutes long instead of 60 minutes, Kodi will still display the duration as being 60 minutes, even though the file it is playing is only 46 minutes long.

The problem isn't really with the playback of the file; for the most part that plays without issue. The problem is what happens when Kodi reaches the end the file. If I manually stop playback before the end of the file is reached (regardless of whether the actual file's duration is shorter or longer than the EPG duration of the recorded program), there is no problem. However, and without fail, if I allow Kodi to play the recorded file to the end for a recording which actual duration differs from the EPG duration, Kodi crashes. This happens irrespective of whether the recording is shorter or longer than the EPG duration.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just imagining a correlation between the crashes of Kodi and what is causing it? (I know this is alpha software, but in my experience this is pretty much the only time I really experience crashes.) Is there some odd reason why the HTSP client is only reporting the duration of a recorded program as the EPG duration, rather than the actual duration that was recorded?

Are you using Estuary or some other skin?
This is in Estuary. I remember back with v17, the duration of the program listed in the Recordings view would reflect the EPG duration, but when actually playing a file the OSD used the file's actual duration. However, with v18 the OSD duration is the EPG duration, not the file's duration.

Is this a change in how Estuary is working, a change in how pvr.hts works, or a deeper change in Kodi itself?

(Remember, it is wholly possible that this is all my head and I am drawing conclusions based upon anecdotal evidence and coincidence, as I haven't gone down the route of deep debugging. This is more of a call to see others have noticed something similar and its a known problem, or if I need to do further research to find concrete evidence.)
It just happened again this evening. I have an Autorec that adds 2 minutes because the show always seems to run long. In Tvheadend's web interface, everything is shown correctly. However, when playing the recording in Kodi v18, the duration only shows 60 minutes, not 62 minutes. Then, when playback attempts to play beyond 60 minutes, Kodi crashes. Also, if I manually attempt to seek beyond the EPG duration (as in, enter 61 minutes as my seek time), Kodi ends playback because it believes it is beyond the end of the file.

I suppose this makes it a pvr.hts bug rather than a Kodi bug. Tomorrow I'll have to grab a debug log and more details; I'm just too tired right now.
(2018-04-20, 05:53)rpcameron Wrote: It just happened again this evening. I have an Autorec that adds 2 minutes because the show always seems to run long. In Tvheadend's web interface, everything is shown correctly. However, when playing the recording in Kodi v18, the duration only shows 60 minutes, not 62 minutes. Then, when playback attempts to play beyond 60 minutes, Kodi crashes. Also, if I manually attempt to seek beyond the EPG duration (as in, enter 61 minutes as my seek time), Kodi ends playback because it believes it is beyond the end of the file.

I suppose this makes it a pvr.hts bug rather than a Kodi bug. Tomorrow I'll have to grab a debug log and more details; I'm just too tired right now.

which tvheadend version?
This is with Tvheadend 4.2.6-1 (git-74220185d). And of course, as I set up debug logging and capturing screenshots of the discrepancies of times, etc., when I attempt to recreate the situation that leads to a crash, it fails to do so. (Just like when you have a problem with your car, take it to the mechanic, but the car fails to exhibit the same problem that caused you to take it in in the first place.)

So, I suppose I'll have to put a pin in this issue right now. However, the crashes are really too frequent with v18, so I'm going to have to move my frontends back to 17.6. (I really liked the improvement of watching recordings-in-progress, but it still has a few issues.) I guess I'll revisit this issue when the next pre-release of Kodi is tagged ...
(2018-04-20, 18:46)rpcameron Wrote: This is with Tvheadend 4.2.6-1 (git-74220185d). And of course, as I set up debug logging and capturing screenshots of the discrepancies of times, etc., when I attempt to recreate the situation that leads to a crash, it fails to do so. (Just like when you have a problem with your car, take it to the mechanic, but the car fails to exhibit the same problem that caused you to take it in in the first place.)

So, I suppose I'll have to put a pin in this issue right now. However, the crashes are really too frequent with v18, so I'm going to have to move my frontends back to 17.6. (I really liked the improvement of watching recordings-in-progress, but it still has a few issues.) I guess I'll revisit this issue when the next pre-release of Kodi is tagged ...

All I can say to this is that it works just fine for me in the combination Leia nightly with latest pvr.hts and tvh 4.2.6... Both recording window and player OSD show the actual recording duration, including pre and post recording times, if present.

There must be something different/special in your setup.
(2018-04-20, 20:05)ksooo Wrote:
(2018-04-20, 18:46)rpcameron Wrote: This is with Tvheadend 4.2.6-1 (git-74220185d). And of course, as I set up debug logging and capturing screenshots of the discrepancies of times, etc., when I attempt to recreate the situation that leads to a crash, it fails to do so. (Just like when you have a problem with your car, take it to the mechanic, but the car fails to exhibit the same problem that caused you to take it in in the first place.)

All I can say to this is that it works just fine for me in the combination Leia nightly with latest pvr.hts and tvh 4.2.6... Both recording window and player OSD show the actual recording duration, including pre and post recording times, if present.

There must be something different/special in your setup.

I agree that there's got to be something else odd going on. Perhaps I'll maintain a machine running Leia nightlies; but I'm still going to revert my frontends back to Krypton. It's a shame, because despite the frequent crashes, I've noticed reduced memory usage and improved responsiveness/performance with Leia, especially on Pi2/3 frontends.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
v18 bug : End of recording not matching EPG duration0