Solved Kubuntu 18.04 cannot use Kodi ppa
I was trying to install Kodi in a fresh Kubuntu 18.04 install and as usually I added Kodi's repo:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa

but when I update the packages I always get this error:
Code:
Err:7 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu bionic Release                                                 
  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
Hit:8 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease                        
Reading package lists... Done                      
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu bionic Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Can you check what's wrong with it, please?

Thank you very much in advance.
There is no stable version for bionic (it's not out - is it?). Use nightly ppa.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Bionic Beaver itself will be out in a week or so, 26 April afaik.
Not yet, almost there but still 5 more days to go until the final release, it's released on the 26th: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseSchedule

I'll wait a bit more so I can install the latest stable version (17.6) instead of a nightly version.

Thank you very much for your help.
I haven't yet decided if I'll backport krypton to ubuntu 18.04
(2018-04-21, 13:13)wsnipex Wrote: I haven't yet decided if I'll backport krypton to ubuntu 18.04
 I think we should provide v18 only. There are many advantages including: wayland support if needed, VAAPI 2.1 support for AMD gpus (if Ubuntu picks mesa 18.0.1, I opened a bug with them) and much more.

See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1760566
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-04-21, 13:19)fritsch Wrote: I think we should provide v18 only.
For those users sticking to stable Kodi builds, but wanting to use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, they will be without a stable Kodi build for quite some time...
I installed Kodi 18 Leia from the nightly repo but did not use it much, as it started the skin I use is (still) not compatible with it and when Leia is in full screen kwin's desktop grid and pager (and probably more stuff) do not work, leaving me stuck in Kodi until I close it or change it to windowed mode in the settings. So not really an option here.
(2018-04-22, 00:34)pemartins Wrote: I installed Kodi 18 Leia from the nightly repo but did not use it much, as it started the skin I use is (still) not compatible with it and when Leia is in full screen kwin's desktop grid and pager (and probably more stuff) do not work, leaving me stuck in Kodi until I close it or change it to windowed mode in the settings. So not really an option here.
 KWIN is not suggested running under kodi as it does compositing and nicely interferes with everything we try to do in order to properly sync to the display. For the grid / pager stuff you will have the same issue with v17.

As @wsnipex does all the work - his take
It seems the default Ubuntu repos are using the Debian build of Kodi... should be fine right?   Afaik the whole situaion with libav has been resolved... no?
Interested in what is happening due to me updating to 18.04. Not sure how stable v18 is at the moment.
(2018-04-29, 10:15)thekow Wrote: Not sure how stable v18 is at the moment.
v18 is still in the Alpha stages, so be prepared for anything Smile
So, users who want to use the latest stable version of Ubuntu will have to use an alpha version of kodi? WTF?
(2018-04-29, 16:47)nosheeng Wrote: So, users who want to use the latest stable version of Ubuntu will have to use an alpha version of kodi? WTF?
 Users of latest and greatest distributions can easily build kodi from sources ... there is no written law on this planet that users that have the full source code and compile instructions available get a ppa ... btw. we only package a stable build for ubuntu since many years, cause Debian / Ubuntu fail to provide a working build ... if you don't like the service of Ubuntu  / Debian, switch distributions.
(2018-04-29, 17:11)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-04-29, 16:47)nosheeng Wrote: So, users who want to use the latest stable version of Ubuntu will have to use an alpha version of kodi? WTF?
 Users of latest and greatest distributions can easily build kodi from sources ... there is no written law on this planet that users that have the full source code and compile instructions available get a ppa ... btw. we only package a stable build for ubuntu since many years, cause Debian / Ubuntu fail to provide a working build ... if you don't like the service of Ubuntu  / Debian, switch distributions.     
So will apt-get build-dep kodi pull the libs for Kodi to build correctly on Ubuntu 18.04?

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y build-dep kodi && sudo apt-get -y install libssl-dev
sudo apt-get build-dep kodi && git clone -b Krypton git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
cd xbmc
./bootstrap
./configure
make -j2
sudo checkinstall -D --install=yes -y --pkgname="kodi" --pkgversion=17.6 --nodoc --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yesl
Does this look right?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kubuntu 18.04 cannot use Kodi ppa1