Minimal box that supports large external drive? Any tricks for FTV Stick 2?
Hi All,

I'm trying to set a system for a relative that is not running a file server, so everything needs to be on an external drive. I have a FireTV Stick 2 and a nice 8T external Seagate, but connecting them is turning out to be more problematic than I expected. Because of the size of the drive FAT32 is not an option, so I've been trying different file systems, but it seems that out of the box FAT32 is the only thing supported. Everything else needs StickMount, which only works rooted, which apparently doesn't work on the new FTV Stick. Sad

Are there any tricks that I missed to get the FTVS2 to support bigger filesystems? If that's not possible, can anybody recommend another budget box that can support this? Unfortunately this ability is not generally listed in any of the specs...

Any help welcome!

dpr1
Do you need Amazon Video streaming ?
Because they really narrows the media player device field down to the USB capable - NVIDIA Shield or the older FireTV2.

Have you tried plugging the HDD into a home router ?
Modern ones all comes with SMB file server support.

If the router doesn't support adding a drive you could look at a small portable one (like this one ) which connects to your WiFi and supports the drive via USB, sharing it by SMB or dlna if you prefer.

I use one sometimes when traveling and it works fine.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks for the recommendations! The problem is that I probably won't be there to install it, so I need to make it as self-contained and preconfigured as possible.

I solved the size problem with a MiBox, which supports exfat out of the box. But (as I learned later) it has a bug that prevents it from writing to external drives, so I can't put the kodi DB on the drive. I'm hoping for a Nougat or Oreo update (not holding my breath), or that I can reduce the DB size for it to fit in the internal memory.

I do like the RAVPower solution though, I may have to go there if I run out of internal memory. Looking at the description it seems it only supports DLNA, not SMB. Is that a limitation for kodi? I get all my metadata from my PC using MediaElch, so I have that ready to go by the time the drive hits the TV device and would prefer not having to get it again. Alternatively I'm looking at a Linksys EA6350. More expensive, but supports USB3...

Thanks!
The filehub supports DLNA and SMB, although I'm not sure currently which is the maximum version of SMB. I think it's SMB1, but I've not updated mine lately to know if they also support SMB2/3, as if you're going to expose it to the wider internet then there's the risk from Wannacry and similar security exploits. When I use mine it's to form its own local network without internet access (although it can do so), so for me that's not a major issue.

There are other variants of that kind of device around, so do a little Google research. There might be some with more modern or up-to-date features - I just know the RavPower one as I have one.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I purchased the Wetek Hub and used dual boot to load Libreelec onto it.

I also have 6 external drives connected to it.
(2018-04-24, 05:58)dpr1 Wrote: I solved the size problem with a MiBox, which supports exfat out of the box. But (as I learned later) it has a bug that prevents it from writing to external drives, so I can't put the kodi DB on the drive. I'm hoping for a Nougat or Oreo update (not holding my breath), or that I can reduce the DB size for it to fit in the internal memory.

It's not a bug, it's just how Android works. Because of how the Storage Access Framework works, you are only allowed to write to the root or other folders on external drives if an app asks permission. Kodi does not do this. But what you can do is write to the apps folder, which for Kodi is located at /your_storage/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/ this is created by Android once you plug in a drive and run the app.  The app has full permission to this location and if you need read/write permission this is the location you should use.

However, if you're wanting to increase your internal storage space, the best option is to adopt your storage.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Reading from the manual, it seems that you have to disconnect from the router and connect directly to the RavPower File Hub, and lose the connection to the internet while using the device.

Completely useless.
The Ravpower can connect to the router and act as a bridge between them. So you end up with a local wireless network generated by the RP, but that itself can link to your wider network and then on to the internet.

I tend not to use it that way as there's no real need, but it is possible to do it.

Kodi Blog Posts
Does the Ravpower support multiple hard drives connected?

When you have 6 Hard drives already full of movies (and I'm adding a 7th one very soon), you need something that can support expansion.
No, it only has one USB port.

What would happen if you connect a hub to that I have no idea, but from the software-side of how it works I don't think it would, as that's not what it's designed for.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimal box that supports large external drive? Any tricks for FTV Stick 2?0