Android Error 2: Share Not Available
I've spent hours on this one.

I have Kodi on my Android Smart TV and Tablet. Works fine connecting to one of my MyCloud NAS units. Decided to setup a "volume 2" with another MyCloud NAS I have. Keep trying to add it to Kodi and get Error 2: Share Not Available. I have compared both MyCloud devices settings by settings and they are the same. I can see the second MyCloud on my Windows 10 PC, on my Android device with ES Explorer and I can even open files on my tablet to it.

But for the life of me, I cannot get it added to my video streaming in Kodi via SMB. I give it the server name, tried browsing, added the ip address instead, added the shared folder and I get the Error 2: Share Not Available.

What could I be doing wrong? Thank you!
(2018-04-22, 17:56)themusj Wrote: I've spent hours on this one.
So do we, explaining to people what changed and why in the latest Kodi stable and nightly builds Smile

In short, Kodi recently started using SMBv2 instead of the 'ancient' SMBv1. The old Samba version simply allowed way too much in all kinds of ways (remember the worldwide WannaCry attack?).

For correct SMBv2 usage, you need a Windows user with full credentials, meaning a password is required.
Also, SMBv2 does not support network browsing. Thus, you will need to use the "Add a network location..." in the Kodi GUI when adding video/music sources.

It is very much possible that your other devices are still using/supporting the SMBv1 protocol. Kodi decided to take the more secure step in SMB networking.
I can appreciate your frustration with users asking the same questions or being ignorant. [I work full time in IT and see this everyday. I have to remember why I am there and they are my 'ministry' so to speak.] I did spend several hours looking even on this site and just didn't find the information. Obviously I missed it.

I was back on this post ironically to say I got it to work just now. But the only thing I did was change the share name and device name. Go figure. Didn't have to enter any credentials or make any other changes.

I do appreciate your quick response!
(2018-04-22, 18:10)themusj Wrote: Didn't have to enter any credentials or make any other changes.
Then you are probably still on a SMBv1 network. The walls have ears/eyes... Wink
is 17.6 on android running smb2 because for awhile network share browsing comes up empty have to add manually which is fine. im sharing from a windows 10 pro updated machine. so i guess its using smb2?

it would be nice if it showed the smb version in kodi information in the network tab so we didnt need to guess.
Kodi 17.6 (and lower) on android has only support for SMBv1.
(2018-04-22, 17:56)themusj Wrote: I've spent hours on this one.

I have Kodi on my Android Smart TV and Tablet. Works fine connecting to one of my MyCloud NAS units. Decided to setup a "volume 2" with another MyCloud NAS I have. Keep trying to add it to Kodi and get Error 2: Share Not Available. I have compared both MyCloud devices settings by settings and they are the same. I can see the second MyCloud on my Windows 10 PC, on my Android device with ES Explorer and I can even open files on my tablet to it.

But for the life of me, I cannot get it added to my video streaming in Kodi via SMB. I give it the server name, tried browsing, added the ip address instead, added the shared folder and I get the Error 2: Share Not Available.

What could I be doing wrong? Thank you!

USE THIS
Add source
smb:// now up address /
Pick name for server - done

So, add source
smb://ip-address/ *IP address removed by moderator*
Video Store
Done

Your welcome, all these convoluted explanations, just tell me the steps and stop yammering on. Spent hours trying to read all these forums with no luck, figured it out myself.

Doinkmiester our
(2020-02-14, 12:03)Doinkmiester Wrote: USE THIS

Why are you starting your first post in an almost 2 yr old thread, and mentioning an IP address that leads to nowhere...

(2020-02-14, 12:03)Doinkmiester Wrote: Your welcome, all these convoluted explanations, just tell me the steps and stop yammering on.

Hmmm... Tell Microsoft to do just that when bringing up network connectivity. It would save us a lot of time and effort as well.
The latest KODi 19 builds have smb share issues too. The build from 25.01.2020 is working, after this no connections.

Log https://paste.kodi.tv/winuxikeja.kodi or https://pastebin.com/MrRaWF49
Thank you very much your answer was so easy to follow and worked first time after weeks of following other leads
Thanks once again
(2020-05-04, 12:46)mangoose Wrote: Thank you very much your answer was so easy to follow

Useless quoting of posts is not appreciated.

Also this being your first posts, which is also based on nothing (the post you quoted contained no useful info whatsoever), will keep you on our radar for the time being.
I have also spent a lot of time on this one...
Here is what worked for me :
You need to have a windows10 with a Microsoft account on the server side. The account has to be allowed on the shared folder you want to access.
Then back to kodi : enter the name of the computer, the name of the folder, and then for the user , here is the trick : if your email is something like "[email protected]", use "nicol" for the username. To be sure check on the windows 10 user folder, the exact name that has been used for the folder. It should work.
Hello everybody,
it is my first post and my first time with Kodi. I cannot connect from an Android smartphone (Samsung J5) over a wifi network to reach a shared Windows10Pro music folder. Instead to open a new thread, I try to add to this one: I also have the same error "Error 2: Share Not Available". Kodi app for Android v18.7.
I did not understand any of the previous suggestions in this thread and I would appreciate a clear explanation, if there is a solution to the issue. Anyone could help? Many thanks!

matteo
Im also getting this error. Does the user need to be an administrator on the windows machine?
(2021-01-24, 22:26)Matthew Horton Wrote: Im also getting this error. Does the user need to be an administrator on the windows machine?

I found the best solution to go to File Manager and add the source there first. Once it is recognized there, it seems to be able to be added as a source under Videos with no real issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error 2: Share Not Available0