Kodi with ethernet instead of wifi?
Hello, I have a custom build computer which doesn't have a wifi transmitter. I don't like to use wifi in my room because the signal going from downstairs to upstares where my room is located the signal is kinda weak. I do have an ethernet cable which goes through the walls up to my room. Is it possible to set up Kodi to run off of my ethernet connection? If so can you give me step by step directions on how I could set it up?
https://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-Ethernet
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
I don't think Kodi cares how you connect, it's a Windows feature.  If you are in an environment with both Wifi and wired, you probably want to use a router setup that allows all devices to be on the same sub-net so Kodi can find SMB shares on other devices  (this assumes you do some local content sharing between devices).

scott s.
(2018-04-22, 20:23)whysoserious Wrote: https://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-Ethernet
 OMG are you serious? This is a forum for Kodi and I was asking How to set up Kodi via ethernet. Why the H did you send me a link which tells me step by step on how to set up an ethernet connection? Try to use a little common sense in the future.
As far as I can see Kodi only has options to set up via ethernet. There are no options in the basic setup to set it up to do so. So by asking this question, I was kinda hoping people would get that I am looking for a workaround. But it looks like subtleties aren't widely accepted on this forum. So to make it blatant, Has anyone figured out any type of workaround to set up Kodi using an ethernet connection rather than a wifi connection?
I am talking about in-app setup not external.
Kodi just uses the connection provided by the operating system. You posted in Windows forum, so you need to check the windows configuration if you are experiencing difficulties.

In most cases it is as simple as plugging in the ethernet cable in the back/side of your computer. There is no kodi settings required.

In case you are still struggling... think of your web browser. Do you go into its settings page and set up the internet connection? Think of all the other software on your computer... have you ever individually set up internet connections for them? Of course not. That is the job of Windows. Windows then feeds the connection to whatever software needs it... including Kodi.

Please be respectful to members that are trying to assist you. You are obviously struggling with the concept so there is absolutely nothing wrong with the link that @whysoserious provided you. We don't know you, we have no idea of your technological skill level. We do not tolerate abuse or piracy here. Fair warning
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-04-22, 20:02)Secure.d.vega Wrote: Hello, I have a custom build computer which doesn't have a wifi transmitter. I don't like to use wifi in my room because the signal going from downstairs to upstares where my room is located the signal is kinda weak. I do have an ethernet cable which goes through the walls up to my room. Is it possible to set up Kodi to run off of my ethernet connection? If so can you give me step by step directions on how I could set it up?
 Can you explain what you're trying to do. If your computer doesnt have a wifi nic only a wired one how would it ever use wireless in your room or are you taliking about an ethernet only server downstairs and a laptop or other second PC upstairs with both wireless and wired nics in it and you want to use this on wired only?
Later version of windows can make use of multiply connections and bundle traffic to increase bandwidth, but if you want only to use the wired connection just turn off wireless on the PC upstairs!

If you dont want to do this manually there are methods/utilities to automatically disable wireless if a wired connection is detected. Useful if you have applications that can only be accessed via a predefined MAC address

https://www.itechtics.com/5-ways-automat...connected/
Kodi has lot of problems not just remotely has errors useing ethernet works best useing wifi .if is wired best alternative would be portforwarding
(2022-04-14, 22:39)Jasephase2k9 Wrote: Kodi has lot of problems not just remotely has errors useing ethernet works best useing wifi .
What kind of total unsubstantiated nonsense are you attempting to utter on this forum?

(2022-04-14, 22:39)Jasephase2k9 Wrote: if is wired best alternative would be portforwarding
Port forwarding has exactly nothing to do with network speeds.
Stop scribbling your drunk fantasies, or your forum account will come to a sudden stop very quickly.
Good advice in this thread so far - but to make it blatantly obvious

1) go into the video selection on your home page.
2) choose add videos
3) add video source
4) pick browse for media location
5) choose windows network (smb) or add a network location.
6) drill down to the target media, back-up one folder and select as source.
7) proceed as new source type choosing scraper and various tags.
8) allow scrape.
Sorry, the listed instructions are not enough to complete the setup.

There are parts you need to fill, and by past times I know for a fact that is nothing but a straight away step.

If you do fill the right data the connection will not happen.

So please me where I can get clear and complete instructions to link, through Kodi and using Shield Pro, to my PC.
(2023-11-20, 18:40)carlmart Wrote: So please me where I can get clear and complete instructions to link, through Kodi and using Shield Pro, to my PC.

this post is old and is not intended as a tutorial

use this post instead https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=362113

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi with ethernet instead of wifi?0