iOS Get Kodi on the app store
Hello,

I have been using Kodi for quite some time now, with great satifsaction.

One Downside is the total absence of KODI from the apple store. I have some Apple devices and would really be happy to be able to install Kodi.

Why is there no Kodi on the app store? Because of the add on feature.

I know that it‘s usually complicated developping new features, but on the other hand, disabling features shouldn‘t be that complicated.

I think it would be good for KODI as a whole (image, among others) to be present on the apple store.

Seeing the price that is asked for the „full“ version of Mrmc (6,99 Euros) it could also be profitable for KODI to have a paid version, that could cover the apple developer fee and even help with other costs associated to the application development.

I am willing to help but have limited coding skills. (I could do the applestore paperwork though)

Is there any possibility that we get this going?

Greetings,
I think that would go against the whole philosophy of Kodi which is customizability. What's wrong with MrMC's version on the app store?
1) the theme sucks
2) the price is exagerated
3) it hinders KODI visibility and comforts people in that "KODI is for hackers"
Kodi cannot be added to the app store as a paid app, as it's set up explicitly under the FOSS model and licensing.

Due to that every single person who has ever contributed code to it (yes, every single person) would need to agree to changing that, which I know many of the active people would never do, let alone all of the people who have submitted small (or not so small) items of code and then gone silent.

Plus the aim is to keep things as broadly equal across all the platforms as possible, and so ripping out all the python and add-on support on one platform would essentially make it a fork as it would have to be maintained almost as a separate entity. For the team that's too much work for something that we couldn't get any more return on than we currently do (see the point above).

Also remember that Kodi is produced by a team of volunteers basically for its own merit rather than for profit or any other kind of reward. So getting it out there and into as many homes and devices as possible isn't really a strong motivating factor leading to a desire to have it in all the app stores etc. Yes we would like it in there, but on suitable terms. MrMC have decided to focus more on their way of doing things which is fine, but that's their choice and path and isn't quite the same as the one the kodi team are taking.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
thanks for your Answer DarrenHill

The paid APP was a suggestion Smile. If it's free it's even better. what i wonder is how MrMc can sell his because he used the same original sources, so it should still be FOSS shouldn't it?

I guess what you are saying is that the python addon is integrated everywhere in the platform so it's complicated to root it out?

But if there were a simple way to do (put it on the app store) it do you think it would be doable?

For instance, if a functionality is present but not accessible that makes it "gone" so basicly a dedicated "skin" or just a slight modification of the menus would do the trick.

What I see out there is a lot of people doing workarounds to get Kodi on their apple TV, and i think the investment of the same energy into another type of solution could give a more interesting result for everyone.

I am not criticizing the work everyone is doing, don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan and supporter, just trying to think how we could improve the situation.

Thanks a lot for Kodi anyhow! Smile
(2018-05-02, 09:33)DarrenHill Wrote: Kodi cannot be added to the app store as a paid app, as it's set up explicitly under the FOSS model and licensing.

Due to that every single person who has ever contributed code to it (yes, every single person) would need to agree to changing that, which I know many of the active people would never do, let alone all of the people who have submitted small (or not so small) items of code and then gone silent.
You can charge for GPL software binaries: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-license...ownloadFee
As long as you you provide the sources to allow anyone to build their own binaries, GPL is fulfilled.

Any random guy, even if he has never contributed a single line of code, can take the Kodi codebase and sell binaries, although he would have to rebrand because the "Kodi" brand is protected.

Remember that FOSS is "Free and Open Source Software".

As I understood from davilla, the problem is not python, it's being able to install addons from repositories which is not allowed by Apple.

Just my $0.02 Wink
Correct, there is (and has always been) zero issue running code interpreters (like python) along side of binary code. In fact, MrMC v3.6.0 features the return of python ( https://mrmc.tv/2018/03/28/mrmc-and-mrmc...th-python/ ).
OK so although python is returning the addons will have to be included in the install package. Just curious, do Apple store requirements prevent anyway of adding to software packages from outside of the Apple store? so not only a repo is out of the question but also the the install from zip method of adding addons? or is it simply the case you want to keep what can be added to MrMC a curated selection of addons?
(2018-05-02, 08:35)Beankylla Wrote: 2) the price is exagerated

On this point, once you start charging for an app then you are far more likely to quickly come to the attention of the likes of Dolby/DTS in which case licence fees need to be paid, as they don't want anyone profiteering from their IP if they don't get their cut.
so this is actually possible? We just need to get a version of KODI without the possibility to install new addons and it can go on the app store?

that would be really nice Smile

Who has the actual skills to do something like that? (bummer question where i fall out Sad)
(2018-05-02, 16:03)jjd-uk Wrote: OK so although python is returning the addons will have to be included in the install package. Just curious, do Apple store requirements prevent anyway of adding to software packages from outside of the Apple store? so not only a repo is out of the question but also the the install from zip method of adding addons? or is it simply the case you want to keep what can be added to MrMC a curated selection of addons?
 It's not about control, it's about perception. MrMC does not want any association with pirate addons, however small the possibility. We did think long about running an controlled external repo (also permitted with conditions) but there are just too many ways to play "man-in-the-middle" and redirect. The only 100 percent certain way to do this is to package the addons/skins with the install and have a runtime white list. The runtime white list prevents anything not approved at compile time from being listed, loaded or run. The Apple Store supports very large apps as do the other Stores. So App size is not really an issue.

Realistically, while technically, Kodi 'could' enter under the Apple Store model, it would not stay there for long. The unfortunate reputation that Kodi has regarding piracy would get it bounced out or rejected during review. Apple's App review is rather strict and complete. Unlike Google, they actually run and exercise submitted Apps. For example, if you play music when backgrounded, be prepared to supply music files for them to use while they test playing music while in the background Smile Amazon is better (they also run apps during review) and they are starting to tighten up their policies.
Now I don't see why we would get bounced if MrMc is in. They might have a tight control but if the app sticks to the rules, it shouldn't be an issue should it?

An easy example of an app that "shouldn't" be on the app store because they had a piracy reputation:

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/napster/...58244?mt=8

Big Grin
So where should we start? Is there an official IOS kodi dev or a group of IOS Kodi devs that we should contact to try and get this going?
That would be me currently and I am so not interested in the App Store ... you got MrMC for that.

We had this discussion a dozens of times.

Going to the App Store would also interfere with our kodi release cycle. If apple says “use Xcode xyz NOW or you app will be removed from the store” I would have to jump and do so whenever Apple wants it.

That’s against my usual schedule which is more like “it’s done when it’s done”.

I just see zero benefits in having kodi in the AppStore according to the user count on iOS and the burden it contains for making Kodi compatible and the loops it would need to please their reviewers.

If someone steps up and says - “yeah I would do what is needed to make Kodi App Store compliant and I am willing to support the App Store for let’s say the next 5 years” and if the changes needed to be done in the code base are acceptable from a “feature list” point of view - I of course wouldn’t block it.

Also we should consider the fact that once we have the source code online for being App Store compliant - the chance that idiots fork and add their version to the App Store and make a quick buck might increase.

While this would of course be legal - I am definitely not the one who would like to pave the way for that. Because in my opinion people should earn their money with work they are doing not with the work others are doing.

Kodi on iOS is niche based on the user count. And it’s a wonder that nobody pulled the plug yet for iOS support now that I am more or less a passive team member currently.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hello Memphis,

Thanks for your answer! Maybe if this discussion comes back in a routinely matter it should be pinned to put the colours straight up.

I get your point: it is annoying to have constraints when you are doing dev as a hobby.

I'm not really sure about the fork risk, because apparently this isn't happening to MrMc (and he has his source code published). Why would Kodi be more of a target?

My only point in all this is, it's difficult to get Kodi on IOS, and also a burdon to keep active.

Then i get it that you have no interest in changing the situation because it involves a lot of work, and this work has no value in your eyes.

So in the end we "just" need to find this one person, who, like you said would be motivated to bring Kodi to the app store.

Thanks for your work !

Great day!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Get Kodi on the app store0