Kodi 17.6 crashes while playing shuffled m3u playlist
Hello,

I've had this persistent problem that when I am playing an m3u audio playlist, Kodi crashes with no obvious cause.  The m3u playlist is a list of mp3 files that is generated nightly via a script so I know the paths and files exist.  I have "Crossfade between songs" enabled and set for 15 seconds.  Right before Kodi crashes, I'll hear the sound cut out for a moment at the beginning of the crossfade and then it either crashes with the next song or it will crash after a couple more songs.  The m3u file has about 1060 songs, so it is certainly not excessive in size.  I am about at my wits end trying to figure this out because the log file and the crashlog file doesn't seem to have anything that points an obvious finger (to me at least) as to what the culprit is.

Here is the crashlog with full DEBUG turned on for everything: crashlog

If there is any other information that is required, please let me know.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
I never seem to get much from cash logs, sorry. Perhaps you could post a debug log (no components enabled to keep it manageable size).  Is there any pattern to the song(s) playing before the crash, or the number of songs or time played? Does it ever play without crashing?
I am glad I am not the only one who found the crashlog less than enlightening.   Big Grin

I wish I could find a pattern to why or how it crashes but I haven't been able to figure one out.  Sometimes it will play for less than 10 mp3's before it crashes and other times, it plays for while (an hour and half last night) before it starts to crash.  

Here's the kodi.old.log from the crash I got this morning.  It took about an hour and a half of playing before it crapped out on me.  It looks like it has something to do a reinitialization of the ALSA module.  

Again thanks for any help you can offer!
Well the debug log allows me to make a guess (but that is all it is)....

I don't think it is a player or ALSA issue. That crash was in CGUIInfoManager::SetCurrentSong, and it would be interesting to know if it is always in that kind of place. While working on v18 we found a race condition involving this area of code - something being used  that could cease to exist in the middle of the process. It was an accident waiting to happen, but we didn't think it had actually been experienced until more changes were made. I think it could be that, or similar.

If I am right then it is just bad luck on your part. Of course work on v17 has stopped, and for anyone digging into this the first thing they would want you to do is install a portable copy of a recent v18 nightly and see if that has the same issue. Is that something you can do?
Interesting... I am willing to give it a shot and try a development build if it's something I can get installed in parallel to my "stable" build of 17.6.  If you can point me in the right direction on getting a copy of 18 you'd like me to test, I'll be willing to give it a try.

Thanks!
On Windows such a thing is really easy, but with Linux I have no idea sorry. 

There is this https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...ment_build, but it sounds like you have to build from source. On Ubuntu one can use the nightly ppa which usually gets updated every day, not sure about Gentoo. Other dev team members say that building is "easy", but you still have to avoid running in the default location. But all agree that they are not looking at v17.6 ffmpeg 3.3. issues any more.

I fear I have not been much help. It seems on Linux you are expected to have a higher level of technical competence!
No worries.  Building from source shouldn't be too much of a problem (that's the philosophy of Gentoo; "if it moves, compile it").  So the real question is, where's the site I can download a development build from?  Once I get that, I'll give a crack at it and see if 18 has addressed the issue I am facing currently.

Thanks!
-chris
You're up for it, great.
(2018-05-05, 16:21)verticalrock Wrote: So the real question is, where's the site I can download a development build from? 

That would be the Github repo https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc and you need to clone a repo

get required dependencies
clone git repo
mkdir build
cd build
cmake....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.6 crashes while playing shuffled m3u playlist0