v17 Only stereo audio
My Bedroom PC is connected to a Sony Home Entertainment System (3D Blu-ray player/receiver 5.1 channels), via Optical cable.
The Receiver is connected to the TV via HDMI, and video from the PC is also via HDMI to the receiver.
Trying to get 5.1 audio without using Optical does not work at all, hence I settled on Optical years ago when I set this up.

Using MPC-HD, VLC and Potplayer I get all 5.1 channels. No issues.
In Kodi I only get stereo.

I tried settings from various posts which do not work.
I don't see the settings they describe, unless I set the audio output device to Directsound: HDMI - LG TV.
However, using this setting I get no audio at all, no matter what combination of settings I try, which would make sense since audio is carried over optical and not hdmi

Specifically, the posts I read state the channels must be set to 2.0 and passthrough must be enabled. As I said, those settings are no available to me unless I use the HDMI option.

can someone please suggest how I can get 5.1 audio.

thanks
This issue has been coverd here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2445188 Audio troubleshooting (wiki)
I think your problem is using an Optical cable instead of a HDMI. I had the same issue and once I switch to HDMI from my HTPC to my receiver and HDMI from reciver to TV it worked.
I wish it were so..

I spent many months over the years trying to get PC ---> HDMI ---> Receiver to work. I've never been able to get it to work, and the forums I've posted on (Toms Hardware, VideoHelp, Doom9 and so on), all said the same thing. Optical is the only way.

There is a HDMI cable going from the PC to the TV for video, with the Optical going to the Receiver. I did try it the way you suggested, but got no audio at all.

I have two different receivers and I tried them both. The Sony is an All-In-one Blu-ray/receiver. The other is a Yamaha RX-V571B.

I also tried the ARC HDMI port, which was never going to work, but hey... Have to try every possible combination Smile

I also tried uninstalling the audio drivers, then run HDMI/Unplug the Optical and then reinstall the drivers with that combination. I know, grabbing at straws. Of course it made no difference.

The HDMI cables are HDMI 2.0b. All receivers and TVs are 4K capable. The graphics card in the HTPC is an ASUS GTX 970 Strix 8gb.

Again, outside Kodi, everything works perfectly. Within Kodi... Only stereo.
If you want 5.1 then use WASAPI not Directsound.
Ok, I'll give it a try
First, I think it can be said in general WASAPI to HDMI does work, and optical (SPDIF) is not required.
Also, SPDIF is limited by bandwidth to 2.0 LCPM channels, AC3, or DTS pass through.  Pass through of course requires the audio sink (Sony or Yamaha) to support it.

Kodi debug log shows a lot of info about your audio configuration.  Probably worth uploading a debug log to pastebin.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Only stereo audio0