Solved How to configure dlna (upnp) in Kodi 18?
Hi,
I was using kodi 17.6 on my android box, and lately got some issues. I've installed Kodi 18 and it runs OK. Yet I have one problem - I can't configure dlna (upnp) server. It was perfectly easy in Krypton, for some reason got really complicated in Leia. Can anybody guide me through?
Why are you using DLNA/UPnP to begin with?  That is a last ditch effort, so to speak, in accessing you media. Kodi is meant to access your data directly via SMB, NFS. etc.  The only reason you should be using DLNA/UPnP is if you have no other means by which to access your files.

That being said, have no idea of what you mean by complicated.  You need to be more descriptive about what you're having issues with.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
It's still the same procedure for kodi 18.
maybe you have to adjust your settings level to expert.
Thanks for quick reaction.
@Tinwarble - well, I'm using dlna because I used to do this with my Samsung TV (only possibility then). Then after I bought android-box, I simply sticked to what I already knew. Actually yesterday I connected my drive via NFS and it works fine. If it is really better than dlna I can just stay with it (I'm just a user, no expert).
@skybird1980, @Tinwarble - well, in Krypton I had to go to "videos" -> "files" -> "add videos" -> "browse" -> "upnp devices" and there was my server. Nothing simpler as this. Now in Leia I follow the same way, but under "browse" there's no position "upnp devices". I have tried "add network location" entered IP, protocol and so, but nothing worked.
As I already mentioned, NFS did the job for me, so I'll leave it this way.
Thanks for help.
(2018-05-05, 14:23)brserek Wrote: Thanks for quick reaction.
@Tinwarble - well, I'm using dlna because I used to do this with my Samsung TV (only possibility then). Then after I bought android-box, I simply sticked to what I already knew. Actually yesterday I connected my drive via NFS and it works fine. If it is really better than dlna I can just stay with it (I'm just a user, no expert).

There's no need to be an "expert" and most people that use Kodi aren't, they are just users too. All you need is the ability to read and then head over to the Wiki.

Start with the Quick start guide (wiki) and specific to this topic, Adding video sources (wiki)

The reason that DLNA isn't good for Kodi use is because it does not allow you to create a library, which is the easiest way to manage and access your media.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I think, there is no need for insults. I'm not an expert but I can read, I even understand what I've read, mostly.
Look, I've had a problem so I've googled for solution, found this forum. I've even found and read Wiki you mentioned. Unfortunately, Wiki is no more accurate. At point 2, step 5, I should be able to choose, among other options, "UPnP devices". This option was there until Krypton 17.6, now it's gone. I can't find it at least. Maybe it was moved or changed? So I've asked for help.
If NFS is a better solution, as you say, it's OK, I can give it a try, I did already. At least it works straight from the box.
Actually I have never had a need to create a library. All my movies are a bunch of cartoons recorded from tv that my kids watch over and over again. All files are properly named, placed in respective folders, everything known inside out, so there's no need for searching internet for covers or ratings. But if it is possible, maybe I'll try it next weekend.
Anyway, the question remains the same: How to configure dlna (upnp) in Kodi 18?
(2018-05-05, 21:55)brserek Wrote: I think, there is no need for insults. I'm not an expert but I can read, I even understand what I've read, mostly.

It wasn't meant as a an insult, if it came across that why then I'll apologize.  It was just a statement juxtaposed to being an expert.
Quote:Look, I've had a problem so I've googled for solution, found this forum. I've even found and read Wiki you mentioned. Unfortunately, Wiki is no more accurate. At point 2, step 5, I should be able to choose, among other options, "UPnP devices". This option was there until Krypton 17.6, now it's gone. I can't find it at least. Maybe it was moved or changed? So I've asked for help.

Which is fine that you ask for help. But even in the wiki it states:

UPnP does not work with the library features of Kodi (scanning data in like summaries and movie covers). It is recommended that you share your media using another protocol such as SMB
Quote:If NFS is a better solution, as you say, it's OK, I can give it a try, I did already. At least it works straight from the box.
Actually I have never had a need to create a library. All my movies are a bunch of cartoons recorded from tv that my kids watch over and over again. All files are properly named, placed in respective folders, everything known inside out, so there's no need for searching internet for covers or ratings. But if it is possible, maybe I'll try it next weekend.
Anyway, the question remains the same: How to configure dlna (upnp) in Kodi 18?

And having a library still helps. If they are shows recorded for TV, cartoons or not then you just add them to the TV Show library. As long as their named correctly they will get sorted by Show and Season. See Naming video files/TV shows (wiki)

As for the question about UPnP, I can't answer that. I don't know if it's a bug or we've permanently removed that (because it's literally the worst protocol for how Kodi is meant to be used). But keep in mind, v18 is still in Alpha and shouldn't be considered stable. There are bound to be things that break or features added or removed.
No offence taken.
The real problem is, that reading didn't help, because this change in Kodi is not documented. Leia is an alpha, I understand it. New features and changes are not in Wiki, but this change is not even mentioned in changelog!
Anyway, NFS works fine, and I'll look into a collection-thing.
(2018-05-06, 09:37)brserek Wrote: No offence taken.
but this change is not even mentioned in changelog!

If you're talking about Kodi v18 (Leia) changelog (wiki), as it states the page is incomplete. Plus, Wiki is user maintained and will not get updated regularly (currently it hasn't been updated since March 7), where as changes to v18 happen daily. The only true source of what changes are made with Kodi is by looking on github. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commits/master
(solved)
and for those of us still wishing to use the UPNP option? Is it just that this hasn't been included in Leia yet?
Before i'm advised that it's a last resort, It fits my purposes admirably. (Central PC running Kodi which has already scraped my 900+ artist collection and had the many amendments to the results corrected). I have no desire to rescrape a collection that size (on a sub 2mb broadband collection again) so upnp'ing to an existing instance of Kodi from the other pc's in the house works exceptionally well for me.
I had the same problem.  It's still there but when you install leia, kodi turns it off (pretty crappy to change settings).  Go to settings, services, UPnP/DNLA and turn on the features you need.  Do this to the all your versions of leia running on all boxes.  Then when you go to add videos you'll see the UPnP in there like before.
Many thanks, This has resolved the issue for me.
Thread marked solved.
(2018-10-06, 00:57)BesterH Wrote: I had the same problem.  It's still there but when you install leia, kodi turns it off (pretty crappy to change settings).  Go to settings, services, UPnP/DNLA and turn on the features you need.  Do this to the all your versions of leia running on all boxes.  Then when you go to add videos you'll see the UPnP in there like before.

Thanks for that. I'd totally forgotton I had to enable it in Kodi Krypton. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to configure dlna (upnp) in Kodi 18?0