v17 eac3 to ac3 transcoding, pcm only (WASAPI vs. DIRECTSOUND)
I 'm having a bit of a problem with my Audio Decoder Settings. I 'm not sure if i stumbled over some bug or just some technical problems.
My Setup: Kodi Krypton, Win7, Receiver is an old Sony one, which only can handle dts and ac3, connected via optical TOS Link.

So far, I always had the Audio output device as Directsound, passthrough enabled and Directsound here as well. However i had some small crackling issues, sometimes hardly noteable but still there and somewhat annoying. So I tried to understand the difference between WASAPI and DIRECTSOUND and went for WASAPI as it seemed to be the better choice (which it was so far, crackling was gone, some other minor issues were solved as well)

However, now it gets weird. I have some tv shows, which audio tracks are in eac3. In the past this was no problem, since (as far as i understand) formats which can't be passed through got converted on the fly. (Passthrough Settings are: AC3 capable receiver enabled, Enable DD transcoding disabled, DTS capable receiver enabled, all other formats obviously disabled). This will not work, when WASAPI is selected as Audio output device in Audio Decoder Settings. With WASAPI selected, all i get is uncompressed pcm, which is obviously stereo only.
As soon as i switch to DIRECTSOUND, I will have 5.1 ac3. The audio device selection on Audio Passthrough makes no difference though.

So what am I missing here? Bug? Technical Limitations? Why is eac3 converted on DIRECTSOUND, but not WASAPI? Hope someone can light me up, as right now i don't have any ideas left. I want to keep WASAPI for obvious reasons, but i also don't want to turn on AC3 transcoding every time i have an eac3 audio track.
I feel a bit stupid now Undecided Note to myself, even if you thought you had read all stuff, keep searching.
I was always under the impression, that if i turn on DD transcoding, it will transcode everything, including dts, which obviously i wouldn't have wanted. Turns out, it doesn't. So it seems the solution is indeed keeping dd transcoding always on, right?
Still curious why that is only needed when on WASAPI?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
eac3 to ac3 transcoding, pcm only (WASAPI vs. DIRECTSOUND)0