Req Get Material Design. The actual design it's totally outdated.
Rainbow 
Hi. I recently start to use Kodi instead of Plex. The only thing that don't like about Kodi is the interface. It's like I'm traveling back in the past like 15 years ago.

My request it to redesign completely Kodi with new tools like Material Design and abandon the skins.

And I don't mean just make an skin like material design. I mean make it more profound changes so everything feels more smooth and responsive.

I have no info about it but seems to me that most of the people doesn't use the majority this ugly skins. Observing the new designs of apps in Android TV and Apple TV in the last years Kodi needs to catch the new visual concepts.

Any chance to see something like this in the future?

I leave you some interesting links to more info about material design:

https://material.io/
https://material.io/design/material-them...al-theming

If any one agree with this idea I invite you to post a comment.
(2018-05-11, 20:21)Mrl0 Wrote: The only thing that don't like about Kodi is the interface. It's like I'm traveling back in the past like 15 years ago.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say... There are various skins to choose from the repository.

(2018-05-11, 20:21)Mrl0 Wrote: My request it to redesign completely Kodi with new tools like Material Design and abandon the skins.
Getting a good result starts with using the proper tools. If you feel that your work will benefit from that, go right ahead. If it fits Kodi's current skin engine: even better.

(2018-05-11, 20:21)Mrl0 Wrote: And I don't mean just make an skin like material design. I mean make it more profound changes so everything feels more smooth and responsive.
Kodi software is Open-Source, and available via Github. If you feel that you can contribute, then you are welcome.

(2018-05-11, 20:21)Mrl0 Wrote: I have no info about it but seems to me that most of the people doesn't use the majority this ugly skins
Oh... You have no information as a basis for that opinion, yet you *think* that most people don't like the Kodi skins. That's a pretty bold statement.
Again: Kodi is open-source. If you don't like that it does, and you are so confident in your own capabilities, you can simply fork the source code, and help build, according to you, a much better Kodi.

(2018-05-11, 20:21)Mrl0 Wrote: Observing the new designs of apps in Android TV and Apple TV in the last years Kodi needs to catch the new visual concepts.
We are looking forward to your graphics/code suggestions via Github PR's. Smile
(2018-05-11, 22:01)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-05-11, 20:21)Mrl0 Wrote: The only thing that don't like about Kodi is the interface. It's like I'm traveling back in the past like 15 years ago.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say... There are various skins to choose from the repository.

(2018-05-11, 20:21)Mrl0 Wrote: My request it to redesign completely Kodi with new tools like Material Design and abandon the skins.
Getting a good result starts with using the proper tools. If you feel that your work will benefit from that, go right ahead. If it fits Kodi's current skin engine: even better.

(2018-05-11, 20:21)Mrl0 Wrote: And I don't mean just make an skin like material design. I mean make it more profound changes so everything feels more smooth and responsive.
Kodi software is Open-Source, and available via Github. If you feel that you can contribute, then you are welcome.

(2018-05-11, 20:21)Mrl0 Wrote: I have no info about it but seems to me that most of the people doesn't use the majority this ugly skins
Oh... You have no information as a basis for that opinion, yet you *think* that most people don't like the Kodi skins. That's a pretty bold statement.
Again: Kodi is open-source. If you don't like that it does, and you are so confident in your own capabilities, you can simply fork the source code, and help build, according to you, a much better Kodi.

(2018-05-11, 20:21)Mrl0 Wrote: Observing the new designs of apps in Android TV and Apple TV in the last years Kodi needs to catch the new visual concepts.
We are looking forward to your graphics/code suggestions via Github PR's. Smile

I'm not a coder.. It's just an idea. I didn't say the people don't like the skins. I just "suggesting" that the most of people use the default skin. But maybe you know more information about this matter. Maybe I could have used the word guess. I'm not natural English speaker. Don't take it so hard is just a feature request it's ok to have all sorts of ideas.
(2018-05-12, 01:30)Mrl0 Wrote: Don't take it so hard is just a feature request it's ok to have all sorts of ideas.
Having all sorts of ideas is good. But starting your opening post with "It's like I'm traveling back in the past like 15 years ago" and mentioning "this ugly skins" is not the most-friendly approach, since Estuary was only designed a few years ago, and had some serious testing. Kodi/XBMC has been around for quite a while, and now with tens of millions of Kodi users, I don't think we got it that wrong. If the latest design was that bad, we would have had so many more complaints.

Your design examples reflect today's HTML websites, and Kodi is not a website. Kodi is also not designed to be controlled by a mouse (pointer). It is to be your "10 foot user interface" with which people should be able to manage their multimedia collection with a TV remote, which typically uses cursor, OK and Back buttons. Mouse support is secondary. Some Kodi skins do not even have mouse support at all.

So, "ordering us" to make "better" skins, is not a good approach. For now, it just seems you simply do not like how Kodi looks. It happens. We cannot please everyone. To me, the user interface is not that important. To me it's important that all videos and music are played correctly and without any faults: Functionality before vanity, I guess.

FYI, I'm not a native English speaker either. Smile

PS: Abandoning the skins as you suggested will not happen, as there is no "One skin for all". All Kodi skins have their own approach in looks and functionality. It would be foolish to deny so many users the use of their own Kodi skin, and force the default Estuary skin on them. That part is also open-source: you can change it if you don't like it.
I mean "the majority of the skins are ugly" not all. In fact Estuary the only skin I like, compared to the other ones and is very fuctional.

I'm not "ordering" anything and I'm not saying that you "got it that wrong" may be I was a little bit negative in my opinion but I have no intension to offend you. I just try to do a constructive critic but maybe I choose the wrong words. Sorry of any one got offended.

But this doesn't change the fact that the interface is not looking good compered to Plex, Netflix, etc
(2018-05-12, 11:08)Mrl0 Wrote: I mean "the majority of the skins are ugly" not all. In fact Estuary the only skin I like, compared to the other ones and is very fuctional.

And you probably don't know that there are tons of skins that don't even show up in our repository because they are Works in Progress: https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Estuary is the official kodi skin. The other skins are contributed by volunteers, e.g. our community. 

I have a different opinion towards your last sentence, so in a democracy it would be 1:1 now - and the good with something like that: everyone can contribute (skinners don't have to be coders).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@Mrl0 The reality here is that volunteers only work on what interests them. If there isn't a skin/interface developer who feels that this is important, it won't get done, it really is that simple. If you feel strongly, but you can't code, maybe offer up some "templates" or "mockups" of how you think it would look, and that might get some interest?

As an aside, a quick Google suggests that there has been some thought on this previously, so perhaps you can poke one of those to see if it meets your needs or could be resurrected and modified?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289449

https://kodi.tv/addon/skins/unity

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...light=plex
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
It would help if you gave specific example where you believe improvements can be made, such generalised statements are of no help to anyone in understanding your point.
I have a sony TV that is running android TV and I'm not sure Material Design is so much better than other design methodologies out there.  I don't know what it would take to create a skin that mimics android.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Get Material Design. The actual design it's totally outdated.0