Solved Cant reach Network Drives in Kodi - but works fine in WIndows Desktop
Hi Community,

i completele deleted and reinstalled Kodi. (Windows wasnt touched)

Now i cant find my Network Drives in Kodi.
Neither under the SMB Option (All drives are on Windows PCs) nor under a user defined Source can i acces the Drives.

Before the Re-Install, this was never an Issue. And in Windows Desktop i can reach them without a problem.

I dont even have an Idea where to start, solving this Problem...

Any Ideas would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
(2018-05-11, 20:44)Commotio Wrote: I dont even have an Idea where to start, solving this Problem...
Start with verifying which Samba version is active on your Windows PC systems.
SMBv2 works a little different from SMBv1.
SMBv2 requires full credentials: username AND password. Also, network browsing is no longer supported.
Some additional info might help.  When you write "access the drives" do you mean that you have mapped a shared folder to a local drive letter in windows?  Or just finding the shared folder itself?

If you are adding a network location in Kodi, are you using a device name or IP address for the SMB server you want to reach?  Is the server running windows or some other OS, for example a Linux variant with Samba?

scott s.
The Drives i want to acces are on a Win 7 (Home Premium) PC.

The Kodi PC is also running on Win 7 (Home Premium).
On the Kodi PC i have the network shares mapped to drive letters.
Under Windows i can reach all network PCs and also ofc the mapped drives without any Issues.

But in Kodi i can not acces any network drive or PC.
I tried using the SMB option and the option to add a new drive "manually" in Kodis Filemanager. Here i tried with IP and Network Name of the PCs. Both didnt work.
Unfortunately my knowledge of SMB is pretty thin and I have had trouble troubleshooting it on my own systems.  The only thing I can think is to turn on curl component logging in Kodi and see if anything pops up in debug log.

scott s.
The Solution was pretty easy in the end, yet a little strange for my taste.

When i added the Share name to the IP address in the kodi file manager -> add new source i could access the drives.

As far as i remember this wasnt nessecary the last time i installed it. But well, now it works.
If this was an obvoius noob mistake, shame on me Smile
Thread marked solved.
(2018-05-17, 09:55)Commotio Wrote: The Solution was pretty easy in the end, yet a little strange for my taste.

When i added the Share name to the IP address in the kodi file manager -> add new source i could access the drives.

As far as i remember this wasnt nessecary the last time i installed it. But well, now it works.
If this was an obvoius noob mistake, shame on me Smile

I guess there are a couple of aspects to SMB.  First is the "name resolution" that converts the name you give an SMB device to an IP address.  Then there's querying the device to get a list of the resources available (i.e., shared folders and printers).  The function that lists and allows you to read/write the contents of the shared resource is a separate function (and typically requires some credentials).  Adding a "network location" in Kodi should allow you to bypass the first two and jump right to the third.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cant reach Network Drives in Kodi - but works fine in WIndows Desktop0