v18 RFC: Extended artwork type naming
Thanks for clearifying, did miss that there already is a setoverview / synopsis (Plot) for Movie sets. Did have to thake a look, and see if i can manage to display it.

-
Would quickly like to come back to the discart-question for double albums again: (quess belongs to @DaveBlake )
Wouldnt it make sense to name the discArt for the second CD (/Disk) discart-disc2.ext (doube Album) rather than discArt2.ext, just to make shure its not recognised as a second discArt for the same album/disc, like fanart2 is a second Fanart for the same Artist/Movie? Just to make a difference to Fanart1, Fanart2, and so on.. there.

EDIT:
Or Disc2Art.ext

EDIT2:
What im asking myself right now is how to display Extrafanart in a loop without an Extrafanart Folder?
xml:

<control type="multiimage">
            <include>FullscreenDimensions</include>
            <include>VisibleFadeAnimation</include>
            <imagepath background="true">$INFO[ListItem.Path]/extrafanart</imagepath>
            <aspectratio>scale</aspectratio>
            <timeperimage>10000</timeperimage>
            <randomize>true</randomize>
            <fadetime>700</fadetime>
            <visible>Skin.HasSetting(ExtraFanart)</visible>
        </control>
Maybe already answerd, nd i just didnt finde it.

(doesnt use this myself (did once, back in the days), but may there (still) skins around who does.) -> means i personaly doesnt care, just wrap my head around it.
@Rantanplan-1

Most skins display the movie set overview- Transparency!, Rapier, Estuary and Estuary Mod to name a few in both v17 and v18. Not all viewtypes display it though, so you will need to scroll through all the different viewtypes until you find one that displays the overview.

Discussion on overview is here, which includes discussion on movieset artwork... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=325413
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
There is an additional art type "keyart" we may want to add. It's a textless 'poster', useful as a separate item in a skinner's toolbox as it can be paired with a clearlogo or large text title elsewhere on the window, and without text it is less distracting in the background or half-obscured (like fanart with a different aspect ratio). Aeon 2 suggests the name "keyart" which works for me. Web services Fanart.TV and TheMovieDB have a slot for these as poster images without a language for movies, movie sets, and TV shows. I don't think there are any tools that support them as a separate art type, but Artwork Beef will soon.

@Rantanplan-1 Skins can display extra fanart with the strategy described in the Artwork Beef documentation. Less clunky options may come in the future, but I do think the benefits outweigh the awkwardness.
@rmrector I have added keyart to the tables

For the Music Library artwork, I have also added folder as accepted naming for Artist and Album images. As Kodi exports these images as Folder, it makes sense to make this the default name.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@Karellen

For the sake of completeness of the tables I think it’s safe to assume that the best options for names of back and spine of music albums are just those: back and spine, provided there’s no one who disagrees for a valid reason of course...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
Sounds good to me. It is the logical choice but I did not want to presume everybody agreed with it. I'll update the table.

I am starting to think most people don't really care about the names, as long as we offer them the accepted table, they will work with whatever names are in that table.

Does anybody disagree with discart?

Does anybody disagree with landscape?
My Signature
Don't forget those users that don't have there movies in separate folders, if they for some reason export the library they get all artwork named like filename.arttype.ext
Shall both naming conventions be supported as it is for posters and fanart?
(2018-05-21, 00:36)Karellen Wrote: @rmrector I have added keyart to the tables

For the Music Library artwork, I have also added folder as accepted naming for Artist and Album images. As Kodi exports these images as Folder, it makes sense to make this the default name.
 The art type is still "thumb" (and must be at the moment, this is hardcoded in many places in Kodi core), this is just the one case where the file name can be different than the art type - folder.jpg is used in many applications so it must be supported to some extent.

@T-bird_se That is not changing, files can be named as such for all art types.
Phuu, there are so many different opinions about file naming... Big Grin
First: Excuse my not very perfect English. But I hope you understand me anyway.

I've many points to say about file naming. Some points are already sayed, some totally overlooked.

Point 1: ArtworkDownloaders file naming
Please forget the file names that AD has used. I've never understand why they was different from the names in the database (logo.png = clearlogo).

Point 2: Kodi database export and file naming
If you export your existing library in Kodi to single file(s) than Kodi always use the image "type" from the "art" table as suffix behind the file name, e.g. "Avatar-clearlogo.png". That should be the default and preferred file naming for images!
The reason is that only this scheme works with movies that are stored in a movie folder AND also if a user has multiple movies in a single folder. That's one of the reasons why AD never worked for users with multiple movies folders.
Also important is that Kodi use stacked file names for images and trailers since Kodi "Frodo". That means:

Code:
X:\Movies\Avatar\Avatar-CD1.mkv
X:\Movies\Avatar\Avatar-CD2.mkv
X:\Movies\Avatar\Avatar-poster.jpg

Code:
X:\Movies\Avatar.Disc1.bluray.mkv
X:\Movies\Avatar.Disc2.bluray.mkv
X:\Movies\Avatar.bluray-poster.mkv
X:\Movies\Die.Hard.Disc1.bluray.mkv
X:\Movies\Die.Hard.Disc2.bluray.mkv
X:\Movies\Die.Hard.bluray-poster.mkv

So "<stackedfilename>-imagetype.ext" is the only way that works in ANY case. IMHO this also settle the discussion about "logo.png" and "clearlogo.png"... the second one is the rigth one because ALL have this "type" name stored in the database (AD users as well)!
All other file names like "imagetype.ext", "folder.jpg" and so on can be keeped as fallback for users that what that.

The only exception whas the handling for VIDEO_TS and BDMV folder structures: in this case only the image type without <stackedfilename> has been used and the images has been saved into the "main" folder, e.g.:

Code:
X:\Movies\Avatar\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
X:\Movies\Avatar\poster.jpg

Code:
X:\Movies\Avatar\VIDEO_TS.IFO

Code:
X:\Movies\Avatar\BDMV\STREAM\index.bdmv

That's acceptable since BDMV and VIDEO_TS has to be saved in a separate folder anyway. The only crappy thing about this two (or three with VIDEO_TS without a VIDEO_TS folder) is that the trailer, .actors, extrathumbs and extrafanarts folder will be saved/exported into the video file holding folder (\VIDEO_TS and \STREAM). I think that has also to be fixed to prevent the DVD and Bluray folder/data structure. They are video players that can't handle/play that folders with all the crap inside.

Point 3: Subfolders for Extrafanarts and Extrathumbs
There are many reasons to keep the existing subfolder idea, also the possibility to save Extrafanarts as "8NasfCr1bVIvRGhghBePRAWQ5LI.jpg" and Extrathumbs as "thumb#.jpg":
  • Many users downloads all or many fanarts as Extrafanarts. It's horrible to have all this images belond the video file
  • Extrathumbs should be "screenshots" of a movie that shows scene from the movie. In this case it's usefull that we can number it to show them in the correct sequence/timeline. Also I don't know if there is any skin that shows more than 4 images as preview belond the plot.
  • Extrafanarts should be "synthetic" images (photoshoped and not scenes from the movie) and are displayed randomly as replacement for the normal fanart. So it's not important to have it numbered. Another major advantage is that we (or I in Ember Media Manager) can save it with the same file name that the provider like Fanart.tv/TMDB has it saved on the server. So on a re-scrape we are able to check if the image is already existing and can prevent to save the same image as "extrafanart1" and "extrafanart4".

Point 4: TV show images
Same issue because of AD. "charater.png" as file name and "characterart" as database image "type". IMO "imagetype.ext" is the correct one and Kodi already export all the extra images with the "type" as file name.
The season images should be "padded" to two numbers, otherwise the Explorer sort it like:
Code:
season1-poster.jpg
season10-poster.jpg
season2-poster.jpg

I think there are no tv shows with more than 99 seasons (or only a hand full... some japanese anime tv show for shure Big Grin )

Point 5: Movieset images
It's not a problem for an addon like MSAA to check the parent folder of a movie folder for movie set images. But it's a crapp for a media manager to check if the movie folder is inside a movieset folder. Also not all users want to save the movies inside another subfolder or have multiple sources and one of the movie is saved in one source and another movie of the same collection is saved in another source. So for me it was the easiest way to save all movieset images inside a common folder, named with the same scheme like I used for the movies: <moviesetname>-imagetype.ext, e.g.
Code:
X:\Moviesetimages\Die Hard Collection-poster.jpg
X:\Moviesetimages\Die Hard Collection-clearlogo.png

I mean it will be possible to add a "saved it in the parent folder of movie folder" and also add a check that the parent folder has the same name like the movieset, but we also need a fallback for users that want or can't use a movieset folder.

Conclusion:
  • "<stackedfilename>-imagetype.ext" is the only solution that works in any case
  • as "imagetype" whe have to use the same name that's used in the database, otherwise we get multiple images after a database export from Kodi

I've made a list of all different file names that EmberMM, AD and MSAA used and what Kodi uses as export: Link
As you can see, my one is the only one that uses the same file names like Kodi :-P

The "correct" image type names are:
  • banner
  • characterart
  • clearart
  • clearlogo
  • discart
  • .\extrafanarts\random.ext
  • .\extrathumbs\thumb#.ext
  • fanart
  • landscape
  • poster
  • thumb (as episode poster)

Some other remarks:
I asked Fanart.tv and (maybe) also TMDB to add another "flag" to fanarts/backgrounds that we can unterscheiden between "scene" and "synthetic" fanarts to get a better result for Extrathumbs. Maybe someday we will get a perfect result.
@Rantanplan-1 for some reason forum just notified me of your post, sorry for late response.

(2018-05-19, 00:36)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: Would quickly like to come back to the discart-question for double albums again: (quess belongs to @DaveBlake )
Wouldnt it make sense to name the discArt for the second CD (/Disk) discart-disc2.ext (doube Album) rather than discArt2.ext, just to make shure its not recognised as a second discArt for the same album/disc, like fanart2 is a second Fanart for the same Artist/Movie? Just to make a difference to Fanart1, Fanart2, and so on.. there.

EDIT:
Or Disc2Art.ext
I have been silent generally because I really don't mind how things are named, but I do believe that we should be consistent and stick to some basic principles:
a) that the image file name (without ext)  and the art type should match
b) that multiples are supported by adding a number at the end of that name

What I want to avoid is having to map name to type, it is a unnecessary complexity.

So sorry no, Disc2Art.ext for a 2nd disc does not make sense to me. If others agree that thay want a type of art called "discart-disc" then you can of course have discart-disc2.ext for the second of those.

But I recognise that skinner could benefit from having a way to get at mulpile art, it is a GUI interface thing that needs adding. Meanwhile I think there are loop workarounds which can be used.
Easy, I guess you may get notified beacause of new activety in this Tread -> DanCoopers Post. (dont knew why not at the time back it was written. Dont worry, nd thnks for replay aniway)

Cheers
Some good points, Dan (and one or two "Ohh foo I did that wrong"). I'm a bit embarrassed to say I didn't see this advantage of the "extrafanart" directory earlier:
(2018-06-14, 20:00)DanCooper Wrote: Another major advantage is that we (or I in Ember Media Manager) can save it with the same file name that the provider like Fanart.tv/TMDB has it saved on the server. So on a re-scrape we are able to check if the image is already existing and can prevent to save the same image as "extrafanart1" and "extrafanart4".

However, multiple fanart and thumbs (and any other art types someone cares to have multiple of) should be added to the library just like all other artwork for skins and other interfaces to access, and naming them "fanart#" fits into the existing Kodi artwork setup and works well enough. Kodi will then export those to "<moviename>-fanart#.jpg", and I don't know if Kodi core should also import from an "extrafanart" directory itself. I think that we could work toward the possibility of a scraper / "Information provider" that can access local files as a better place for all those extra knobs, and until then making changes with JSON-RPC still works.
Oh I missed this also, I've been itching to change theaudiodb names for a while to get standards so if everyone is happy with the music types I will change TADB to support them. Especially landscape which I guessed would be WideThumb but was never happy about that choice. Landscape seems much better to me.

Are the tables posted by @Karellen final and agreed by everyone yet?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RFC: Extended artwork type naming0