How many audio channels should I use?
Hello. Haven't found anything on this specific question.

Running HDMI from RPi to TV (Insignia 55") and SPDIF from TV to an older Sony receiver. For now, I have a "3.1" system, R,L,C,Sub, but haven't hooked up any surround L or R speakers.

The sound is fine, perhaps a little inconsistent, which I tack up to encoding (Kodi really needs DRC, but that's another subject).

I understand SPDIF is limited to 2 channels, and I've tried various configurations: HDMI, ALSA, 2 channels, 3.1, 5.1, upmix, downmix, all the various tweaks.

I'm not asking anything specific, per se, just wondering if anybody has any input on the basics, because there are always varying levels, loud scenes, quiet dialog, loud dialog, house rattling explosions, etc, etc. The only thing that doesn't work, is mono, which I have to fiddle around to get working. On the receiver end, I fiddle with various encoding settings, switching from stereo, prologic, prologic II, Neo 6...and usually keep it on neo which is a proprietary Sony decoder, and it sounds alright, but I can't tweak anything other than press a button...and it seems like "cheating"

So I wanted to start with anything obvious I'm overlooking, like if I should even bother with anything other than 2 channels (TV passes audio signal using RAW, not PCM). I do not use passthrough because that always gets startlingly loud, and making any adjustments requires me to get up, schlep across the room, and expend a huge amount of energy pressing buttons on the receiver, and I just don't have time for that. Kudos to our grandparents for winning WWI, that would be too much work for me.

Thanks!

[I'm kidding about the laziness crap]
I do have a Chinese Clone of the HiFi Berry. This is a Sound Card with SPDif. Works fine for me.
The Problem of the most TV´s is that the Audio Signal from HDMI-In hoes not fully to SPDif-Out. so 5.1 dts in and stereo out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How many audio channels should I use?0