Linux ALL UBUNTU 16.04 based systems MUST do this for Kodi 17.x - Linux Mint too
the following should be considered a NECESSARY install for kodi 17x on any Ubuntu 16.04 or 16.04 based system such as Linux Mint. In my opinion this post should be made into a sticky or pinned.

This will save you numerous headaches , problems and may even solve a mystery or two.

Symptoms may include: 
Slow operation
High CPU Usage
Crashing GUI when loading favourites (confluence)
Hard disk fiilling up from Log files
Unable to install, upgrade or remove addons
solw or failing connections ehen downloading or connecting to servers.
strange addon behaviour

32 Bit
Code:
wget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-cryptography/1.7.1-2/+build/11756123/+files/python-cryptography_1.7.1-2_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i python-cryptography_1.7.1-2_i386.deb

64 bit
Code:
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/299484105/python-cryptography_1.7.1-2_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i python-cryptography_1.7.1-2_amd64.deb

ALL systems, 32 and 64 bit
Code:
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/292839640/python-openssl_16.2.0-1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i python-openssl_16.2.0-1_all.deb
sudo apt-get -f install

Mark
Ubuntu does not care: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...omments/30 - I'd say upgrade to 18.04 instead.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Do you buy a new car when the front end  on your existing car needs repaired?

I know I do not wannt to rebuild systems unecessarily.
Recommending people install packages for a linux distro from randomwebsite.com isn't entirely a good idea. A proper backport should be done of the software. That being said, I've been running 16.04 since it came out with Kodi and a fair few addons, haven't had a single issue that wasn't of my own making and or lack of knowledge. I'm curious what addons you are using? I have a few python notifications in the log but none of the symptons described in your other thread. Nothing even close rather. My boxes run for a month or longer between reboots usually.
(2018-05-16, 15:02)jmgibson1981 Wrote: Recommending people install packages for a linux distro from randomwebsite.com isn't entirely a good idea. A proper backport should be done of the software. That being said, I've been running 16.04 since it came out with Kodi and a fair few addons, haven't had a single issue that wasn't of my own making and or lack of knowledge. I'm curious what addons you are using? I have a few python notifications in the log but none of the symptons described in your other thread. Nothing even close rather. My boxes run for a month or longer between reboots usually.
 BOTH domains are OFFICIAL Ubuntu sites! It is NOT "some random site" . Those are official ubuntu sites, with official Ubuntu packages.

It seems to me that it is YOU suffering from the "lack of knowledge" that you are so quick to elude to.  

This is a KNOWN BUG , so educate YOURSELF and do not imply that I have the obligation to educate YOU.

Mark

The difference between intellgence and stupidity is that stupidity is limitless.
Albert Einstein
(2018-05-17, 02:57)tekno Wrote: It seems to me that it is YOU suffering from the "lack of knowledge" that you are so quick to elude to.  
This is a KNOWN BUG , so educate YOURSELF and do not imply that I have the obligation to educate YOU.
The word "MUST" in your topic title is a bit on the strong side. I have various Ubuntu setups myself, and only some have a bug where some log file can fill up the entire Ubuntu home partition because of it. So, 'YMMV' as they say.

Also, telling people what to do like that and imposing your view on others like that is not the preferred way. We will not be having a pissing contest here. Someone like Einstein would have agreed to that, or is that typo in your signature on purpose? I'm not that familiar with all of Einstein's quotes.
i eluded to my own lack of knowledge, not yours. That being said your attitude to people attempting to help you really doesn't add up. I was making a ppa for you and whoever so they can get the packages properly instead of using wget but I'll leave it to your expert hands. Sorry for trying to help you. I won't waste my time next time.
(2018-05-17, 15:26)jmgibson1981 Wrote: i eluded to my own lack of knowledge, not yours. That being said your attitude to people attempting to help you really doesn't add up. I was making a ppa for you and whoever so they can get the packages properly instead of using wget but I'll leave it to your expert hands. Sorry for trying to help you. I won't waste my time next time.
 I apologize, I read your post quickly and misread.

I will say however that the sites referenced are "official" ubuntu sources.

I did not post this seeking any help. I offered it as help to someone who may have similar issues. I do fail to understand what help you offered.
(2018-05-17, 08:03)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-05-17, 02:57)tekno Wrote: It seems to me that it is YOU suffering from the "lack of knowledge" that you are so quick to elude to.  
The word "MUST" in your topic title is a bit on the strong side. I have various Ubuntu setups myself, and only some have a bug where some log file can fill up the entire Ubuntu home partition because of it. So, 'YMMV' as they say.

Also, telling people what to do like that and imposing your view on others like that is not the preferred way. We will not be having a pissing contest here. Someone like Einstein would have agreed to that, or is that typo in your signature on purpose? I'm not that familiar with all of Einstein's quotes.  
 My words are strong but I can tell you this...
After applying this to multiple kodi systems, all running ubuntu 16.04 it has resolved numerous oddities with systems . Some systems would freeze on playing favourites with confluence skin. Of course if you do not use favourites you would not notice it. 

Of course if you have the experience with the problem you darn well know you needed to find a fix as I did . 

Maybe next time I will not share . seems like coming to this forum is always a mistake 

If you do not believe you MUST, then do not believe it nor do it. it is your choice. When your system starts crashing or freezing you will change your mind.
this issue and solution is all over this forum already, so you didn't provide any new insight.
(2018-05-18, 08:49)tekno Wrote: If you do not believe you MUST, then do not believe it nor do it. it is your choice. When your system starts crashing or freezing you will change your mind.
There is a difference between SUGGESTING people what to do, and ORDERING people what to do. Your tone of voice went to the latter option too strong.

As previously stated, I only had problems on some of my setups, not all of them. Yes, I also found a solution, on our own forum no less. A somewhat different solution than you are now advertising. I'm not saying your solution doesn't work, I'm sure it does. But there can be more ways than one to solve a problem.

(2018-05-18, 08:49)tekno Wrote: Maybe next time I will not share . seems like coming to this forum is always a mistake
Hrm, okay... That would imply that 266 mistakes were made already. Undecided
But unlike Hotel California, you can check into this forum anytime you like AND you can always leave whenever you want.
What was the alternative solution?  Seems like it'd be good to post so people could have another option if they wanted one, no? (=
Simply search for the word "cryptography" at the linux support subforum and you will get a lot of threads which are also solving this problem Wink

For example:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...yptography
Thats great if you understand that is the cause of your problems
(2018-05-18, 09:53)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-05-18, 08:49)tekno Wrote: If you do not believe you MUST, then do not believe it nor do it. it is your choice. When your system starts crashing or freezing you will change your mind.
There is a difference between SUGGESTING people what to do, and ORDERING people what to do. Your tone of voice went to the latter option too strong.

As previously stated, I only had problems on some of my setups, not all of them. Yes, I also found a solution, on our own forum no less. A somewhat different solution than you are now advertising. I'm not saying your solution doesn't work, I'm sure it does. But there can be more ways than one to solve a problem.
(2018-05-18, 08:49)tekno Wrote: Maybe next time I will not share . seems like coming to this forum is always a mistake
Hrm, okay... That would imply that 266 mistakes were made already. Undecided
But unlike Hotel California, you can check into this forum anytime you like AND you can always leave whenever you want. 
 and unlike hotel California, advice you are free to take or leave. You do not like my advice LEAVE IT. I do not care iof you are "GOD" on these forums. The advice is sound but take it or leave it . 

I assume you have no life other than here

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ALL UBUNTU 16.04 based systems MUST do this for Kodi 17.x - Linux Mint too0