One remote to rule them all
I've build a HTPC for my sister and I'm trying to get the experience to be as pleasant as possible.  So I want to use one remote that will turn on/off the TV and HTPC.
The HTPC is a windows 10 home edition.

I have bought a flirc and also the Febite Mx3 pro.  Can these be configured to do the following
Switch off the  TV and put pc into standby mode (default mode for power off)
Switch on the TV and wake up HTPC from standby
Stop the HTPC from recoding to buffer the statin that was being watched when the Off command was sent.

I use a harmony remote on my own HTPC and on turn off I also send a "Stop" command to Kodi.  This jumps out Kodi out of watching live tv and brings up the TV Guide which prevents tv buffering recording.

I've looked at the CEC from Pulse Eight i.e. usb to HDMI CEC but will this prevent Kodi from recording the tv channel that was on when the pc was switched off ?
The TV in question is old so i'm not sure it supports CEC.
What are my options other than a Logitech remote would I have.   Is it cheaper to get a Logitech remote instead ?
CEC always seems very hit and miss to me and tends to require care and feeding.  I have a Harmony 650, and for $80 it's hard to see how it's worth lots of your time to save even $40 on a cheaper remote. The 650 has basically been set it and forget it for me.  The only thing I don't like is that you get zero warning for the batteries dying.  I finally got some rechargeable ones and just change them every couple of weeks.
As far as CEC goes, we (CTA) are trying to fix this problem with manufacturers.

I personally use the DirectTV remotes with Flircs. They work great and my wife did not have to relearn the keys.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
One remote to rule them all0