Ideas for a large collection of albums
Morning all,

Time for a question from me, just looking for ideas really.

I have a large collection "Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of all time" of albums that I want to organize nicely in Kodi.

How would you tag and arrange them in Kodi? I have a few ideas already but was interested in your thoughts.
(2018-05-22, 09:44)docwra Wrote: Morning all,

Time for a question from me, just looking for ideas really.

I have a large collection "Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of all time" of albums that I want to organize nicely in Kodi.

How would you tag and arrange them in Kodi? I have a few ideas already but was interested in your thoughts.
 @docwra,

As I understand it, each one of those albums is by a different artist, and most, if not all, are by a single artist.  I would imagine that you want to keep the collection together, knowing which is album #1 vs which is album #500.  If this is true, the way I would do it in my collection is as follows:

1. I would name each album "Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums - Disc <Disc #> - <Album Name>
2. I would use "(Multiple Artists)" as the album artist for each album (this is the artist I have in my collection for all of my compilation albums).
3. I would tag each track on each album with the artist (or artists) that perform on that track.
4. I think that the last time Rolling Stone updated that collection was in 2012, so I would tag each album with "2012" for Year and the year the album was actually published for "Release", or vice versa, depending on how you usually do it in your collection.

Regards,

Bart
My suggestion, based on what I do for Compilation albums (Billboards Top 100 for year XXXX).

Since you are using Albums, and you want them separate from your normal Albums...

1. Tag each Album using MusicBrainz Picard (to get all the correct Artists, Genre's etc for the Album).
2. In MusicBrainz Picard, change the Album Artists Tag to "Various Artists" or "Compilation".
3. Still in MusicBrainz Picard Change the Name of the Album to "Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums - Disc <Disc #> - <Album Name>"
4. Finally, if there is a different Cover (Poster, Folder, or whatever you call it), add that to the Album as well in MusicBrainz Picard.
5. Place your complete set of Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums, in a folder under Various Artists. Be sure to include any Fanart.jpg, Folder.jpg (Posters), Logo's etc for the Compliation.
6. Then when you scan it into Kodi, it should show up under Various Artists (yet you could still find these Albums separately using a search for Genre, or Artist).
Oh, and maybe @DaveBlake could add another new feature to Music, similar to Movies, called Sets. Which is exactly what you are describing, but just for Music.
There's already an idea about supporting boxed sets.  Part of that idea would be that individual media in the box set would have an optional name (otherwise, disc 1, disc 2, etc default).  So extending that to a "virtual" boxed set should be doable I would think.

scott s.
"Ideas for a large collection of albums...."

I think the new feature I am currently working on will cover this nicely Smile

Not changing tags, and no not using (abusing??) disc sets, because a music disc set is all about a single release with parts, while what Zag wants is more of a generic collection facility for multiple separate releases.

What I am hoping to get in Leia is the ability to filter (create custom nodes, smartplaylists, or use the filter on sideblade) based on music source. Users find it much easier to put music in a folder than edit tags or NFO files, and now that artist art is liberated from having to keep music unique artist folders (containing all the music by that artist and only that artist) there is no reason not to arrange albums phyisically in a folder hierarchy that matches the users use.

Source filtering is a little like making a path rule for smartplaylists, but much more simple.  So create a music source that points to all the folders containing the collection - maybe put all the top 500 albums in a folder together (or multiple subfolders beneath a common folder for the collection), or create a multipath source, name it suitably e.g. "Top 500", and then that will be an album filter choice.

In fact, if I can get the necessary GUI changes done, I also want to add an overall music lib filter capability such that picking a source filter then applies to all the nodes - artist, albums, songs, genres, years, other smartplaylists etc., but you won't need that for "Top 500". The db side is joyous to do, but the GUI (a new control on side blade bringing new dialog) is a pain, so if anyone would like to help with that that would be great.

Sound cool? Just a little hint at what I am working on so it may be confusing, but that is why I am quieter than usual on the forum.
Movie sets have the ability with help of addons to provide collection art and descriptions that skins display.  It's supported with boolean ListItem.IsCollection and Container.Content(sets) and infolabels ListItem.Set and ListItem.SetID.

scott s.
That's sounds just about perfect Dave! My initial idea was to filter by path node, which sounds pretty similar but much nicer especially if you can get it working in the GUI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ideas for a large collection of albums0