Cant Connect to Media Portal
My computers finally also upgraded to Windows 10 build 1803 and so far everything is still working fine. Tested with both Mediaportal 1.20 and MediaPortal 2.1 single seat and over the network.
For people that do encounter connection problems with the latest Windows 10 build, check also the MediaPortal TV Server log and make sure that the plugin itself is running.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
I had another look at this, and tried various things, including turning off IPv6 in the network card settings. Doesn't help.

I then checked my MediaPortal plugin settings, and I had the server name rather than IP address. I changed it to the IP address and all problems have gone. Kodi connects immediately. When I browse the network on the client computer, I don't see the TV server, but if I type the server name into the bar, it finds it immediately, so it isn't a fundamental problem with name resolution on the network, but still worth reporting.

I wonder if there is a setting, after update, relating to the client computer 'seeing' other networked computers.
In my case, the Mediaportal TV client plugin in Kodi was already set to use the IP adress of the TV Server, and of course both TV server service and client plugin was running... but it still doesn't work since the last major update of Windows 10.
April Update smells like a smb problem, no idea which protoclol the server use to connect to the clients, but u guies could try to enable SMB1 in Windows 10. (even if its unsecure as much as i read, but if its the only solution ..)
(2018-08-29, 17:34)JeePeCe Wrote: In my case, the Mediaportal TV client plugin in Kodi was already set to use the IP adress of the TV Server, and of course both TV server service and client plugin was running... but it still doesn't work since the last major update of Windows 10.
 Can the MediaPortal program itself connect to the TV server from the client? Or is this just a Kodi problem?
No, even MediaPortal program itself can't access to the TV Server : it scans the LAN but doesn't detect the TV Server.
(2018-08-29, 20:33)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: April Update smells like a smb problem, no idea which protoclol the server use to connect to the clients, but u guies could try to enable SMB1 in Windows 10. (even if its unsecure as much as i read, but if its the only solution ..)
 Of course, I already reactivated SMB 1.0 protocol few months ago, both on TV Server and Kodi client Windows machines, but it didn't solve the problem.
Does your TV server have a fixed IP address?

I found that putting the IP address of the computer in the MediaPortal client settings fixed MediaPortal itself being able to connect. I didn't do anything at all with SMB settings.

I did disable IPv6, but I don't know if that made a difference. I don't think I need it, so I'm not going to mess about with it.

Right now, everything works perfectly for me.

It's strange. The client computer can find the TV server on my network by name, but Kodi and MediaPortal seem not to be able to (or it takes a very long time).
(2018-08-31, 10:17)mcelliott Wrote: Does your TV server have a fixed IP address?

I found that putting the IP address of the computer in the MediaPortal client settings fixed MediaPortal itself being able to connect. I didn't do anything at all with SMB settings.

I did disable IPv6, but I don't know if that made a difference. I don't think I need it, so I'm not going to mess about with it.

It's strange. The client computer can find the TV server on my network by name, but Kodi and MediaPortal seem not to be able to (or it takes a very long time).
Yes, the TV Server device has already a fixed IP adress (set on the DHCP router).

The MediaPortal TV server program is also set tu use specifically this fixed IP (in his setup program, in the "Streaming server" properties, uncheck "(auto)" in the "IP adress used [...]").

Each Kodi MediaPortal plugin in client devices are also parametred to use the same IP adress (and not the name of the TV server).

Everything worked fine like this until the major update of Windows an April 2018. Since then, no way to make it work again (neither firewall configuration, nor SMB 1 reactivation, etc.). I'm really getting mad...
(2018-08-31, 10:42)JeePeCe Wrote:
(2018-08-31, 10:17)mcelliott Wrote: Does your TV server have a fixed IP address?

Yes, the TV Server device has already a fixed IP adress (set on the DHCP router).

The MediaPortal TV server program is also set tu use specifically this fixed IP (in his setup program, in the "Streaming server" properties, uncheck "(auto)" in the "IP adress used [...]").

Each Kodi MediaPortal plugin in client devices are also parametred to use the same IP adress (and not the name of the TV server).

Everything worked fine like this until the major update of Windows an April 2018. Since then, no way to make it work again (neither firewall configuration, nor SMB 1 reactivation, etc.). I'm really getting mad... 
 Hi,

For me, it was working fine with the server name before the April update. After that I had problems.

The only thing I have done different to you is disable IPv6 in the network card on the client side. Perhaps this does make a difference?

Regards,

Mark
(2018-09-02, 18:42)mcelliott Wrote: Hi,

For me, it was working fine with the server name before the April update. After that I had problems.

The only thing I have done different to you is disable IPv6 in the network card on the client side. Perhaps this does make a difference?

Regards,

Mark 
Thanks for your response.

I already disabled IPv6 protocol on client, but it didn't fix the problem.

Greatings.
@JeePeCe : Could you post a log file from the TV Server? I want to make sure that the TVServerKodi plugin is actually enabled?
Can you access file shares on the PC that is running the TV Server?
Check also your virusscanner settings. Some virusscanners also implement firewall-like features.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Hi margro,

For me, if I browse the network on the TV server, I can see all other devices on the network. If I do the same on the Windows 10 client, I cannot, although if I manually type a device name, I can connect to it.

The server is also running Windows 10 with the April update.

There is obviously something different, but I haven't managed to find time to systematically compare settings in the two machines and find what is going on.

Best wishes,

Mark
Hallo All,

for firts ... i thing i have the solution and know the reason.

I have setup completly new Windows 10 Installation (last Updates January 2019) with Mediaportal 2 Server and Kodi 18 RC + one another remote Kodi 18 RC Client. I have make a fresh channel search and dont import any Settings in Kodi and in MediaPortal Server 2. So far all had working. Only The SMB 1 Suport must be enabled that Kodie Remote Client can Access the Shares on the Windows 10. So far so good.

For a Reason that its not important i had to reinstall Mediaportal Server2 and now i have import the Channels and Channel Groups that i have backup bevor. Then i run in the same Problem that you have report here. The Remote Client just stock on 0% Channel import. After a long night Seassion i have found the reason. That was the Channel / Channel Group Import! The solution ... delete all Channelgroups that was imported from Backup and recreate new. Then Add the needet Channels in it. Since this its works again! I have test it two times with always the same result.

Becourse i have fight with it long time i will share my solution. I hope its help you also. Please report if it was the same.
Hi

This worked for me:

Go to settings - windows security - firewall & network protection.

Click on "advanced settings" link

Click on Action tab -  select "New rule"

Choose radio button "port"

Next

Type in 9596 in specific port box

Next

Select radio button "allow the connection"

Next twice

Type in a name for the rule

Finish

Hope this works for you

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help