Solved I really want to love Kodi, but... Kodi makes it hard
Bug 
Hoping I can get a little help.

For years I've run Kodi off a Raspberry Pi, and it was fine.  Read form my NAS and played anything I threw at it, no complaints.

Then 4K came along, and my Raspberry Pi couldn't hack it.

So I build a Gigabyte Brix, and it's a beast.  16 GB of RAM, Intel i5... it's more than enough to handle everything.

And I install Mint Linux on it, and that's all fine.

And then the Kodi version from the default Mint application manager... is old.  Fine, I can fix that.  Just wasted an hour trying to get the Estuary skin installed before I realized I had the wrong version of Kodi.  I'm starting to feel stupid.

And then Kodi loads, and it sucks in all my videos.  And it pulls down metadata crazy fast (at least compared to the Raspberry Pi), and I'm loving life.

I love that I can use the actor views, and year views, and it's a delight.

So I download a bunch more movies, and run Filebot against a lot of the "sets" I had manually joined together -- I just named them all the same so they'd show up together in the list... like "Alien (1986) - Aliens" -- anyway an hour or so renaming everything and I rescan the database and it's good to go.

Only there are dupes.  No problem, I can use the clean tool.  And it works.

And life is great.

For a day.

Now I've copied over about 20 more movies and none of them show up.  And I'm feeling really stupid that I spent so much money and time on this.

And when I go to hit "Update library" all that happens is it hangs on "Scanning movies using the Internet Movie Database..." -- it's at 12% of the first new movie.

And I go to quit and restart Kodi, and it Kodi freezes.  Like full hang, won't do anything.

And I force quit, and reboot Linux, and restart Kodi... and it gets to 12% and hangs.

When it works, man I'm loving it.  But then I hit this sort of issue.  And I don't know what to do next. 

I wish there were an easy in the interface to remove a source, and all the data associated with it, so I can re-add and have it re-scan.

Anyone dealt with anything like this?  Any suggestions?
(2018-05-23, 18:02)dbg913 Wrote: Any suggestions?

Post your Debug Log (wiki).
I went to download Kodi Logfile Uploader, and it hangs at 0%.

I'm able to see weather updates, and pull YouTube video trailers from Kodi... so I don't think it's an internet connectivity issue.  And able to connect to the web from Firefox in Linux.

Any suggestions?
(2018-05-23, 18:32)dbg913 Wrote: I went to download Kodi Logfile Uploader, and it hangs at 0%.

Navigate to the location of the log file https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced#Location open it and copy the contents to paste bin then post the link here.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Kodi also freezes when I try to exit.  And since I've set Kodi as a startup app... as soon as Linux comes up I'm back in Kodi.

So I'm stuck in Kodi.
Can you access from another device?
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Removed logs.

Didn't feel they had anything useful in them.
I just deleted everything under /home/myprofile/.kodi/ and am starting over.  Seems to read in files OK now.  But... any idea what went wrong?  Love to know how to avoid having to re-import my entire library every day. (=

Cheers!
Since you're using Linux Mint, it might be this python-cryptography bug: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331917
Hey, that seems about right.  I couldn't install Aerial either.  Yeah, sweet.

Thanks for this link!

I assume someone already filed a bug report?  These little work arounds are really a time sink.  Finding them mostly.

Back to loving Kodi again.  Debated installing Windows 10 on this box, but... all I'll ever use it for is videos.  Mint seemed like a good enough option.
(2018-05-23, 18:55)dbg913 Wrote: Removed logs.

Didn't feel they had anything useful in them.

Good way to get support in here Wink

We would probably have seen that in your logs. Unfortunately you decided what we might be able to see Wink
Personally I'd say it you don't want to risk complications then it's best stick to vanilla Ubuntu and use the official PPA's to grab the Kodi packages.
(2018-05-24, 11:43)jjd-uk Wrote: Personally I'd say it you don't want to risk complications then it's best stick to vanilla Ubuntu and use the official PPA's to grab the Kodi packages.
 Yeah, switched to Ubuntu and it's night and day different.  Everything is perfect, no complications on install or updating files.

No brainer, just use Ubuntu.  Wish I hadn't wasted so much time with Mint.

Thanks!
Thread marked solved.
(2018-05-25, 18:32)dbg913 Wrote: Wish I hadn't wasted so much time with Mint

Mint's a great desktop system... but your requirements were that you wanted a media player, rather than a desktop system - so Ubuntu seems to be the most commonplace (and best-supported) distro here.

Treat it as a learning experience!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I really want to love Kodi, but... Kodi makes it hard0