• 1(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
Lightbulb 
(Updated September 2020)

WARNING ! - All hardware running Kodi will have issues with Atmos audio dropouts with high bitrate Atmos Disney (click) & Atmos audio (click) Bluray Rips - the exception is Android platforms like the Nvidia Shield (probably the 2016 Mi Box too) that has a fix in the Android OS - ExoPlayer (click) - AND on those platforms you have to use Plex (click) for playback.

NEW

The aim of this thread is not to play one media player off against the other but simply to collect known issues across various media players into one central condensed thread so potential buyers can be informed about various problems and limitations that may affect them personally if buying 4K HDR10 capable hardware.

This thread will be updated as various issues get fixed, and those issues are confirmed tested & fixed by more than a single user AND media player sellers release stable Firmware updates to the general public.
If anything is missing/incorrect and considered a serious issue please let me know.

*** Gigabit Ethernet (1000M) is needed for reliable 7.1 HD audio - high bitrate 4K HDR Bluray Rip home networked streaming. ***

DolbyVision:
  • There is No Bluray ISO Rip / Dual Layer DolbyVision - direct video playback possible on any Kodi type Media Player due to no software support available to reverse engineer (licensed) Dolby proprietary tech.
  • DolbyVision Rips have to be pre-processed (click) into a .ts file containing THD/Atmos and Single Layer DolbyVision video as described in this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2944937
  • With the resulting Single Layer DV and lossless - TrueHD/Atmos .ts file you can then....
  • Playback DV video with Dolby TrueHD/Atmos audio on the 2019 Nvidia Shield using Plex. (Kodi playback does NOT work (click))
  • HOWEVER there still appear to be reported 2019 Shield, DV color output issues - see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2945237
  • The FireTV Stick 4K looks to have the same sort of LPCM audio and DV support (click)
  • The Apple TV 4K needs DV Profile 5 for playback compatibility (click) and then use the Infuse App for playback. ATV 4K supports 7.1 lossless LPCM audio (you lose Atmos Metadata after THD/Atmos decoding)
  • The MrMC App on the ATK 4K has color outputs (click) issues with ripped DV content.

NEW: DolbyVision vs HDR10+ on 2019 Panasonic OLED's (click)

IMPORTANT - November 2019 -->>> Correct - media player HDMI MaxCLL/FALL HDR metadata output ?
Does it even matter if your expensive 4K HDR TV can do it's own version of Dynamic Tone Mapping ?
-->>> the following post needs to be read https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2897271

Also this thread is a good background pre-read about what to look for with seamless SDR & 4K HDR usage...
Auto Frame Rate Switching & Dynamic Range Matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware (click)

4K HDR10 capable platforms.

In no particular order....

RPi4 & Intel x86_64 - Linux / LibreELEC
Intel x86_64
  • NEW - 4K HDR support Now available with Windows and Kodi v19 using THIS ongoing development build (click) & there is also another - independant - Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API build available HERE (click)
  • That first linked build also has full Bluray Menus support.
  • No 4K HDR support when using Linux or LibreELEC or standard Windows Kodi.
  • No Linux 10bit HEVC decode support (needed for 4K) when using NVIDIA Graphics cards.
  • Previously 4K HDR Windows Kodi needed....
  • Windows 7 or latter and a Nvidia or AMD GPU that does 10bit HEVC hardware decoding + Kodi DSPlayer build (Jarvis or Krypton)
  • Current best & cheapest option is an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
  • Custom HDR10 Kodi: Any official Kodi Windows build combined with an external media player that supports madVR, such as Media Player Classic.
  • Windows 4K HDR Netflix hardware requirements are listed HERE (click)

Nvidia Shield - Experience Upgrade 8.2 (click):
  • 2019 Shield TV Pro/Tube is the most powerful, most expensive Android hardware on the market for Android Kodi usage.
  • WARNING ! - 2019 Shield TV DolbyVision color issues reported, see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2945237
  • Users should always consult the Nvidia forums for the latest status on 4K HDR issues. Click the Experience Upgrade link.
  • HDR to SDR or BT.2020 to BT.709 conversions Not supported on any Shield for SDR only displays.
  • 2015/2017 Shields - No DolbyVision Apps support vs what the competition are providing.
  • Ongoing issues and long standing concerns... (inc. Pie & Oreo)
  • VC-1 - Bluray Rips still produce Artifacts and Green Screens (click)
  • 1080i mpeg2 TV - stuttering video playback (click)
  • Google's Android TV uses a 1080p GUI only, which is not as sharp looking the bigger a 4K display gets.
  • 2015/2017 Shield - Relatively poor 1080p > 4K hardware upscaled picture quality vs what the competition and a 4K TV can output using it's superior upscaling hardware. This is due to the poor hardware upscaler in the old (but still fast) Maxwell GPU, that the Shield uses.
  • 2015/2017 Shield - Kodi v18 Leia & MrMC Apps can work around this poor upscaling with auto 4K <<-->>1080p resolution switching, however then....
  • What about high quality picture upscaling for all other non Kodi Apps ?
  • For Apps usage - only Kodi, MrMC, Plex and Emby can reliably auto refresh switch at an OS system level for smooth video playback.
  • Be aware the 2015/2017 Shield has no Dolby Audio licence, so Apps that stream 5.1 DD+ Audio like Netflix and Amazon Video needs a HDMI connected DD+ audio receiver. Otherwise expect 2.0 audio only from such Apps.
  • NO 4K HDR YouTube or 4K HDR Google Play movies support either due to the Shield unable to decode Google's VP9 profile 2.
    4K SDR YT only - even on the new 2019 Shield TV Pro (click)

2019 - ODROID N2 running CoreELEC Kodi Leia (click):
  • Snappy AMLogic S922X device with great output picture quality.
  • The best passive heatsink design I've ever seen.
  • AML devices like the N2 running the v4.9 AML Linux Kernel output correct 4K HDR Infoframe Metadata
  • The best bang for the buck, most powerful, Plug n Play - ARM based Linux board for 4K HDR Kodi Leia, currently on the market.
  • For 4K HLG, Mavic Pro 2 - Drone recordings & BBC 4K HDR TV content lovers HLG HDR playback is supported.
  • Kodi Leia - YouTube Addon - 4K HDR (VP9 p2) does not output HDR.
  • Audio passthru inc. DTS:X and Multichannel 24bit/192kHz LPCM works just fine.
  • HOWEVER as noted at the top of this post - High bitrate Disney Atmos and audio Bluray Rips may have problems.
  • Excellent HDMI CEC control with lots of user adjustability.
  • Really not a lot of limitations for 4K HDR + the majority of HD audio + OTA TV - Kodi Leia usage.

Zidoo Z-series (Z9S & Z10) (click)
  • Kodi doesn't run natively, but Zidoo's fork ZDMC Leia & Krypton-based are both available.
  • ZDMC (Kodi fork) is mostly used a front-end to push media playback to external (native) media player app.
  • 4K HDR with Max CLL/FALL infoframe data passthrough
  • HDR to SDR mapping
  • Fully supports HD audio (including ATMOS & DTS:X) and LPCM.
  • Best player for full 1080p 3D + 4K support in one
  • Deinterlacing for OTA TV has never been a strong performer on this platform.
  • Only SD quality Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Xiaomi Mi Box (Oreo OS) running Kodi Leia (click):
  • No Gigabit Ethernet for high bitrate 4K video playback - a cheap USB3 > Gigabit adapter needs to be used for any high bitrate Video streaming.
  • An ASIX (Ugreen) & Realtek chipset (USB Hub) adapters confirmed working.
  • NO HD audio passthrough at all on the 2018 Mi Box S
  • Multiple options in Android Settings on the Oreo Mi Box for auto HDR to SDR or auto SDR to HDR switching as well as Chroma & bit depth selections.
  • 4K HDR > SDR sort of works but colors are not 100% correct.
  • Kodi Krypton & Leia PVR Addons produces poor quality (half motion) deinterlacing for OTA TV viewing.
  • 60Hz 4K HDR YouTube works if the community modded Webwrapper Smart Youtube TV App (click) is installed.
  • Amazon (Prime) 4K HDR Video works if the v.4.7.9 Prime Video App (click) is installed.

Vero 4(+) running OSMC Kodi (click):
  • A upgraded Vero 4K+(click) (S905D) now being sold with Gigabit Ethernet & includes faster eMMC storage and other tweaks.
  • The original Vero 4K has No Gigabit Ethernet for high bitrate 4K video playback - a cheap USB3 > Gigabit adapter needs to be used to make high bitrate streaming bulletproof.
  • 4K HDR Auto colorspace/bit depth switching not 100% reliable yet for LG OLED's. Fixed for problematic LG displays.
  • Lots of detailed 4K HDR testing and improvements happening with the Vero 4K+
  • The Vero4K+ is now easiest - Plug n Play - 4K HDR Atmos Kodi media player on the market to get up and running. Set and Forget.

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K (click): & New:2019 Amazon FireTV Cube (click)
  • The bargain device of 2018 for USA users. Priced at $35 for Black Friday.
  • Does colorspace switching between SDR, HDR10, and DolbyVision with correct color outputs.
  • BBC 4K HLG HDR iPlayer App playback supported.
  • 4K HDR Bluray Rips playback possible when adding a USB3 > Gigabit Adapter such as the Inateck & Ugreen branded ones or simply using a very good AC MIMO capable WiFi router.
  • Class leading wireless remote.
  • Limitations are Kodi Leia has to be sideloaded (easy).
  • There may be an audio delay problem with AAC audio and Kodi but the MrMC App is fine, which directly installs.
  • NO Bluray Atmos audio passthrough support, but you do get properly implemented Dolby Audio Apps support.
  • Deinterlacing may or may not be a problem, depends where you live in the world it seems.
  • Check FireTV Stick 4K thread for updates.

AMLogic S905 / S912 / S922X / S905X2 platforms running DIY CoreELEC Leia (click):
  • The most powerful AMLogic chipset the new S922X, found in the ODROID N2 (click), has (CoreELEC Leia) 4K HDR and HD audio passthrough support.
  • The New S905X2 / S922X / A311D chipsets, are higher clocked, use less power and subsequently run cooler vs the previous generation.
  • New S905X2 devices now have CoreELEC Kodi Leia 4K HDR + HD audio support.
  • S905 only chipsets do NOT support HDR.
  • S905D Chipsets often come packaged with a TV tuner and GigaE.
  • S912 Chipsets are now the 3rd fastest with a pretty decent CPU/GPU package.
  • Be careful not all platforms come with Gigabit Ethernet.
  • The cheap devices usually always include highly directional, limited range Infra Red only remotes, and also...
  • ..usually have relatively poor Chipset heatsinks and thermal management. MINIX, UGOOS & ODROID Hardware beats all others with quality heatsinks.

Apple TV 4K running the v 3.7.0 MrMC App (click):
  • Superb picture quality with high quality upscaling. Currently the most powerful Plug n Play 4K HDR media player on the market.
  • MrMC = highly modded Kodi Jarvis. Very experienced Ex Kodi developers run the MrMC project. Improvements to the App happen quickly.
  • No additional Kodi Addons or Skin can be installed. You have to use the ones already pre-packaged into MrMC. The upcoming Ariana Skin is very nice ! Big Grin
  • No audio passthrough at all with the ATV 4K so Atmos or DTS:X - audio object metadata is lost, the core TrueHD or DTS-HD MA audio streams will be used.
  • 48kHz/24bit - 5.1 DD/DD+/DTS & 7.1 HD audio is decoded into 5.1 / 7.1 - 48kHz/24bit LPCM for no loss in audio quality, or downmixed into 5.1 DD
  • 24bit FLAC audio > 48kHz will be resampled and output as 24bit/48kHz LPCM.
  • Lossy Dolby ATMOS support was added with tvOS 12.x Firmware, supporting iTunes, VUDU, Netflix, Disney+ and ATV+ (and possibly Amazon).
    Apple TV 4K delivers highest quality cinematic experience with tvOS 12 (Click)
  • WARNING ! - Various models of LG OLED may experience Tone Mapping problems with 4K HDR Rips when played on the ATV 4K, see this post onwards for details: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2909456
  • NO 4K YouTube may be an App limitation for some. 1080p YouTube only.

Zidoo X9S (click):
  • Kodi Leia currently not supported.
  • Does not run Kodi Krypton natively to provide 4K HDR or HD audio passthrough.
  • ZDMC (Kodi fork) is used as a front end for an external media player software.
  • Video Frame Rate microstutters, details and links in THIS post onwards. Fixed !
  • Color banding issues (click) with current Firmware.
  • Improvement to color banding with new Firmware, see THIS Post for details.
  • Deinterlacing for OTA TV has never been a strong performer on this platform.

HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (click)

Further Notes and FAQ's:
  • There is no media player software on any Kodi DolbyVision capable media player, that can playback dual layer - 4K DolbyVision Bluray Rips and output DolbyVision metadata.
  • The Apple TV 4K, FireTV 4K Stick / 2019 Cube and new 2019 Nvidia Shield that are all DV capable can only stream 4K DV from iTunes(not on Shield), Netflix, VUDU and very limited Amazon Prime Video titles using DV single layer, player led, streaming profile 5.
  • The Definitive List Of Dolby Vision Titles Available On Netflix, iTunes, Vudu and Amazon Video (click)
  • Remote controls can be hit and miss in their reliability and Wireless Bluetooth ones can be subject to bad Radio Frequency interference.
  • The worst affected seems to be the 2015 / early 2017 Mini NVIDIA Shield BT remote, with numerous ongoing issues constantly reported as seen in THIS thread (click)
  • An explanation of Bluetooth RF interference issues affecting the Shield and the permanent DIY Hardware fix is in THIS post.
  • The most reliable are the USB dongle WiFi remotes like the Plug n Play - WeChip G20 or the OSMC Mini remote. Not seen any BT interference reported issues with the ATV 4K or new 2019 Nvidia Shield remotes.

W. Big Grin

So is it confirmed that S905X and S905D impose an 8-bit footprint on a 10-bit HDR (or SDR) signal?  That's a pity if that is the case.  I know lots of HDR displays are using 8-bit panels with processing to hit 10-bit dynamic range, but it strikes me that if you have a choice of a device that delivers a clean 10-bit path rather than 10->8->10 which has to use dither to hide the 8-bit quantisation errors, that's a significant issue to be aware of.  Given that you are using a greater dynamic range with HDR content, the 10 vs 8 bit processing is more of an issue than it would be for an SDR 10-bit source (which is rare in the consumer space)

AIUI that's a significant benefit of the S912 SoC isn't it - as it DOES offer a clean path that doesn't require an 8-bit process somewhere in the chain.  I'm assuming that the Apple TV 4K supporting Dolby Vision means it's a clean path, and have heard no suggestion that the nVidia Shield TV imposes an 8-bit process either?
Very very interesting topic about issues on 4K HDR.

I've read the post and also other post in libreelec forum but I do not have a clear idea about which is the best device.
So, If i want a:
- DTS-X/Dolby Atmos passthrough
- Best quality image
- Correct HDR and color space autoswitch
- Correct refresh rate
- HDMI CEC
- Fastest LAN/WIFI
- Development suppot!

AppleTV is discarded, no DTS-HD/X support
Zidoo X9S? Problems of color output?
Vero4k, slow CPU and wifi¿
Minix U9-H with libreelec, best option?

What do u think?

Thanks!
(2018-05-29, 08:22)atomizasser Wrote: Very very interesting topic about issues on 4K HDR.

I've read the post and also other post in libreelec forum but I do not have a clear idea about which is the best device.
So, If i want a:
- Best quality image
- Correct refresh rate
- HDMI CEC
- Fastest LAN/WIFI
- Development suppot!

What do u think?

Thanks!
 Also looking for this!
Was looking at the Intel NUC but it lacks good HD-Audio support, as well as HDR support.
(2018-05-29, 08:22)atomizasser Wrote: Very very interesting topic about issues on 4K HDR.

So, If i want a:
- Best quality image
- Correct refresh rate
- HDMI CEC
- Fastest LAN/WIFI
- Development suppot!

What do u think?

Thanks!

The nVidia ShieldTV may be worth a look.  The Rec.709->Rec.2020 gamut conversion it does may be an acceptable replacement for gamut switching, particularly as it is supposed to improve with the current rollout of Oreo.
(I think we need to be careful to distinguish between gamut and colour space - we seem to be using colour space as a catch-all for multiple things)
(2018-05-29, 19:24)noggin Wrote: The nVidia ShieldTV may be worth a look.  The Rec.709->Rec.2020 gamut conversion it does may be an acceptable replacement for gamut switching, particularly as it is supposed to improve with the current rollout of Oreo.
(I think we need to be careful to distinguish between gamut and colour space - we seem to be using colour space as a catch-all for multiple things)
Potential Shield purchasers may want to keep reading this Oreo thread (click)
And also remember this thread concerning HDR and HD audio inc. Atmos:
- Issues with 4K HDR & HD Audio passthrough if using Ethernet, click HERE for details.

For info - I keep reading Apple TV 4K users utilising "Neural X" audio processing on their AVR's to produce decent quality Atmos like 3D audio.

(2018-05-30, 01:29)wrxtasy Wrote: For info - I keep reading Apple TV 4K users utilising "Neural X" audio processing on their AVR's to produce decent quality Atmos like 3D audio.

Neural:X only if DTS:X is supported by that device. Dolby has a similar one called "Dolby Surround" but both do a really good job.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
So if I were to choose between a MINIX U9-H and a Inte nuc Gemini Lake for 4k and DTS-HD Audio support. HDR is welcome but not a dealbreaker. 

What would be the best choice?
I want it simple and stable and preferly with Kodi (family friendly)

Thats the 2 options im looking at now, with a budget around 400$
Simply = an integrated Wireless remote so no more missed button pressings. And if it's DIY = set (settings) once and forget for auto everything.
I get this with LibreELEC on the MINIX U9.
It also has HDMI-CEC control so when I turn the U9 - OFF / ON with the Wireless remote it also turns the TV and AVR - OFF / ON. Works nicely for me.

Intel has no HDMI-CEC control out of the box, but it will be a faster device if you use a SSD and DDR4 RAM. You pay for the privilege.
Intel Windows Kodi would give you what you want, I'm unsure of Intel HD audio passthrough status with Linux or LibreELEC these days.
The Intel Gemini Lake thread would have more info about this.

If it's Plug n (networked) Play you want get a ATV 4K = excellent picture quality, a really slick, family friendly, easy to use GUI and Apps like MrMC of Infuse will give you what you want.
Your DTS-HD capable AVR should easily be able to handle this with the ATV 4K:
5.1 DD/DTS & 7.1 HD audio is loslessly (bit perfect) decoding into 5.1 / 7.1 - 24bit 48kHz LPCM for no loss in Audio quality or downmixed into 5.1 DD

(2018-05-31, 06:13)wrxtasy Wrote: 5.1 DD/DTS & 7.1 HD audio is loslessly (bit perfect) decoding into 5.1 / 7.1 - 24bit 48kHz LPCM for no loss in Audio quality or downmixed into 5.1 DD

Yep - the ATV copes fine with lossless decode of 48kHz (didn't know it did 24 bit but that's good to know) 5.1/7.1 HD Audio - but AIUI it doesn't support output of 96/192kHz stuff losslessly and downsamples to 48kHz doesn't it? (An issue if you listen to audiophile stuff, or have the Akira 5.1 192kHz Blu-ray Smile )
(2018-05-30, 02:41)timstephens24 Wrote: Neural:X only if DTS:X is supported by that device. Dolby has a similar one called "Dolby Surround" but both do a really good job.
Are you saying a media player must support DTS:X in order for Neural:X to work? Or did you mean AVR? I assume latter. I use Neural:X with all non Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X sources and the results are quite impressive.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Yeah, the AVR.  I generally use Neural:X for anything not Atmos/DTS:X like you.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2018-05-31, 19:17)hdmkv Wrote:
(2018-05-30, 02:41)timstephens24 Wrote: Neural:X only if DTS:X is supported by that device. Dolby has a similar one called "Dolby Surround" but both do a really good job.
Are you saying a media player must support DTS:X in order for Neural:X to work? Or did you mean AVR? I assume latter. I use Neural:X with all non Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X sources and the results are quite impressive. 
 Yes, Neural X was release with DTS:X and Dolby Surround was released Dolby ATMOS so if your device doesn't support DTS:X or ATMOS the upmixer codec (Neural X and DTS:X) will not included
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Where are the players with HiSilicon Hi3798C V200 SoC?
(2018-06-04, 10:31)djnice Wrote: Where are the players with HiSilicon Hi3798C V200 SoC?

I don't think any of the developers have tried to develop a LibreElec/CoreElec build for them, possibly due to there being no details or Linux drivers for the VPU drivers required for hardware acceleration?

For Android - I guess you can try the standard Android Kodi app...

If they are using an external player (like Zidoo) they will attract less interest I guess - as they aren't using Kodi as their main playback engine?

Plus wrxtasy et al may just not have them - for the above reasons.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209